Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Moonroof making clicking noise. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by tyap; 06-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got a call from the dealer to come pick up the car. I get there and he tells me the tech used anti rattle foam. Also the service adviser claimed that heat causes the front bumper clips to sag. He then goes into further detail and tells me that I hit a curb with the front bumper and bent the bumper brackets down.Lie#1 So I ask where did you test drive the car at? He says on the lot and there is no way the tech caused the scrape on the bumper. I find on my trip meter I sent the car was driven 29 miles. that seems like a lot of driving on a 17 acre facility. Lie number#2. So I get in the car to leave and the pop/tick type noise still exists.Lie#3 So I have an appointment with a Toyota rep tomorrow at the dealership.

I will keep the followers updated.
Also this is taking place at a Toyota/Scion dealership in AZ. Avondale Toyota

Last edited by Chrislbz; 10-06-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by tyap; 06-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

I haven't had a chance to take mine to the dealer for this but I am very interested in how this works out.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by rackatak
I haven't had a chance to take mine to the dealer for this but I am very interested in how this works out.

I've taken my car to the dealership once for this. Unfortunately, my roof only pops/creaks when it has been sitting out in the sun for a while. The ONE day I decided to take it to the dealer, it was cold and cloudy.

They said they added some 'noise isolation' while they were looking at the roof but the pop was there the very next day when the sun was shining.

Scion has to know this is happening to these cars. If they dealerships can't fix it, then it is Scion's responsibility to do something about it.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by tyap; 06-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the car back and the click/pop noise is still there. Dealer kinda threw their hands up and said not much else they can do! Went to scion.com and the live chat and got a number to call corp. Filed a claim with Scion about the noise and the dealer bumper incident.
If we want something done about this we all need to call and file a claim to get the ball rolling on a fix( not turn the radio up fix)

Scion corp number
1-866-707-2466
It doesn't take that long to file a claim
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Druidiron
This link is kind of what I used to fix mine. It is not exactly what I got, but will give you an idea.

http://www.artsupply.com/brand/foamcore.htm

The stuff I got is from walmart, and it is like a tape, sticky on the back. Less than a 1/4 inch thick, and comes in 5 X 7 sheets. I used the black so you couldent see it, and it works like a champ.

any explanations/pics
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Poppin' N Clickin'

My Scion TC is doing the same here too! It starts after 10 minutes of driving day or night, hot or cool weather no difference. It's been to the dealer twice, both times they most likely did not drive it long enough for the clickin' to start.
It's going back in tomorrow ...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car has been at the dealer since Monday. Round 2 for the pop/tick noise
Old 10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member

Get this-- Went in for my 15k service appointment (topping off fluids, check brake pads, etc) but I had mentioned over the phone when I had set my appointment that the sunroof would creak occasionally, and I had the Alpine headunit problem.

4 and a half hours after I dropped my car off the rep comes and gets me and he tells me the servicing went good. They are going to order a new alpine headunit from Toyota tomorrow. But, somehow, I am the first person that has come to them with either of these issues (I bought my '11 TC in February). And as far as the sunroof creaking, he claims the technicians went for a drive, but the noise couldn't be replicated, so they didn't do anything about it, and basically acknowledge that there is no problem with the sunroof. The in/out mileage for my car was the same, which is no biggie. They probably just went around the lot really quickly and really didn't catch the noise. I told the rep that I understood completely and thanked him.

The rep then tells me he was going to leave the service documents at the cashier's desk, and I would just have to sign off to acknowledge the complimentary maintenance was done.

So I get up to the cashier and she asks me if the rep went over everything with me. I tell her "yes, he did". Then she says "okay the total for today will be $102". I then told the cashier "oh, the rep didn't say anything about a charge, I only had the complimentary maintenance done and I had complaints about headunit and creaking sunroof so I wanted the technicians to inspect for defects". She then tells me the $102 charge was specifically for the diagnostic of the creaking sunroof. I then tell her that "So you're charging me $102 for your technician to drive the car around the lot for less than 1 mile, only to come to the conclusion that there is no problem so there was no fix or service performed to my car?" She then tells me to hold on for a few while she talks one of the service reps. She comes back telling me the charge was an error, and that she has no idea why it was on my service document. So they reprinted my service documents, apologized and I drove away. Had they tried to actually make me pay for the $102, the next words out of my mouth would have been "May I please speak with the service manager?" Nice try, you didn't get this sucker today.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tyap
I was able to get rid of the noise..., "temporarily".
I opened the moonroof 1-2 inches, placed a towel in between the moonroof and the body, then closed it.
The noise was gone!!!!!
I removed the towel to see if the noise comes back.
It comes back right away...

Does anyone have a good idea of how I could get rid of this noise permanently?
I don't want anything in there that could stay wet and get mold.
Maybe some kind of rubber would work, but I don't know what's out there.
Bringing back an old thread since I could not find answers with search for TC2 sunroof/moonroof rattles. Found tons on TC1, but is uncertain if the same applies to TC2. Anyone have a fix or success in having dealer correct the issue?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No success yet with the roof noise. On the 17th of this month I have a meeting with the Toyota/Scion interior rep at my local dealer. Also file a claim with Scion Corporate and they will get the ball rolling for you to get some help. The more people call the faster we can get this fixed.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chrislbz
No success yet with the roof noise. On the 17th of this month I have a meeting with the Toyota/Scion interior rep at my local dealer. Also file a claim with Scion Corporate and they will get the ball rolling for you to get some help. The more people call the faster we can get this fixed.
Please let us know how it turns out. The rattles make a rather nice ride annoying. It is such a shame...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Cool

hey you are in luck i just finished instaling a sun roof . on a 2007 scion tc
that clicing noise could be a couple of thing. numer one. hope its your motor goingf out. because that is an easy fix .number 2. if its not your motor . then you are screwed.
you are goin to need the . tracking. that moves, your sun roof. back and forward. oh and i have spare parts any one interested let me no i can get any par you need
Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by larry656
hey you are in luck i just finished instaling a sun roof . on a 2007 scion tc
that clicing noise could be a couple of thing. numer one. hope its your motor goingf out. because that is an easy fix .number 2. if its not your motor . then you are screwed.
you are goin to need the . tracking. that moves, your sun roof. back and forward. oh and i have spare parts any one interested let me no i can get any par you need
Good info but how would it be our sunroof motors? The tick/click noise is happening while we drive NOT operating the sunroof. But who knows? I'm thinking it has something to do with flex. Still searching for answers.

The person who finds the fix for this should get a reward form Scion!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM

I've taken my car into the dealer for this too. They could not replicate the issue. Mine always does it when the glass is hot. If I park in the shade or it is cold outside, it will not tick.

I have been hesitant to take it back to the dealer only to have them tell me I am crazy.

Let us know how things turn out with Scion Corporate. Hopefully they can come up with a fix soon (or at least determine exactly where the tick is coming from).

Quick Reply: Moonroof making clicking noise. Anyone else?