Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Few Questions regarding to CAI, Exhaust and Header.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM

What do u mean at the wheels or just in general? And the tuning, how is that done? What CAI and Exhaust do you have on? I was thinking on the Megan Drift Spec Exhaust Blue Tip and the Injen CAI as well as the Weapon R header do to it been cheaper than the Dezod's Green Header. Also Im automatic. xD
Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yoToco94
What do u mean at the wheels or just in general? And the tuning, how is that done? What CAI and Exhaust do you have on? I was thinking on the Megan Drift Spec Exhaust Blue Tip and the Injen CAI as well as the Weapon R header do to it been cheaper than the Dezod's Green Header. Also Im automatic. xD
At the wheels means how much power is put down to the actual ground once it goes through the transmission and axles, and in general I meant crank (motor only). For CAI I have the AEM ETI, and for exhaust I made a straight pipe axle back.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm loving my Megan exhaust it sounds great especially with the weapon r header
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Awesome. Another thing that has me worried is the CEL. =/ I dont want that Check Engine Light on, how do I deal with it when I get the aftermarket parts?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends what aftermarket parts you put on. If you run a CAI, you shouldn't have any CEL. For exhaust, you can get a O2 simulator depending on what part of the exhaust you work on.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you buy a weapon r header you just put the CEL eliminator on your s-pipe when your installing the header and that will fix the cel issue mine worked great
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing should cause you a cel except A header and that's what the eliminator is for
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
Nothing should cause you a cel except A header and that's what the eliminator is for
Some CAI can cause a CEL because the MAF does not meter the air properly.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM

And this CEL eliminator comes with the header? and well of what Ive read here, the Injen CAI has not cause any trouble whatsoever.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And this CEL eliminator comes with the header? and well of what Ive read here, the Injen CAI has not cause any trouble whatsoever.
Not always depends where you buy it normally header is about 250-300 eliminator is usually 30-50 some companies throw it in
Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 AM

I found on a website like a few days ago that the Weapon R Header brought the CEL eliminator as a "bonus". I guess I'll look it up there. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure, I have an AEM with the ETI chip.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member

If i buy a weapon r header does it passes the annual inspection of the car?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snipykumar
If i buy a weapon r header does it passes the annual inspection of the car?
Depends on your location and what the standards are. In my area, if I do not through a CEL I am ok, however, I would fail the visual if it were a catlass header.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member

Ok but lets say that they put the metal on the exhaust that reads the emission would it pass the inspection?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 AM

WHats an ETI chip? :S
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snipykumar
Ok but lets say that they put the metal on the exhaust that reads the emission would it pass the inspection?
What metal? Are you talking about the sniffer? Don't know of any new car requiring a roller wheel emission test. However, if it is catless, then no it won't pass. Search on your local area requirements.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHats an ETI chip? :S
Electronically Tuned Intake. Look up on AEM's website, they explain how it works and why.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok let me be the dream breaker since all these guys here are giving you what you want to know instead of what you should know ... 1st off your goal of 205 hp to the wheels or crank is not achievable n/a period ... 2nd its not all about hp its about how quick your car is & how much power you can put to the ground ... 3rd there is no bolt on mod that will "add" horse power only "free up" lost or wasted power ... Ok now for the knowledge part ... Don't believe what the box or website tells you only cold hard dyno numbers ... If you had full bolt ons h/i/e you wouldn't see more then 170 "w"hp ... Maybe a tiny bit more with a tune ... Your best bet to beat an si would be weight reduction bc our cars have a lot of @$$ to them & are about 300-400 lbs heavier then an si ... Our advantage is our torque ... So if you want the most out of a tc naturally aspirated then I would suggest full bolt ons "+" light weight pully, light weight flywheel, light weight wheels with good rubber & a firm motor mount to put all that power to the ground and a short shifter to help you get there ... You could also get a LSD but wouldn't help much if not turboed ... If you get all that I can almost guarantee you will walk all over si's all day long (just remember that this only applies to stock si's bc you barley see an unmodded Honda ) ... So there you go hope this helps

Last edited by darwintheory; 12-23-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here's how it usually goes for the new tC vs the 8th gen Si. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLBO1LSRr8

As you can see, it will be pretty even because of the torque. Remember, they make 197HP, but at ~7800RPM= takes a while to get to the peak power and it doesn't last very long(~500RPM). Check a dyno graph for a stock Civic Si and you'll see that they don't have a very efficient power band. In simpler terms, how much power your making throughout the RPMs is almost just as important as how much peak power you have. This is the reason why 6 cylinders are usually faster than 4 cylinders: power delivery.

Oh and don't forget, 170tq vs 139tq ;)

Quick Reply: Few Questions regarding to CAI, Exhaust and Header.