Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Intake?

I was looking at the TRD Intake and I am assuming that the filter is slightly different from the high flow filter that TRD offers correct? Also is their some type of gauge that comes with it so see if you need to re oil the filter?
I am probably going to get this soon just have a few questions. Also I believe the snorkel is a little bit longer and wider vs the stock one. My TRD high flow filter shall be here tomorrow I will post pics in the morning.

If you have the TRD Intake please post what the filter looks like thanks...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

It is the same filter...as TRD.

No oil on the filter...

The snorkel is made of rubber instead of plastic (much thicker too) and larger in diameter...I don't think that it is any longer though.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response. I am getting the OEM replacement high flow filter 8:00a.m sharp EST time tomorrow, and I will post pics of it. I think the Toyota/Scion engineers did a great job looking at the Intake photos so far.
It is pricey, but I'm going to try it @ the end of this month. I see the the notch on the top left of my intake is not on yours. The bottom portion of the air box looks identical.

Stock photo

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^on trdsparks it notes TRD's high-flow filter as an oiled filter: "the TRD performance air filter features a unique, oiled four-ply cotton gauze design that maximizes the filter’s media area for superb filtration and enhanced airflow."

the TRD intake doesn't replace the bottom part of the stock intake, correct? doesn't that mean that having a bigger snorkel doesn't improve performance much since the size of the hole that connects snorkel to the bottom of intake box is still the stock size.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are "1stone's" pictures. Looking at the pics, it does look "much thicker too and larger in diameter," as "2tCornot2tC" stated. The snorkel is more roundish vs OEM rectangled style.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD recommends to use their Air Filter Cleaning Kit which is PTR43-00088 for their high flow air filter PTR43-00084.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by donsun
the TRD intake doesn't replace the bottom part of the stock intake, correct?
Correct!

Originally Posted by donsun
doesn't that mean that having a bigger snorkel doesn't improve performance much since the size of the hole that connects snorkel to the bottom of intake box is still the stock size.
Not quite...
The OEM snorkel tapers way down to a much smaller inlet diameter...
The TRD snorkel does not look like it tapers at all...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will post a video later comparing OEM vs TRD hig flow. No driving though. As promised some pictures.

The TRD high flow air filter box

Filter on top of the TRD box

TRD high flow filter instructions to use cleaning kit and oil it at every service interval

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get that thing installed like pronto so I can see it tomorrow

I'll bust out some tape and measure your snorkel. LOL I yanked the OEM one off last night, just seems like an odd design feature.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes indeed I am uploading the video now. Youtube is processing it etc. I did a comparisson, short and sweet sort of... Everytime I get my hands on a filter, the filter strip bends lol... I didn't feel like converting it in HD since the video is like 4 mins, but hopefully the video quality will show you what it looks like

Last edited by mdiluxe; 06-03-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres the video...

Last edited by mdiluxe; 06-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can any of you folks, with the TRD system already setup, shed some light into what the intake from the new upper box to the TB consist of? From the photos it looks like a red coupler attached to a new tube heading to the TB. What is that tube made of, any guesses?

As well, where does the vacuum hose connect to, did that just drop down below the MAF Sensor, or where?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Can any of you folks, with the TRD system already setup, shed some light into what the intake from the new upper box to the TB consist of? From the photos it looks like a red coupler attached to a new tube heading to the TB. What is that tube made of, any guesses?

As well, where does the vacuum hose connect to, did that just drop down below the MAF Sensor, or where?
Also does it have or add a nice induction sound? I've already ordered the Descendant intake but id like to purchase the TRD CAI for rainy days

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-31-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

I just tried to take some pictures…too crowded in there. My guess is the tube is made of aluminum and the crank case vent has another tube that is welded near the throttle body. The loudness has not really changed…maybe just the pitch a little bit.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks 2tCornot2tC, I'm very curious about where the crank case vent/vacuum hose attaches, since back in the day the Injen SRI's for the xB vented in FRONT of the MAF Sensor which was highly dumb. I have to think TRD would not do this.

Also just debating about spending the cash for a TRD intake if it is just a tube I can duplicate by using Spectre parts from the stock airbox back to the TB, and heck maybe even chopping up the stock snorkel and piping some 3" tubing down into the bumper for colder air...

hrmn... *wheels turning*
Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

Thanks 2tCornot2tC, I'm very curious about where the crank case vent/vacuum hose attaches, since back in the day the Injen SRI's for the xB vented in FRONT of the MAF Sensor which was highly dumb. I have to think TRD would not do this.

Also just debating about spending the cash for a TRD intake if it is just a tube I can duplicate by using Spectre parts from the stock airbox back to the TB, and heck maybe even chopping up the stock snorkel and piping some 3" tubing down into the bumper for colder air...

hrmn... *wheels turning*
MAF sensor is attached to the top of the air box.

The 3” tube is VERY smooth and very nicely made…If you can do that, you are good to go!

If I was to make my own CAI, I’d replace the filter with a K&N and see if I could buy the snorkel from TRD and make tube.

The top of the air cleaner box might be just a tiny bit larger and a TRD logo…
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is pretty much what I'm looking to attempt. The stock snorkel has such an odd shape, like a rounded off square hole, I was debating about just cutting the OEM one, using a coupler to attach tubing, and run this hose from Spectre (google "Spectre Performance - 8741 - Air Ducting" and you'll see it)

Unless of course I can find a way to order just the snorkel from the TRD PAI... no idea how to go about that...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

That is pretty much what I'm looking to attempt. The stock snorkel has such an odd shape, like a rounded off square hole, I was debating about just cutting the OEM one, using a coupler to attach tubing, and run this hose from Spectre (google "Spectre Performance - 8741 - Air Ducting" and you'll see it)

Unless of course I can find a way to order just the snorkel from the TRD PAI... no idea how to go about that...
That Spectre Air Ducting would be good for brake air ducts, but not for this CAI installation. The TRD snorkel is about ¼” thick – it works like an insulator too for the cold air comming in. the Spectre duct is paper thin…no inulating properties to speak of.

Go to your favorite Toyota dealer and ask for the replacement snorkel…or e-mail Sparks and ask…that is what I would do.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Spectre DIY kit kills power imo. Don't bother. Add a quality air filter, remove the stock snorkel on the stock box..enjoy. More power in the mid to upper rpms and about 20% noise increase. It sounds very good without the snorkel. That TRD intake looks nice but I highly doubt it makes any more power than my setup.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mdiluxe
Thanks for the response. I am getting the oem replacement high flow filter 8:00a.m sharp est time tomorrow, and I will post pics of it. I think the toyota/scion engineers did a great job looking at the intake photos so far. It is pricey, but I'm going to try it @ the end of this month. I see the the notch on the top left of my intake is not on yours. The bottom portion of the airbox looks identical.

Stock photo
if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the engine cover? and how much was it?