Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Replacing door speakers

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default Replacing door speakers

Has anyone replaced any of the speakers in the doors? If so, how did you get the 6X9 to fit back in? I took my door panel off and seen it was riveted in so I would have to drill the rivets out but factory speaker is permanently mounted in a plastic enclosure, thus meaning new speakers won't fit in the hole in the door. I have came up with a few ideas but wanted to see what someone else has done. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member

I was also wondering about replacing the door speakers- I was worried that there were crossovers that would make the replacements not get a full signal. Can anyone confirm that they are just a direct switch out?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You literally have to cut out the 6x9 woofer and use the factory bracket to house the speaker, or make your own spacers and adapters, however you won't get full range using the factory wiring for the 6x9 woofer as its amplified with an internal crossover
Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member

So the highs will be filtered out? That's too bad. Anyone know if it would be a direct switch out for the mid door speaker and/or tweeter ?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

start at page 15
http://www.oemaudioplus.com/images/I...F-20110726.pdf
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to put in a 3 way component set up in the front doors. I have a few questions and I'm hoping to get help.

1. The tweeter. I believe its a one inch. I was looking at the pdf in the link above and it shows that they pressure fitted the aftermarket tweeter into the location of the stock tweeter. Has any done it this way successfully or is there another way.

2. The middle speaker. It says that its a 4 inch speaker (some say 3.5). Is there any brackets/adapters needed or will an aftermarket speaker bolt right into the same location?

3. The lower 6x9 speaker. This speaker is powered by stock amp under the drivers seat. I want to eliminate using that amp which I believe I know how to bypass. I know that it's held in place by rivets which you would have to drill out. I want to replace them with a 6.5 inch sub. I know there is a 6x9 to 6.5 bracket. Do you have to re-rivet them to hold it in place or is there another mounting method. Also I've read some have put an 8 inch sub in that location. How much work is involved in that.

Any help is much appreciated
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You usually have to creat your own new mounting bracket out of mdf and then if you want that to sound right you have to make an appropriate enclosure out of fiber glass or forming a pocket out of foam and dynamat. There are many different ways I did have an 8 but there are sealing issues and sound issues because the speaker holes are drilled in the shape of a 6x9 even though on the outside of the door it looks like a 8 or 6.5. I ended up popping out the cover for the tweeter and replaced with the component tweeter I have and it looks mostly factory... minus the titaniun tweeter dome that's visible through the grill.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member

I actually just started making my own yesterday. I got particleboard and got them cut down so they fit pretty well and then I began fiberglassing them. I have never messed with fiberglass before so that is why I decided to do it that way. Plus, I figured if the particleboard would draw damp it would fall apart. I jut have to sand them down now and paint them. I also found some of the enclosures like the ones that the factory speaker was mounted to. They are on ebay for roughly $12 but I would rather just make my own.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biskit2086
I actually just started making my own yesterday. I got particleboard and got them cut down so they fit pretty well and then I began fiberglassing them. I have never messed with fiberglass before so that is why I decided to do it that way. Plus, I figured if the particleboard would draw damp it would fall apart. I jut have to sand them down now and paint them. I also found some of the enclosures like the ones that the factory speaker was mounted to. They are on ebay for roughly $12 but I would rather just make my own.
I'm looking for those adapters. I don't like to use wood ones as they get damp with the rain.

Is it these? I'm about to order them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-KITS-BK...31e692&vxp=mtr
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 PM
SL Member

Sorry to restart this thread, but I have a few questions about the door speakers. I am running an LC7i in my setup and a monoblock amp for my sub and then a 4 channel amp for the bottom door speakers and the rear speakers. I currently have the LC7i tapped into both the rear speakers because they are full range and that is what I want going into all my new door speakers. But I do not have a built in crossover in my monoblock amp for my sub and it is not playing the correct frequencies. I want to instead hook the monoblock up through the front bottom door speaker if it already has a built in crossover so then my monoblock will only receive low freq. In conclusion, I want to know if that bottom door speaker really does have a built in crossover so it only plays low freq. I just talked to people at Crutchfield and they said it plays full range but since its a woofer you can only really hear the low freq. Car is a 2016 tC, don't know if that makes a difference or not. I know my factory amp is bolted instead of riveted like someone said in this thread. THANKS!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-12-2019 at 10:35 PM.