Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Custom Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Custom Turbo

im looking into purchasing an CT26 turbo out of an MR2. Does anyone know 100% either way if it can attached to the gen2 tC. Im really interested in doing this build and im just wondering if anyone on this forum has had any contact with anyone who has attempted anything like this!

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-12-2011, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ur in the wrong section, post under forced induction. But why buy an old used turbo for a new car? Not to mention u need a lot more then just the turbo for it to work. Seems to me like u need to do a lot of reading b4 u take any action molding ur car. Also we have a few really nice turbo kits already available for our cars.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He could be looking to save some money. But either way, I would not void my powertrain warranty with a used part.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i put it in this section cause people might stumble upon it as not everyone is in the forced induction section but they still may know about this anyways. In addition i have the full kit down pipe and the full kit. The turbo is brand new and has not even been used in the MR2. it was pulled before it was ever used. also my buddies who own a custom shop have the full capabilities to install this turbo. I just wanted to know if anyone had seen it done before?

In addition its a toyota part and a factory turbo so i will not be boosting heavily it will just add a bit more power. Im also getting it for 200 bucks
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm I'm sure it has not been done before at least on a tc2. I would imagine you would need a large amount of custom fabricated parts to make that Turbo work. And when it is all said and done, the only part you may end up being able to use could just be the turbine itself.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O_o smh....
Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhhh okay. i was considering doing a build and attacking this head on. the boys said that we would have to a exhaust back but that we should be able to attach it without major problem? i dont know for sure they said its possible and i quote nothing is difficult lol so ill see soon
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the specs on it? You could slap many turbos on there but will they work properly for the engine and were you want the power? Thats what you wanna look for. I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16g but i would say those are best for 200-230whp. Nothing wrong with putting a custom kit together but know what your doing even if a shop is installing it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Whats the specs on it? You could slap many turbos on there but will they work properly for the engine and were you want the power? Thats what you wanna look for. I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16g but i would say those are best for 200-230whp. Nothing wrong with putting a custom kit together but know what your doing even if a shop is installing it.
isnt the 16g a mitso turbo mainly? and the power will hopefully be mid range pushing no more than 6lbs of boost.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

16g or bigger....u dont want to choke your motor down with a tiny turbo. as for it being a mitsu turbo it doesnt matter aslong as the turbo manifold u make has a mitsu flange on it. u should read WAY MORE way way way more about forced induction before buying ANYTHING.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude. you are not ready for a adding a turbo kit to your car. you need to do your homework. seriously.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
dude. you are not ready for a adding a turbo kit to your car. you need to do your homework. seriously.
I do and one of the first parts to doing homework is research and I thought I'd ask people who also use the same car! So thanks for your key input. I'm aware obviously of the common turbo appliactions for this car and was wondering if other toyota turbos such as the one I suggested wud be usefull and possible to attach.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything can be done if you have the $$$ and the know-how. In my experience, turbo-on-a-budget isn't easy and can easily go wrong. Just make sure it's done right and doesn't end up costing as much as a kit from PTuning or Descendant, defeating the purpose of saving money.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read Zero's very informative build thread, boosting this car is not cheap or easy even WITH a "bolt on" turbo kit.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yardleyTC
I do and one of the first parts to doing homework is research and I thought I'd ask people who also use the same car! So thanks for your key input. I'm aware obviously of the common turbo appliactions for this car and was wondering if other toyota turbos such as the one I suggested wud be usefull and possible to attach.
yeah, but when you say "I don't want to use a mitsubishi turbo because it is a toyota, like it will make all the difference is absolutely hysterical, and ignorant. even the TRD supercharger isn't made by TRD. Honda doesn't sell any turbo models in the US, but people still put turbos on them, and those turbos aren't made by honda. even Subaru doesn't make its own turbos, they IHI I believe.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find people respond better when given Constructive Criticism

OP asks about how advisable or inadvisable it is to use this other turbo. So much "You're doing it wrong"
what about ... "Try this.. or have you thought of this?"
Its unnerving to see ridicule when the guy is obviously trying to learn and accomplish.
We all started out not knowing $#!t.. Let's not do the you need to be This Tall--> to ride routine.
Only requirement is knowledge.. Which he'd have more of if people weren't just stating the obvious that he needs to read more. I mean isn't that what this forum is for? Answers?

Good luck on your budget setup dude..
I myself have very limited knowledge on turbo setups... but if the R&D hasn't been done on something your going for.. I'd suggest you look deep into the areas that could be a conflict with the car..

Like Boost Creep... which may require you to bore out the waste gate or do a bypass system. I'd imagine this to be a problem if the engine in the TC2 is larger than the MR2 as it may put out more exhaust than the turbo was designed to receive.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
I find people respond better when given Constructive Criticism

OP asks about how advisable or inadvisable it is to use this other turbo. So much "You're doing it wrong"
what about ... "Try this.. or have you thought of this?"
Its unnerving to see ridicule when the guy is obviously trying to learn and accomplish.
We all started out not knowing $#!t.. Let's not do the you need to be This Tall--> to ride routine.
Only requirement is knowledge.. Which he'd have more of if people weren't just stating the obvious that he needs to read more. I mean isn't that what this forum is for? Answers?

Good luck on your budget setup dude..
I myself have very limited knowledge on turbo setups... but if the R&D hasn't been done on something your going for.. I'd suggest you look deep into the areas that could be a conflict with the car..

Like Boost Creep... which may require you to bore out the waste gate or do a bypass system. I'd imagine this to be a problem if the engine in the TC2 is larger than the MR2 as it may put out more exhaust than the turbo was designed to receive.

Thank you for that! and the plan is now to get a buget manifold of ebay and redo the welds and ensure that they will last. i will include a piggy back system and custom exhaust front to bacck. I have been told today i should not cost more than 1500.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
yeah, but when you say "I don't want to use a mitsubishi turbo because it is a toyota, like it will make all the difference is absolutely hysterical, and ignorant. even the TRD supercharger isn't made by TRD. Honda doesn't sell any turbo models in the US, but people still put turbos on them, and those turbos aren't made by honda. even Subaru doesn't make its own turbos, they IHI I believe.
i never said i didnt want to use that? i asked if we were on the same page... the 16g is mainly a mitsu turbo... and i double checked.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Turbo discussions belong in the forced induction section... moved.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 for the OP! hopefully everything works out for you on boosting your ride. keep updates about the build because im interested as to how this will all pan out

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo