Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Does this look like a normal engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Does this look like a normal engine bay?

Hi y’all - thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.

I’m looking for used cars for my stepson who absolutely loves Scions. I stumbled across a 2015 with low mileage (but with a rebuilt title...that’s a discussion for another day) and I noticed the engine bay looked “old”. By old I mean it looks way more weathered than what I’d expect for a 4 year old car with less than 50k miles.

For example, the manifold in front has rust and the valve cover/block has significant pitting (maybe from a non-compatible cleaner?) and the hoses have this weird white residue on them, yet the coils and a few of the wire harnesses look brand new.
I’m attaching a photo...what do y’all think?

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-25-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 08-25-2019, 11:40 PM
SL Member

A used car lot prob. spayed it with a power washer. I dont like that but to late now.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is a "rebuilt title" the same as a salvage title? That would be my biggest concern. I wouldn't worry too much about the rusty manifold shield. That said, I would look for rust elsewhere. The manifold shield also looks like it's covered with sand or road salt, two more reasons to check for rust elsewhere. If possible, put the car on a lift and look underneath. The valve cover is a casting. It probably didn't look very good from the factory. At least mine didn't. Not sure about the white residue on the hoses. I can't comment on the coils. The coil harness connectors are common replacements because the locking part of the connector is easily broken.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Is a "rebuilt title" the same as a salvage title? That would be my biggest concern. I wouldn't worry too much about the rusty manifold shield. That said, I would look for rust elsewhere. The manifold shield also looks like it's covered with sand or road salt, two more reasons to check for rust elsewhere. If possible, put the car on a lift and look underneath. The valve cover is a casting. It probably didn't look very good from the factory. At least mine didn't. Not sure about the white residue on the hoses. I can't comment on the coils. The coil harness connectors are common replacements because the locking part of the connector is easily broken.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the response! I pulled a Carfax....the previous owner had three! accidents: 2 with minor front and rear damage, but the third (a sideswipe) caused extensive damage to the left side. From what I can tell there is no frame damage and all of the body damage has been repaired. I didn’t put it on a lift or anything yet but I didnt’ see any visible rust. What amazes me is he’s selling it at only a slight discount with that sordid history.

Thanks for the feedback on the engine bay. I feel a little better now about the condition although I doubt I’ll be able to talk this guy down to a fair price on this car. It’s a shame too...it’s very clean otherwise and I think my stepson will love it.