2011-____ [ANT20]

Agent 99 (Retirement)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dual LED Reverse Light Review

So I mentioned I'd do some reviews of the mods I've done. It's a good way for me to keep track of what I did and maybe pass along some insight to someone. Anyway, thought I'd start with my first mod, the dual reverse lights.

Pros: Two lights look MUCH better than one, especially since I haven't had a single person tell me "one of your reverse lights is out." It's a super easy mod with many different ways to get to your end product. The actual work took me less than 30 min. The LEDs look great and mine came with a control box letting me set them to flash if I want.

Cons: I've tried 2 different types of LEDs and neither provides the light behind my car the single traditional bulb did.

Review: The first night I pulled (I back into my garage) my shiny, new '11 Scion tC into the garage, I'm greeted by my niece with a comment to the effect of, "OMG, you got a new car! I LOVE it!!! But you already have a light out..." A brief trip to the dealer the next morning led me to discover I really didn't have a light out. Well, it was then I knew I had to start modding the car. I spent some time deciding if I wanted to just install another socket or convert to LEDs. I found some LEDs with rubber sleeves and decided it'd be the easiest. The install was straight forward and I got to be the first one to do the modification.

While I'm still searching for that perfect LED setup, my car now looks clean when I reverse and show ready when I flip the switch. I would recommend anyone who buys the new tC install a second reverse light.

Last edited by MightyP; 02-20-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: corrected a spelling error
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

of all the mods, i hate the idea to have to mod a car just so it looks stock.

i dont know how i'll feel if the 2012s and later models will have them as a "refresh" and the 2011 would just feel like an unfinished product.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they have the dual reverse lights for '12+ models, I'll be buying a new tail light housing
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had my 10K mile service today. While I was there, I asked the dealer to look at a groaning (kinda) noise when I turned the steering wheel. The response was "upper strut tops reinstalled incorrectly causing strut bearings to make noise when turning steering wheel...estimate $421.00 plus tax" That sounds suspiciously like a quote to reinstall the springs. I pulled the springs out and checked everything. Both ends of the springs were snugly seated. Only thing I could figure out to change was the support sub assembly. Blue dots were toward the passenger side rather than the rear, so I pulled everything apart and changed them.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

And, oh by the way, I sheered a lug bolt when I was putting the wheels back on my car.

Last edited by MightyP; 07-01-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Updated link
Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had 3 items come in this week for relatively easy mods.

- License plate adapter
- Weighted Ship know
- Medal shift cable bushings from TWM
Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got a front license plate mount kit this week. Moving from Florida to Texas, I'm going to have to get a front plate, so I wanted to test out some options before having to permanently attach a plate. I spent $36 and picked up a set from Cliff, who sells some stuff on here. If you decide you want to check out his product, here's the link to the thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/show...96#post3613196

Pros: Biggest advantage is these are pretty much universal and attach just about anywhere on your grille. They're easy to install and provide a clean look.

Cons: Only real complaint is that I had to remove a dozen screws from the air dam underneath the car to get to the back side of the grille so I could affix the rear washer and nut.

Review: Cliff (bbszero) sells aluminum front plate holders for $36, including shipping. He hadn't sold any to tC2 owners, so after providing him some measurements, he sent me the size to best fit the new tC. He was very responsive and had the parts shipped within a day. The brackets themselves are sturdy, well built and brilliant in their simplicity. The mounts have a bolt in the rear that goes through the grille and attaches to a large washer, lock washer and nut.

The installation options are nearly limitless. It took about 5 min to remove the air dam under the car, about a min to install the brackets and probably 40 min adjusting them around to exactly where I wanted them. Up one row, over a little, attach to the top of the plate, attach to the bottom. I felt like my wife when she can't decide what to wear to an event. Even now, I'm not sure I'm going to leave my plate where it's at.

Anyway, I love the PTuning tow-hook mount, but with the additional mounting options and costing 1/2 the price, I'm glad I went this route.

Name:  LicensePlate.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  73.4 KB
Name:  2011-02-26_14-37-25_609.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  2011-02-26_14-37-37_332.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  82.5 KB

Last edited by MightyP; 03-01-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Updated links
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shifter Cable Bushings from TWM also arrived this week.

Pros: Reduced shift lever play while in gear. Cleaner shifts. Improved overall feel.

Cons: While I'm sure there are some, I can't think of any right now.

Review: Bottom line, dollar for dollar, these are the best upgrade I've purchased for the tC. For under $30, these greatly increase the shift feel on the tC. What was soft, now is crisp. What had a lot of play, now has very little.

The install is only slightly more challenging than replacing your air filter. Took me about 30 min, but most of that was showing my daughter how to do it.

The first thing I noticed after installing the bushings was how much more mechanical and clean shifting felt. Rather than a soft, almost numb feel when you go into gear, you are connected to the transmission. Like chambering a round in a finely crafted rifle, the movements are sharp and deliberate.

The rubber bushings left vague gear positions, allowing sloppy shifting. These require the driver to be precise. I sometimes go straight from 3rd to 6th (after racing to 65 mph, I have no more accelerating to do) and the first couple times, being used to the old shift feeling, I actually missed 6th gear. Now, going in order, whether up or down, I have had no issues getting in gear.

This is a great upgrade and would be worth it at twice the price.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice par, man im getting itchy on the whole lisence plate that relocated to the grill
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by errol
Nice par, man im getting itchy on the whole lisence plate that relocated to the grill
What's your plan to fill in the current holes?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh my guess would be nylon plugs
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weighted Shift ****

TWM sent me the weighted shift **** I ordered with the short shifter and cable bushings. It's arrival and subsequent installation managed to be the most exciting and most frustrating part of the day. The **** itself is beautiful in the gun metal gray. It's solid and classy. Holding it with the stock **** it reminds me of the difference between the cheap Happy Meal toys and the old, solid steel, Tonka Trucks.

It was to my dismay to realize the **** (which I later found out from TWM) was designed specifically to fit on the short shifter and doesn't work with the stock Reverse Lock.

A dollar for some rubber spacers and a scrounged lock washer and I was able to make it work, but it required raising the overall height of the shifter about 3/4 inch, thus increasing the throw. The extra weight made the shifts feel great, but I couldn't take the extra travel, so I went back to my OEM "Happy Meal Toy" ****.

[sigh] Shiny, new toy and I'm not playing with it. Here are some pictures I took of the **** before I took it off.

Last edited by MightyP; 03-01-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Updated links
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice choice in colour! That will match the shifter really well when it finally does ship!

Liking the plate bracket too. Its funny how many different options people are using to mount their front plate!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey MightyP that shiftknob looks really good! Do you mind taking a more zoomed out picture including the dash/steering wheel with the shift ****? I'm really debating between Satin and Gun Metal and I'm not too sure which one to go with.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As requested... Too bad the way I have it installed for the pictures isn't functional.

Name:  WeightedShiftKnob3.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  WeightedShiftKnob2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  WeightedShiftKnob1.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  WeightedShiftKnob4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  62.1 KB

Last edited by MightyP; 07-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks a ton mightyP! I think I'm gonna opt for the gun metal instead of the satin. I originally didn't think it would fit in well with the scion interior so I was gonna go for the plain satin finish, but gun metal looks pretty good
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Few more pictures of a dirty car...

Name:  2011-03-01Marina1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  176.8 KB
Name:  2011-03-01Marina3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  139.1 KB
Name:  2011-03-01Marina2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  142.8 KB

Last edited by MightyP; 07-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey mightlyp could you also take some back shots in those gorgeous locations? all the metallic greys i see online always have the spoiler
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what I have from today. I don't post them (and usually delete them) because I just can't seem to make shots from the rear look right. I'm open to suggestions on any of my pictures, but especially on rear shots.

Name:  2011-03-11Beach3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  158.4 KB
Name:  2011-03-01_13-14-19_205.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  125.2 KB

Last edited by MightyP; 07-01-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since you received your twm order in two separate batches, did twm charge you extra since they had to ship it in two separate orders?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. Same price as if it was all one shipment. That said, won't do you much good to have them ship the shift **** early. Version they're selling with the shirt shifter only works with the short shifter. So right now I have a very nice, gun metal gray paper weight. But the cable bushings can go in right away and are great.

Hey, just noticed you responded to the shift **** pics. Glad you like it and, yes, gun metal goes great with the interior

Quick Reply: Agent 99 (Retirement)