Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

EB60 (tC2 Bearing Kit?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM
SL Member

Exclamation EB60 (tC2 Bearing Kit?)

First post on this site, been doing quite a bit of research. Bit of background:

I have myself a 2011 Scion tC 6 Speed, on which I'm in progress of removing the transmission to do a clutch job. This is my first time doing any of this (clutch or tranny) but I'm determined and mechanically inclinded anyway with a service manual in hand so I should be alright.

Now as I've read, the EB60 trans has had issues with its input shaft bearing making the classic supercharger noise, and mine of course has the same issue. I am aware that Toyota has covered some people under warranty for this, but I am wayy over warranty so that isn't exactly an option.
On the other hand I've heard people say they had the bearing replaced by the dealer, yet the sound came back a few later.

My question is:

1. Has anyone kept on driving with the sound? If so any issues with your transmission or running good?
2. Where can I source a bearing kit for this transmission (or a rebuild kit) other than a dealer? Dealer has OEM parts but if they keep on going bad, anything upgraded?

Or does anyone know specs on the bearing (to possibly get a different style bearing installed?) Maybe from a EB62 (the Camry trans - heard its very similar)

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-27-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So this is commonly referred to as the throwout bearing. In the short term it is probably fine to drive on it for a short amount of time, but the bearing is failing, and can come apart once its tolerances are pushed past a certain point. If it comes apart then ball bearings and potentially shards of metal can make their way inside the transmission and cause some serious damage. A new TOB should be supplied with a new clutch kit, what brand clutch did you go with that did not come with one? Every clutch I've installed came with a new bearing. If you're putting in another Toyota clutch, just grab the TOB from them as this only seemed to effect the 11-13's and the new part shouldn't carry the same issue. It's just one of those things tho, not much you can do about it if it happens again other than to swap it out and alter your driving habits if it is repeatedly happening (don't rest your foot on the clutch, don't excessively ride the clutch, etc).
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
So this is commonly referred to as the throwout bearing. In the short term it is probably fine to drive on it for a short amount of time, but the bearing is failing, and can come apart once its tolerances are pushed past a certain point. If it comes apart then ball bearings and potentially shards of metal can make their way inside the transmission and cause some serious damage. A new TOB should be supplied with a new clutch kit, what brand clutch did you go with that did not come with one? Every clutch I've installed came with a new bearing. If you're putting in another Toyota clutch, just grab the TOB from them as this only seemed to effect the 11-13's and the new part shouldn't carry the same issue. It's just one of those things tho, not much you can do about it if it happens again other than to swap it out and alter your driving habits if it is repeatedly happening (don't rest your foot on the clutch, don't excessively ride the clutch, etc).
Nooo, I mean the input shaft bearing. The throwout bearing on this car is one unit with the slave or such, and I'm replacing that anyway. If it was the tob the sound would be there when I press in the clutch as well. For me the sound goes away when the clutch is pressed in. What I'm talking about is the input shaft bearing. What ur saying is correct but not the issue I'm experiencing though. Apparently alot of the tc2s have this issue.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes.. the sound you're describing is most likely from the TOB (clutch pedal moves the fork which effects the TOB sound). If it was from the input shaft it would carry the noise regardless of the position of the clutch pedal. Once you get the old one off give it a spin and it should feel gritty if it even spins freely at all. I've never once heard of a tC2 having an input shaft bearing issue, but a million TOB issues that are exactly what you're describing.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Yes.. the sound you're describing is most likely from the TOB (clutch pedal moves the fork which effects the TOB sound). If it was from the input shaft it would carry the noise regardless of the position of the clutch pedal. Once you get the old one off give it a spin and it should feel gritty if it even spins freely at all. I've never once heard of a tC2 having an input shaft bearing issue, but a million TOB issues that are exactly what you're describing.
I appreciate the input, however I am certain it is the ISB. there are quite a few threads and posts on this site, others and facebook groups for this issue. Matter a fact there is a TSB by Toyota on this. But I will be replacing the release bearing with the clutch as well so no worries there.
Anyone else have any experience?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by areebashar23
I appreciate the input, however I am certain it is the ISB. there are quite a few threads and posts on this site, others and facebook groups for this issue. Matter a fact there is a TSB by Toyota on this. But I will be replacing the release bearing with the clutch as well so no worries there.
Anyone else have any experience?
Hey brother! I also have a manual 2015 tC, and the *rear input shaft bearing" that's the issue, I know because 6mo ago I fought with Toyota and forced them to replace it. There's a bulletin available somewhere on the interwebs and I suggest you take it to them now!!! Mine made the grinding for a bit, the one day
I was driving and the sound suddenly stopped, that's when I said "oh F*** something is about to give". % min later the car came to a screeching halt. Dead EB tranny. Job was free from Toyota but the clutch kit was still roughly $900.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chris_Release_9
Hey brother! i also have a manual 2015 tc, and the *rear input shaft bearing" thats the issue, i know because 6mo ago i fought with toyota and forced them to replace it. there's a bulletin available somewhere on the interwebs and i suggest you take it to them now!!! mine ade the grinding for a bit, the one day i was driving and the sound suddenly stopped, thats when i said "oh F*** somthing is about to give". % min later the car came to a screeching hault. Ded EB tranny. Job was free from toyota byt the clutch kit was still roughly 900
Oh no that doesn't sound pleasing aha. Did you have warranty? I'm out of warranty so it kinda depends on that aha. And yes u have a copy of the tsb for it, Toyota definitely knows this is an issue.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM
SL Member

Luckily I was under warranty, but even with that I still had to get all psycho with the Dealer's Service Manager because they said that I had drag radials on the front tires (they were regular Toyo 19in tires but I digress). Literally doing everything in my power to get them to pay. Almost didn't work NGL. I've been trying to get rid of the tC since then.......when I asked them they (dealer mechanic) said the replaced the part with the same OE part. When I asked them if the same issue would arise again they gave me the retard work around saying that I have to drive the car softer. If the pos car's tranny can't hold stock power before it blows then there's no salvation for these cars with
the manual trans.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 PM
SL Member

All of that plus no aftermarket tranny support, open deck block , open diff, and severely detuned from factory.......ggwp tc in the performance dpt

sorry for the rant, continue
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM
SL Member

First post on this site, been doing quite a bit of research. Bit of background:

I have myself a 2011 Scion tC 6 Speed, on which I'm in progress of removing the transmission to do a clutch job. This is my first time doing any of this (clutch or tranny) but I'm determined and mechanically inclinded anyway with a service manual in hand so I should be alright.

Now as I've read, the EB60 trans has had issues with its input shaft bearing making the classic supercharger noise, and mine of course has the same issue. I am aware that Toyota has covered some people under warranty for this, but I am wayy over warranty so that isn't exactly an option.
On the other hand I've heard people say they had the bearing replaced by the dealer, yet the sound came back a few later.

My question is:

1. Has anyone kept on driving with the sound? If so any issues with your transmission or running good?
2. Where can I source a bearing kit for this transmission (or a rebuild kit) other than a dealer? Dealer has OEM parts but if they keep on going bad, anything upgraded?

Or does anyone know specs on the bearing (to possibly get a different style bearing installed?) Maybe from a EB62 (the Camry trans - heard its very similar)

_______
There is a replacement bearing for it. 9036335080 is the number I used and also replaced the rear input bearing along with a new CSC= concentric slave cylinder and also known as a release bearing, what most people refer to as a throw out bearing. The noise/growling is gone. My car had this TSB done before I bought it used but started making this noise and went through all the dealer ____ BS and at the end of the run around I did the correct repair to the transmission, because they said it needed a new one and would cost me $5250.
Anyway, good luck fighting for the TSB.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:45 PM
SL Member

Luckily I was under warranty, but even with that I still had to get all psycho with the Dealer's Service Manager because they said that I had drag radials on the front tires (they were regular Toyo 19in tires but I digress). Literally doing everything in my power to get them to pay. Almost didn't work NGL. I've been trying to get rid of the tC since then.......when I asked them they (dealer mechanic) said the replaced the part with the same OE part. When I asked them if the same issue would arise again they gave me the retard work around saying that I have to drive the car softer. If the pos car's tranny can't hold stock power before it blows then there's no salvation for these cars with
the manual trans.

________
Stealerships for you ahah. I wont be going through them since I'm already out of warrant and don't get any work done from em anyway (why pay for something I can do?) so I wont have the "I always maintain my cars from you guys" argument.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:47 PM
SL Member

All of that plus no aftermarket tranny support, open deck block , open diff, and severely detuned from factory.......ggwp tc in the performance dpt

sorry for the rant, continue
True though
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikelMykelz

There is a replacement bearing for it. 9036335080 is the number I used and also replaced the rear input bearing along with a new CSC= concentric slave cylinder and also known as a release bearing, what most people refer to as a throw out bearing. The noise/growling is gone. My car had this TSB done before I bought it used but started making this noise and went through all the dealer ____ BS and at the end of the run around I did the correct repair to the transmission, because they said it needed a new one and would cost me $5250.
Anyway, good luck fighting for the TSB.
That the OEM part number yeah? I was hoping to get something improved or aftermarket but still cant find anything. I ain't tryna fight the dealer since I already know imma lose considering I do my own maintenance and all :D

Did you replace the bearing yourself or had it done? I have the trans out now so I'm trying to figure what to do while I'm here.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:05 PM
SL Member

That the OEM part number yeah? I was hoping to get something improved or aftermarket but still cant find anything. I ain't tryna fight the dealer since I already know imma lose considering I do my own maintenance and all :D

Did you replace the bearing yourself or had it done? I have the trans out now so I'm trying to figure what to do while I'm here.
I got it from the TSB part required. I had couple issues too, popped out of third ( why they said it needs a new transmission) and worn out clutch. So I did a major saving on doing it myself, because I am a diesel mechanic and have done clutches and overhauls on heavy duty transmissions.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM
SL Member

I got it from the TSB part required. I had couple issues too, popped out of third ( why they said it needs a new transmission) and worn out clutch. So I did a major saving on doing it myself, because I am a diesel mechanic and have done clutches and overhauls on heavy duty transmissions.
You think it's doable myself? Haven't done a transmission before but looking st the tsb for it and the repair manual/disassembly for the trans it seems doable. Anything else you recommend replacing in there while it's open?
and how's the new bearing holding up?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 PM
SL Member

You think it's doable myself? Haven't done a transmission before but looking st the tsb for it and the repair manual/disassembly for the trans it seems doable. Anything else you recommend replacing in there while it's open?
and how's the new bearing holding up?
I believe if someone thinks they can do it, they most likely will be able to—-especially if ya got the manual. I used Pro-Demand as a guide too, because there are always peculiar steps sometimes. Pressing the bearings and gears off the shaft maybe tricky, if you don’t have a press. I used the one at my work. And of course “pay attention” to how it comes apart and mark items if you need to.

As far as replacing internal parts, depends on wear, but there are two non-reusable items, the snap rings on the shaft.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:03 AM
SL Member

I believe if someone thinks they can do it, they most likely will be able to—-especially if ya got the manual. I used Pro-Demand as a guide too, because there are always peculiar steps sometimes. Pressing the bearings and gears off the shaft maybe tricky, if you don’t have a press. I used the one at my work. And of course “pay attention” to how it comes apart and mark items if you need to.

As far as replacing internal parts, depends on wear, but there are two non-reusable items, the snap rings on the shaft.
So update: I've got the trans case all open, but I'm not sure what bearing I'm trying to replace. Is it the green one right up top? And if so how do I go about removing it?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 AM
SL Member

There is a snap ring above it, ( that is one of the non-reusable parts,) you have to use snap ring pliers to expand it off the shaft groove- And, also you have to get under it ( the bearing and between the gear and use something close to the shaft),
but don’t rub against it-(the shaft) to pull it off. Look up “bearing splitter” on line, because it allows the tool to angle between what needs separated. That is what I used to act as a aid to help remove the bearing.
This also helps to remove the gears as well to get to the last shaft bearing that is pressed on.

PM me if you need more help.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-12-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM
SL Member

There is a snap ring above it, ( that is one of the non-reusable parts,) you have to use snap ring pliers to expand it off the shaft groove- And, also you have to get under it ( the bearing and between the gear and use something close to the shaft),
but don’t rub against it-(the shaft) to pull it off. Look up “bearing splitter” on line, because it allows the tool to angle between what needs separated. That is what I used to act as a aid to help remove the bearing.
This also helps to remove the gears as well to get to the last shaft bearing that is pressed on.

PM me if you need more help.

______
Perfectoo! Really appreciate the pictures. I just decided to pay 20 bucks for a local mechanic to take it off. Gonna take some measurements and see inside the bearing to see whats up and possibly why it keeps failing!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:51 PM
SL Member

So this is what the bearing looks like fresh outta the trans. Noticed some discoloration after I wiped it down with some brake cleaner but that might be due to applied hest in the removal process.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-15-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: EB60 (tC2 Bearing Kit?)