Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Goodbye Scion..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Goodbye Scion..

Its been officially dropped from Toyota.

Toyota is scrapping its youth-oriented Scion brand - LA Times

Google it.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-19-2021 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just read that a couple hours ago. Can't say it comes as a surprise with all of the idiotic models like the iM and iQ that nobody wants being released in the last couple years. My biggest gripe is that they're dumping the tC when they could simply rebadge
it as a Corolla Coupe and market it as a separate model from the Corolla (like Hyundai with the Genesis/Genesis coupe or Kia with the Forte/Forte Koupe). The body styling is similar enough that it could pass as a sportier version of the 'rolla.

The fr-s never should have been badged as a Scion to begin with. It deviated completely from their original business model of "affordable, customizable vehicles marketed toward a younger crowd." It should have just been a Toyota like it is everywhere else in the world.

All that being said, my biggest _____ about Scion being scrapped/rolled into Toyota is that Toyota has trim levels on their cars, whereas Scion didn't. This means that if I want one feature available on my car,
I have to pay for a bunch of extra crap I might not particularly want in order to get the one thing I do. It was a big selling point to me and ultimately tipped the scales for me to buy a Scion over a Honda, Kia, Chevrolet, or Toyota.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-19-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC is stale. The iM/iA are OK, while the FR-S is the only car Scion (co)makes that is salvageable.

Scion has made too many errors - dumping the original xB (I hated the xB, but it was bread and butter for Scion), the xD, xA, and iQ. Waiting so long for the FR-S. Keeping it 25hp away from were it should be, stock. Not offering a FR-S/BR-Z race program.

They desperately needed a non-quirky wierdo-people sedan or small CUV, and they ditched the enthusiast business model around 2011. They could of done something with the AWD Matrix variant. Scion *should* of distributed the Yaris and restyled it a little, instead of Toyota. These "new" cars they are making now, are things they could of done 7+ years ago.

Scion used to put on concerts, drag racing events, amusement park days, BBQ's, dealership events, release parties, vacations, and other events. I got so much free swag from Scion, shirts, hats, luggage, blankets, CD's, tents, backpacks, phone accessories, parts, and promos from other companies working with Scion. I talked friends into getting tC's after they rode in mine. I probably sold 3 cars FOR Scion from demo'ing my car out.

I met so many people, different enthusiasts whom I got to spend fun time with, dealership people, SL sponsored companies, online friends, and lots of ladies that owned Scions - that it was an amazing ride. And in 2011-2012ish - I got rid of my boosted Scion. The Scion scene had moved on to other stuff. The "big" builds died. The racing died. The "new" owners were now picking up 3rd hand Scions.... The real "pioneers" had moved on to branched out to different car makers (some stuck with Scion). Rado works with high end Euro cars now.

People that are coming into Scion ownership in the last 5 years, don't know what you missed. The FR-S is a great car, but one car can't save a extension of a brand.

To the poster above, Scion did offer different spec'd vehicles at different times. They were the RS series, the Spec models, the 10.Series, the Monograms. Mostly, these were limited to avoid over-saturation. Which is one of the better things Scion did. Some of the RS models where ghastly though, or would of looked SO much better in a different hue than what you were stuck with.

Anyways - it *was* fun when it was happening. I wouldn't of traded any of that for any other car. Thanks for the memories Scion!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no idea why I got sensored. I said g r i p e. In what language is a synonym for complaint that doesn't rhyme with "itch" offensive?

Anyway, I wasn't even financially able to buy a new car until 2014 so I definitely missed out on all the fun, but I still love my tC and am glad to have been a part of Scion, even if it was for an extremely short time.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who knows, maybe all our scions (especially tCs, I think all the other ones look pretty lame) will go up in value in the future. I'm sure no one expected all the cool 70s/80s to have such a strong cult following at the time they stopped making them.

Obviously not anytime soon, but eventually.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jayrdee
Who knows, maybe all our scions (especially tCs, I think all the other ones look pretty lame) will go up in value in the future. I'm sure no one expected all the cool 70s/80s to have such a strong cult following at the time they stopped making them.

Obviously not anytime soon, but eventually.
True, wouldn't be surprised.

One thing I'm looking forward to hopefully more features and options in the FRS. So instead of being tied to a price point, under Toyota badge they can make a base and a loaded model perhaps.

They still make the Toyota Zelas overseas. I hope they reboot the next generation as a true Hot Hatch Competitor like the VW GTI or Focus ST. In the U.S. at least, the hatchback style is still not considered all that mainstream and people prefer coupes/sedans, in which case a tC coupe hatch was a great compromise.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

Oh also If i remember right, the Lexus CT200h is based on a stretched Toyota Zelas platform and in F-Sport trim that car is considered a pretty good driver's car.

I just wish they eventually make more powerful CT.