Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Repair order from pig for 'illegally modified exhaust'

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
If you're interested in axleback's, you should take a look at the tanabee exhausts. They're not much louder than stock but sound significantly better

What's the difference between the Concept G and the Medallion? From what I heard sound wise the Concept G sounds better but I'm not sure.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just different tones. I personally agree with you, I like the concept g more than the medallion
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve, just sell it and enjoy a peaceful ride.

The sound of CAI alone is priceless and virtually zer0 drone!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the TRD is legal because it's made by Toyota?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tsudo buyer right here
Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Already got dibs
Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Massachusetts it's a constant struggle with the TRD I have on my TC1. I've on multiple occasions had shops either fail me for "modified exhaust" or refuse to inspect me because they would fail me. I've also gotten a "harsh and objectionable noise" ticket, but that's another story. Bottom line is TRD shouldn't be a problem because the car can be purchased new that way. It even has a Toyota part number. Cops just don't get it. Unless you're being obnoxious or expelling toxic gases, they should just get a life.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do agree that if you got the TRD exhaust, then you would be ensured that no cops could give you crap because the car can be purchased new that way
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PMs replied.

Thanks so much everyone for their input, seriously thanks.

Depending on how I feel once the stock exhaust is back on, I think I'll leave it there as I'm beginning to become leery of purchasing an axle-back. I was sort of interested in the Tanabe Concept G, but the MSRP is stupid high. More than any full exhaust system. No way I could justify spending more than 2-300 on a new axle-back that just sounds mildly different from our already aggressive stock exhaust.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got one of these for my exhaust. I went and got it inspected without doing a thing. the MD inspection place said that if it has a cat, a resonator and a muffler, and uses all the original factory hangors, it is legal. I paid like $26 for the inspection, they signed off on the inspection, and I sent it in, no fuss, no muss, and I have a copy in the glovebox if I get pulled over again.

The part that MD tries to get you is that your exhaust can't make the engine louder than it was at the factory, but MD doesn't have records of how loud any car is, so it is virtually uninforcible. also, no exhaust system makes an engine louder, any exhaust system will surpress the engine noise.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is very good information! Maybe I will give a few places a call and see if they are willing to verify any of what you just said over the phone before I take it in and pay for the inspection.

Are there any states that DO keep sound records on file?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's actually really good to know! Thanks for the info drax!!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Banned
SL Member

Don’t ask for anything…Don’t do anything to your car.

Once you get into court, ask the judge to see the police officer’s Toyota Certified Technician certificate. If he does not have one, how does he know my car has been modified? Then ask for the decibel readings he took of your vehicle to establish that it was illegal. And then ask for the calibration certificates of the sound meter used. And then have them present the standard used.

When he can’t produce any/all of them, then just say in court, “Your Honor, I motion to dismiss for lack of evidence.”

If asked if you had modified your vehicle, just state that you are not a Toyota Certified Technician either and trust that Toyota/Scion dealer that does the periodic maintenance to your vehicle have mechanics that are Toyota certified…the car is still under Toyota warranty.

If the judge then tells you to get a sign off from o Toyota dealer… Then say, “I object your Honor…that is an undue burden on me in time and money for a meritless accusation.” They are accusing you of modifying your exhaust. They have to prove that you did.

Never go on the defensive! Never admit to anything. And don’t lie. Your attitude should be, OK, let’s see the evidence. Prove that I did…
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of that makes a good argument for a court trial, but this is not something that can be done in court. Instead of me being innocent until proven guilty, its the opposite. The officer placed the burden of proof on me to prove that it is legal. I have a mandatory repair order, not a court date...its not an option. I have a shop sign the slip and then mail it to the MVA. That's it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
All of that makes a good argument for a court trial, but this is not something that can be done in court. Instead of me being innocent until proven guilty, its the opposite. The officer placed the burden of proof on me to prove that it is legal. I have a mandatory repair order, not a court date...its not an option. I have a shop sign the slip and then mail it to the MVA. That's it.
Being from California, I know that as a "Fix it Ticket"...in California, you've got a due date...if it is not done by that date, all of mine above applies.

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
I got one of these for my exhaust. I went and got it inspected without doing a thing. the MD inspection place said that if it has a cat, a resonator and a muffler, and uses all the original factory hangors, it is legal. I paid like $26 for the inspection, they signed off on the inspection, and I sent it in, no fuss, no muss, and I have a copy in the glovebox if I get pulled over again.

The part that MD tries to get you is that your exhaust can't make the engine louder than it was at the factory, but MD doesn't have records of how loud any car is, so it is virtually uninforcible. also, no exhaust system makes an engine louder, any exhaust system will surpress the engine noise.
Now this is great...can you use this? Are you in MD? If not, swap out your exhaust and put back the OEM exhaust...there are only 2 bolts...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't do it within 30 days then they will suspend your registration. Not worth the drama. I'm going to go the route that draxcaliber went and pay the 30 bucks to get it approved.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

That sounds like the most efficient (time & money invested) solution…That’s what I would do. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermos2003
In Massachusetts it's a constant struggle with the TRD I have on my TC1. I've on multiple occasions had shops either fail me for "modified exhaust" or refuse to inspect me because they would fail me. I've also gotten a "harsh and objectionable noise" ticket, but that's another story. Bottom line is TRD shouldn't be a problem because the car can be purchased new that way. It even has a Toyota part number. Cops just don't get it. Unless you're being obnoxious or expelling toxic gases, they should just get a life.
I have the TRD axleback and Megan midpipe (it's a fair bit louder than the axleback alone) and while one year an inspection station turned me away because it was too loud, I've had no other problems. Passed inspection with this setup twice and no "objectionable noise" tickets even when pulled over for other reasons. Have your car inspected at a scion/toyota dealership, it costs the same and they know what the TRD exhaust is.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come to WI or MI. I tend to, unconsciously, drive a bit aggressive around the coppers with my tsudo... and they don't seem to care.
Lots of redneck trucks with straight-pipes and loud bikes around here though... so maybe they have become accustom to it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This gives me a lot to think about. I live in florida I did not realize that they had laws like this. I wanted to get the descendant exhaust but now this makes me a little nervous. GPD are a bunch of ****** and I could see them giving tickets for this but we do have a rather large tuner group here to so I think I will have to check into this a little more

Quick Reply: Repair order from pig for 'illegally modified exhaust'