2011-____ [ANT20]

Dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In a drag race, the 1st gen was not a competitor at all. Its over half a second quicker to 60 and a quarter to a half second quicker in 1/4 mile (some numbers show even better than that). He tied you cause he couldnt drive, at least not as well as you did. Chalk that up to your driving over his, not the car. Unless the mods a heavily lopsided towards the tC and the drivers as well, a new si will beat you every time. And like I said, the new tC runs about the same times as the 1st gen, so no real improvement there so the story would be the same.

Now, as far as fun to drive on the daily drive, the si loses in my (and many testers) opinions due to it feeling sluggish as a dog in the lower rpms... honda's typical tq curve. But when you get it way up in the band where it produces good power, it is a different story.

And in my previous post, dont even think of the comparison on an autox course between a tc and an old si hatch (89,90 ish or so). Those will kill a tC on course.. along with a majority of very high end sports cars as well. Just hard to compete with such a light, go kart like vehicle in todays pig heavy cars.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awe... That's no fun. I was hoping I could give those Si clowns a run for their money. I use to enjoy making them and 350z owners look like tards... Oh well, just more of a reason to go turbo sooner!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw, thanks for answering my questions guys. I have been on many forums and this one is truly the best and most relaxed... Though I will admit that on my GTI forum we had a thread devoted to talking crap about tCs... Though we respect the boosted TC.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Seeing as how it weighs more than the 1st gen, thus runs pretty close to it in times... no, it is not a competitor to the si. Not mod for mod at least. Handling wise you could make it a closer competition on the new, heavy si's. I have yet to have a new si come close to me on an autox course. However, that doesnt mean that the drivers were experienced enough to call it even either. My guess would be with equal drivers on an autox course, the new si "should" be close to or even slightly better than a tC in theory.

And loss on a newer, fwd, manual tranny car should be about 12-15%. That aligns with most stock dynos I have ever seen on fwd cars and the info that is out there. 20% would be closer to a rwd loss. So you should be putting down 160ish to the wheels, which you are, which supports the 180bhp claim from the factory.

nice to hear an educated response on the power of the tc2, i laugh when i hear toyota underrated it, lol
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rangerryda
TcPete did 200 whp on his 1st gen with a build...
That's exactly what I was going to say... pull up TcPete's build thread on N/A. he put in a lot of time, effort, and $$$ to hit the 200WHP mark staying N/A
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by durp
Awe... That's no fun. I was hoping I could give those Si clowns a run for their money. I use to enjoy making them and 350z owners look like tards... Oh well, just more of a reason to go turbo sooner!
Yes durp go boost again! lol. O and who cares if it's a slow process just get it done. Don't forget to post pics. Ya unforntunally a n/a vs a si. The si wins most of the time. . There is always the result of dirty driving on the street if you really want to win lol jk jk
Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha yeah, boost is like crack to me... I just can't get enough of it!

Last edited by durp; 11-08-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^just FYI, people dont take too kindly to street racing around here, so id just edit that post to avoid any arguments.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@chicotunner07^ thanks bro
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
^just FYI, people dont take too kindly to street racing around here, so id just edit that post to avoid any arguments.
ahhhhhhh poooooo!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

and all of that means little since some kid on the street could have been driving like crap, driving an auto, etc. Fact is that most all tests I have seen show the 2011 tC running a 7.2-7.3 sec 0-60 and a 15.5-15.6 1/4. The previous gen tested usually came out at 7.3-7.4 sec 0-60 and 15.6-15.7 1/4 mile, so the two should be close to even if driven equally. At least stock vs stock.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any word on sway bars and strut braces for the 2g TC? I absolutely hate the suspension on this thing.... And the flywheel is so freaken heavy... Does trd make any good flywheels?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD doesn't make anything. They just re-badge other manufacturers products lol.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, really? So would that mean it's good quality? Or is it like cheap stuff?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 AM
SL Member

It's diffently over priced for me! 300 for a short shift is alot
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all name brand stuff but carries a higher price tag because it's sold through the stealerships.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt buy TRD cause you can always get better stuff cheaper. Alot of people go with it for warranty reasons but as long as you dont use crap parts you should be fine. The only reason i have a TRD quickshifter on my tC1 is cause I won it or else i would have a doc iso one and i had the tRD rear sway cause i got it for 115. They rebadged progress coilovers on the tC1 and the intake was actually and AEM one. The sway bar was probably a progress one but i think was a different mm and the progress one came with endlinks if i remember correctly!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ and the Borla axleback and Quaife LSD, and Vortech supercharger etc etc etc
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You wont buy a better LSD for the tC than the TRD. That is because Quaife made one that was later bought and rebadged TRD.

The TRD rear sway is a great part and more than enough for a daily driver. The progress unit is very close to it in design, only with one more setting on it.

The TRD springs are probably the best balance between performance and daily drive comfort. They are Eibach springs. All of the tein springs (aside from their coilovers) are horribly designed, aka way too low for the suspension geometry and way too soft for the drop. Most of that is driven by a tuner community who doesnt understand suspension geometry at all (roll couples, camber curves, etc) and just want a slammed ride with mushy suspension so as not to make it too harsh. Horrible for handling but what most kids want, so that is what the aftermarket makes. The TRD springs, while not a huge drop, are designed pretty well believe it or not. On the first gen they could have been about .2 inches lower and stiffer to be a better setup, but they wanted to keep some ride comfort as well.

Buy any TRD items from TRD Sparks (or Dezod if they carry it.. but not sure if they do) and you will get much better pricing than the dealer.

For coilovers, Tein, while not the top choice out there as far as true, serious performance goes (try upwards of $5000 + for what serious guys consider good on suspension) are one of the better bets. Their dampers are pretty well matched to the springs and the spring rates are where they should be for a correct drop. Japanese springs and struts tend to be inconsistent in design for the most part, but for the price the Tein coilovers do pretty well. For out of the box coilovers they are a great choice on this car.

Dezod is also a great vendor to go through for anything they sell.

For a short shifter, see if DoctorIsotope comes out with one for the 2nd gen. I would recommend his hands down over any other one on the market. His prices are usually much better and he uses stock shifters to start with, not junky copies that can bend or break. And you know the pivot ball will always fit since it is a stock one to start. He can also make just about any reasonable drop and shift reduction you ask for, so you have some choice in the design.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, that was very informative. I get a discount from the dealer on parts, I know someone who's family owns a dealership. But I have heard nothing but good things about these doc shifters... I'm anxious to when he may come out with a tc2 shifter for sure.

Quick Reply: Dyno!