Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Need help buying a TC2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Exclamation Need help buying a TC2!!!

Hey Guys,

I am pretty sure I will be trading in my 2008 Lexus IS250 6 speed for a new TC. The reason being I am tired of paying 600 a month for my Lexus and up keep is not cheap at all. The only problem is with downgrading to a TC I am not sure I will be as happy as I was with my Lexus. Can anyone on here list me the PROS and CONS of the TC? What things made you buy the car and after owning it what things would you like to change about the car.

I plan on using the car as my daily driver I drive 80 miles round trip every day.

- How smooth is the ride?
- I heard the last scion had problem with interior rattle was this been fixed on the 2011?
- I was leaning towards a manual but, my last car (the IS250) had manual but Toyota royally screwed up buy cheeping out and putting the Toyota Tacoma 6 speed tranny is the car. Yes, guys that not a typo they used a damn truck tranny for the car to save money but, the thing was bullet proof.
- Also I have been looking for a dark metallic gray color but, doesn’t seem like Toyota offers it anymore is this true?

So for all the questions guys but, I just want to know as much about the car as possible up front before I test drive and buy this vehicle.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Well i feel you on the downgrading thing, I felt that way too but I didn't wanna pay for 2 cars anymore so I traded them both in. Idk about your lexus but the TC is great on gas, insurance is cheap, the 6-speed is gonna be way different from any other manual car you have driven but its still is nice, I have 1k+ miles on mine now with still no interior rattling noises. And as far as the color thing I'm pretty sure they do. Go to scion.com, build your TC, pick the color. that shows everything they offer. And its a very smooth ride.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superwizzle
Well i feel you on the downgrading thing, I felt that way too but I didn't wanna pay for 2 cars anymore so I traded them both in. Idk about your lexus but the TC is great on gas, insurance is cheap, the 6-speed is gonna be way different from any other manual car you have driven but its still is nice, I have 1k+ miles on mine now with still no interior rattling noises. And as far as the color thing I'm pretty sure they do. Go to scion.com, build your TC, pick the color. that shows everything they offer. And its a very smooth ride.
Thank you for the input. The one problem I am trying to get rid of with my 6 speed is that it has a 56 pound flywheel!!! Which means when revving and shifting it has a very long hang time berfore the revs start to come down this is something my 97 Celica never had problems with. Besides that and the price I love my Lexus just way to high of a payment. Do you mind me asking what two cars you traded in for the scion?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM

yeah I traded a 2005 modded srt-4 and a 2009 Jeep. $9k in negative equity on my loans haha so my loan on the TC is $27k.:?....yeah so i understand downsizing and wanting to not pay as much
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Superwizzle
yeah I traded a 2005 modded srt-4 and a 2009 Jeep. $9k in negative equity on my loans haha so my loan on the TC is $27k.:?....yeah so i understand downsizing and wanting to not pay as much
Wow man sounds like you have it rough 9k in negative equity is never good or fun. I am lucky here and ill actually make 1,000 off of my car I owe 17,000 and there giving me 18,000 for it and that's with a broken grill and front lip half missing. Thank you Lexus and your stupid high re-sale value
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, the tC was a first car for me so I don't know if I can answer any of your comparison questions but I'll try my best to give you a feel for the tC.

From my perspective, the ride is pretty smooth on stock springs and road noise is pretty good for a 20k car. You do start to hear a decent amount of road noise once you start going 70+ on the highway. I usually have to turn the stereo up 5 or so notches on the volume when I go on the highway as opposed to city driving.

There isn't much rattle in the interior except for the plastic pieces by the window controls. If you have the bass turned up on the stereo it'll start rattling. There is a temporary fix which involves putting a piece of paper in there, but no permanent solution has been addressed.

The manual transmission in this car seems to be pretty good except sometimes it refuses to go into first in which case you just release the clutch and try again. There's a thread about it on the forums and apparently it seems to be a common trait in manual transmissions. Although I'm sure the flywheel in the tC is not nearly as heavy as the one in the IS, it has an electronic throttle control so it does hold onto the revs a little bit after you let go of the pedal, but I believe that can be fixed by using the 'Sprint Booster' which increases the sensitivity of your throttle input.

There is the 'magnetic gray' color which I believe may be what you are looking for, but other than that there's just black, silver, cement, crimson red, and nautical blue.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Thank you Donson, that infor is very helpful i am about to go test drive a new TC right now looking at a Silver or that Magnetic gray you speak of.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

- How smooth is the ride?

i dont think it will be as smooth as a lexus

- I heard the last scion had problem with interior rattle was this been fixed on the 2011?

the speakers on door might cause rattle, depending on the bass

- I was leaning towards a manual but, my last car (the IS250) had manual but Toyota royally screwed up buy cheeping out and putting the Toyota Tacoma 6 speed tranny is the car. Yes, guys that not a typo they used a damn truck tranny for the car to save money but, the thing was bullet proof.

if your not in traffic during that 80 miles, manual might be best. i live in an urban area where every mile is a traffic jam so i went auto.

- Also I have been looking for a dark metallic gray color but, doesn’t seem like Toyota offers it anymore is this true?

the first gen scion had flint mica which is actually lighter than the tc2's magnetic gray metallic. its the same dark gray as the camry and alot of other dark grays toyota has. it also has metallic flakes giving the color more depth.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rscot22,

Glad to have you on here. Not to get on your case too much, but there are already a number of threads on here which will answer most of your questions. But here's a brief overview.

My wife had an '08 IS350 she traded in last Fall. Obviously the IS350 was a little different than yours (including being an automatic), but when we test drove them, the main difference we saw between the 250 and 350 was raw power. So on to the comparison.

- Ride will be similar. Suspension on the IS wasn't bad, but I never thought it was to die for either. Since the IS was the sporty Lexus, it's ride wasn't as smooth as other Lexus cars, so you shouldn't notice much difference. tC will float a bit more than the IS as you near triple digit speeds. The IS cornered a little better too, but I think that had more to do with tires than vehicle as it had just as much body roll as the tC.

- There are some rattles, but nothing excessive. As some of the others have said, driverside speakers will eventually cause rattle (about 3K miles as I recall), but there's a fairly easy fix outlined in another thread here.

- Go with the manual. The tC clutch and transmission are surprisingly pleasant for a $20K car. I can't speak to the MT on the IS, but I've driven many different MTs and this one is better than most at this price point.

- Magnetic Gray Metallic is the way to go! It's almost the exact same color as the Charcoal Gray IS.

Couple other things you'll notice different between the IS and the tC:
- tC has a roomier back seat. Wife got rid of her car partially for the payment, but mainly to get a bigger back seat because our daughter would kick the front seats. She can't reach the front seats in the tC.
- tC is much louder than the IS. That was always my favorite part of my wife's car was wide open throttle at highway speeds and all you really heard was something like whirring.
- tC seats are better for long trips, but don't hold you in as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MightyP
rscot22,

Glad to have you on here. Not to get on your case too much, but there are already a number of threads on here which will answer most of your questions. But here's a brief overview.

My wife had an '08 IS350 she traded in last Fall. Obviously the IS350 was a little different than yours (including being an automatic), but when we test drove them, the main difference we saw between the 250 and 350 was raw power. So on to the comparison.

- Ride will be similar. Suspension on the IS wasn't bad, but I never thought it was to die for either. Since the IS was the sporty Lexus, it's ride wasn't as smooth as other Lexus cars, so you shouldn't notice much difference. tC will float a bit more than the IS as you near triple digit speeds. The IS cornered a little better too, but I think that had more to do with tires than vehicle as it had just as much body roll as the tC.

- There are some rattles, but nothing excessive. As some of the others have said, driverside speakers will eventually cause rattle (about 3K miles as I recall), but there's a fairly easy fix outlined in another thread here.

- Go with the manual. The tC clutch and transmission are surprisingly pleasant for a $20K car. I can't speak to the MT on the IS, but I've driven many different MTs and this one is better than most at this price point.

- Magnetic Gray Metallic is the way to go! It's almost the exact same color as the Charcoal Gray IS.

Couple other things you'll notice different between the IS and the tC:
- tC has a roomier back seat. Wife got rid of her car partially for the payment, but mainly to get a bigger back seat because our daughter would kick the front seats. She can't reach the front seats in the tC.
- tC is much louder than the IS. That was always my favorite part of my wife's car was wide open throttle at highway speeds and all you really heard was something like whirring.
- tC seats are better for long trips, but don't hold you in as well.

Hope this helps!
This is exactly what I needed to see!!! Someone who can relate to exactly what I have now and now going to be in. I love my IS but yes the car is very unpractical. 1. the seats do not fold (im a big snowbaorder this caused big big problems for me). 2. the payment 3. transmission was terribble.

The one that thing has always kept me with a Lexus is service. They literally bend over backwards to keep there customers happy.

Thank you for your input sir it is much appreciated.

P.S. my IS250 is that dark gray you speak of and that's why I want to find a scion in that color I loved it. But hate how lexus/Toyota/Scion paint is so fragile and chips so easily.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Very true on the service. Best service I've seen and it really wasn't much more than service at a Ford or Chevy dealer and much less than at BMW.

As for the paint, I got the clear shield option. I'm not a huge fan, but after all the complaints about chipping paint, I'm starting to recommend it. I have 13,500 miles on my tC2 and not a single paint chip.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by MightyP
^ Very true on the service. Best service I've seen and it really wasn't much more than service at a Ford or Chevy dealer and much less than at BMW.

As for the paint, I got the clear shield option. I'm not a huge fan, but after all the complaints about chipping paint, I'm starting to recommend it. I have 13,500 miles on my tC2 and not a single paint chip.
Hey quick question for ya do you know if they make rubber floor mats for the TC? I hate having my carpeted ones ruined.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota doesn't sell them, but I think there are some companies out there that do, though I'm not entirely sure. I'm one of the few who thinks rubber floor mats are for trucks and not cars.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but the carpet mats do wear quickly, I put 3000+ miles on my car so far and there is obvious fading on the carpet where my heel comes in contact with the carpet. 3 faded ovals
Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought some CHEAP rubber mats from target...maybe less than $10 for a 4 piece set

they are really thin and i usually put them over the carpet ones when its raining (or i know my(or my passengers) shoes will get dirty

and when i'm not using them i just throw them in the trunk, under the carpet-on top of the spare tire
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by KidJustin
I bought some CHEAP rubber mats from target...maybe less than $10 for a 4 piece set

they are really thin and i usually put them over the carpet ones when its raining (or i know my(or my passengers) shoes will get dirty

and when i'm not using them i just throw them in the trunk, under the carpet-on top of the spare tire

^^^^^^GOOD STRATEGY^^^
Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Agreed. May be making a run to Wally World today.