Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

guage placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question guage placement

ok guys so a lil help needed, im adding more monitoring gauges, currently i have my boost controler under my mirror buttons, my boost gauge to the left of the steering wheel and its a biotch to see and my wide band in the glove compartment, i am about to purchase a oil pressure, oil temp, and fuel pressure gauge but i have no clue where i can put them, i wanted to do on the pillar but cuz the airbag it wont work unless someone knows away around it... also the other thing i looked into was loosin the stock head unit and gettin a single din and putting 3 of the guages there but i dont know how itll work, so any help where to put them would greatly be appreciated... and i am not putting them on the top of my dash cuz thats tacky...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're getting gauges just for show and don't care about losing some of the functionality of the car (glove box, center console) or buying a whole new head unit to try to fit 3 gauges in a single din molding, I'd say do the single din. I seem to recall someone putting them in the HVAC controls and moving the controls to the center console.

If you're actually going to pay attention to those monitors, I'd say put them in a place where you won't have to turn your head to look. The dash is appropriate for that.

Function > Form. I may be tacky, as you call it, but the gauges on my dash are in clear view and I don't have to look somewhere odd to see my AFR/Boost/OilPressure/temp gauges. Especially if you're running boosted, those things are pretty important to keep an eye on.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I took apart my dash a lil while ago and the guages and a single din wont fit as well as ide like, it would require some fabbing, and I do need to monitor my guages and I just dont want them to look tacky or rice... Can u post pix of urs?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In his build thread about halfway down this page, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=203162&page=7
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics are in my garage profile and in my build thread. It looks fine to me, but I think most don't like the dash mounted gauges.

I didn't want to mess with all the airbags in the car. I was trying to make a new dash piece for the head unit, with a triple gauge pod to the right of the stereo with the gauges mounted vertically. However, it got in the way of opening the glove box.

My car is a daily driver. I own no other cars, so, I want all the stock functionality, like storage compartments, and electronics to work properly.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya im not a big fan of where theyre at but they work thats for sure... probly gonna be similiar to what im gonna do, and ya i was gonna do the side of the radio as well but mine to is a daily drive.. and i really dont wanna mess with the hvac... on a side note how u like the greddy exhaust? i saw the link on ur youtube and it sounds sweet, is it a cat back? and i thought i saw its 2.75in?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone help with the wiring of the gauges to at least get mine turned on? I don't have the turbo yet but i'd at least like to know where the wires connect to, to be sure my gauges actually work. Any help with that?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of gauges? And what company cuz some companies like prosport have very easy set ups like the oil pressure and temp replaces ur oil drain plug and the boost runs off a vaccume, ur wideband u have to tap into ur s pipe
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aem wideband and boost. Just need to know how to connect the wiring portion. When I get turbo installed, I'll tap the s pipe and vaccum connections. I just want power to the gauges at this point.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didnt install the wires on mine, bot that good with electrical my buddy is alot better, but for the boost we ran it to the the power for the clock, and I dont know how for the wideband, descendant put it in
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally got power to mine. Took me a while but i figured it out.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208075
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice! Great job!!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 AM
SL Member

cigarrete lighter ... i usually have 3 gauges in the ciarrete lighter is a perfect place