Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

BackUp Camera Install tC2 Alpine HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry for the delay in getting responses back. This has become a weekend spare time project. Just the backup harness would probably be between 8$ and 10$. The video harness would be about $15. I will have more firm costs when I get everything put together and tally all of the totals. Right now I am more concerned with finishing a set of test harnesses to confirm that they work before I start making some to sell to others. So far I have made all of the wire pieces and have completed a backup camera harness to test (possibly doing that tomorrow). I am waiting on the video input plastic connector so I can assemble the test harness and confirm that it works as well. Feel free to PM me with questions.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-09-2020 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SUCCESS! The backup camera harness AND the video input harness went off without a hitch. I know have a supplier for the pins and can order the connectors straight from Toyota.
Takes me about a week to put both together (doing it in my spare time) once I get all of the parts. PM me if interested!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an OOOOOLD thread but I am very interested in buying the video in/camera cables, I don't suppose by an miracle, you still make them genmoore? Or anyone else?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-09-2020 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 AM

So i pretty much followed these very detailed instructions.

My build.. Every thing from Amazon

Pioneer AVH-290BT Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display and Built-in Bluetooth
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (worked perfectly)
MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers
Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Wire Harness with RCA for 2003-Up Select Toyota/Scion/Lexus Vehicles ( worked perfectly..)
Hometheatre 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Female Splitter Cable (6-Inch) as the HU only has 3,5 mm input ( I am able to keep the stock Audio in line)
I have routed the USB cable and popped it up close to gear shift so at least i can connect and charge USB devices.

Fits Scion tC 2005-2010 Double DIN Aftermarket Harness Radio Install Dash Kit I did not cut these brackets as per the instructions.. ( spend time here.. )

TOPTIERPRO HD Car Rear View Camera License Plate Mount -TTP-C13B- Best Backup Camera For Truck/Cars - Night Vision/Waterproof Reverse Camera - Easy To Install

All soldered together in a nice neat look, Foam around the steering wheel unit.. all worked 1st go.

Where I came UNSTUCK.

Could not get panels off without leaving the little white, sometimes blue plugs in car - bad design.. really hard to remove from car..

Panel around rear speaker is a _____.. Avoid talking this off if possible.

Could NOT feed the RCA lead thru Rubber at Hatch to Car join, Simply ran the wire outside _ i live in California.. It never rains.

COULD NOT FIND THE REVERSE WIRE.. Basically i must have taken EVERY panel off that was accessable, including the entire center console (upside was that I could run the USB wire close to the shift lever)

the frustrating part was the time.. I did this by myself.. every time I wanted to check a wire I had to start the car, pull on handbrake shift to reverse perhaps more than 30 times. Took me hours.. Could NOT find the solution on Internet..!

I could not find it in the engine bay, nor the fuse area not the driver side distribution, nor the passengers side distribution.. - Kick panels) Looking at the fuse box was a waste of time.. Cannot get to those fuses!.. (Finally I gave gave up after my multimeter broke.

Considered to wire back to reverse lamp, but remembered how hard it was to feed a wire past the rear speaker..

Then i had an idea.. what if i could trace the reverse wire from the color coded wire at the lamp.. rather than using a . multimeter..

So after a few attempts.. FINALLY FOUND the wire by drivers seat in the large loom running from front to rear.

better than scrambling under the dash.. better than running a wire all the way back to the lamp..

So.. In a 2011 Scion tC (mine) the reverse lamp wire is RED with a SINGLE grey stripe. All the other RED wires with grey stripes are either dual Stripes OR thinner than the wire that make sit to the lamp.

powered the camera with this wire and grounded the camera at the hatch.
CUT both the blue and white wires on the camera loom ( It gave the the grid and and rotated the image, but then i simply mounted the camera upside down

next challenge.. is working out which format of video the player will play of USB
tried MP4 MOV and AVI so far..Nothing..

Doesn't seem to like displaying images in folders, I will try placing them in the root folder.

Cannot get video on iPhone to play in either BT or USB mode.. Sound is fine.. but no video. ( not sure if this low end head unit can do this..)

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-09-2020 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 AM

Will definitely be doing something like this soon. Very good wire running ideas.
Already have the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and was going to be spending some time on figuring out the best wire running as to get around my amp power cable, LED wires, accessory, RCA, lol! Much to stuff in those rails!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Great Write-up, CREEPUR!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW I installed my Camera Source backup cam in a similar method when I got it a few years ago (via popping out the yellow clip), but with my sub that finisher piece rattled a lot when the bass would hit. Ended up drilling a hole in the trunk area to use for the video cable to come thru and replacing that clip. No more rattling.