Why speeding is good for your life

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Sorry, that's what I was referring to.

I'm not claiming to be a saint here, but I just don't see the justification. Every time someone flies past me on the interstate, they end up slamming on their brakes as "grandpa" hops into the fast lane and putts along.

Then the fast driver gets angry, rides his a$$ until he moves, and flies off. It inevitably happens again, and I usually pull up right next to them as I come to the stoplight at my exit.

IMO, I completely understand the idea of saving time, but you forget to factor in fighting traffic. I generally get there within 30 seconds of the person who was going 80-85 the whole time (if they take the same exit I do, I usually meet them at the traffic light), and I go 70 on the interstate.

Its like Clarkson says "slower IS faster!"

One other thing...you can be the most attentive driver in the world...but when the car to your right (which, you would assume would stay in their lane unless they used their blinker), begins to come into your lane while texting, and there is a car to your left (and one tailing you because they want to speed as well)....well....it doesn't really matter how good of a driver you are.

Please understand, I am simply playing devils advocate in this situation. I have sped many times myself, and will sometimes go 75-80 in a 70. I have just learned many lessons 'the hard way', and realized that my safety isn't only dependent on MY driving skills, but on the skills of everyone else on the road as well.
How true that is... however, the event of someone merging into your lane/car, could/would happen to someone not speeding as they likely spend their time adjacent to other vehicles rather than getting by them.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
How true that is... however, the event of someone merging into your lane/car, could/would happen to someone not speeding as they likely spend their time adjacent to other vehicles rather than getting by them.
Understandable, as I personally try to stay away from cars myself. Just a hypothetical/worst case scenario.

I'm sure no one is going to die/get into an accident specifically from going 80 on the interstate.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Also, I'm confused what kind of qualification you refer to for driving a car at speed? Do you need to have done a certain number of SCCA events, or is it just a conclusion everyone draws for themselves?
No set equation. But a logical conclusion one would have to make themselves based one their experience and ability to judge their traction/handling limits as well as regain control should traction become an issue.

I have never attended an SCCA event. While I want to.. One of my biggest hobbies is driving road course style. I have my practice locations locally..
Silly: Gran Turismo since playstation 1. Yes it is a video game. But the fundamentals and skill taught translate. In GT Academy I Placed 512 nationwide, 177 in the southeast region with a regular PS3 controller. Only reason I didn't battle my way back to the top 128 after being bumped from 116 is because I nearly played my thumb off and it went numb. While this is not a background everyone will have.. or needs to have.
Whats important is to really know how to handle the car at its limits. If a person doesn't know what its like to loose control of a car then its unlikely they know its limits.

All I'm saying with being qualified.. is without being cocky or arrogant take a real look at your skills.

Sure there are people who speed who can't navigate a drive thru... which is why you need foresight to anticipate the unexpected.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Playing video games does not prepare you for extreme situations. Think of games as an academic exercise; when you drive your "road course style practice locations" you don't push your car nearly as hard as you do in the game because if you fail you end up in a wall. So you have very limited experience handling a car at and past the limits and don't know exactly how it(and you) will react. Even go karts teach you how to handle a car(even though they handle completely different) in a safe maner.

If you speed keep your speed close to that of traffic. You end up being the one who pops out of nowhere and it will be 100% your fault if you end up in the bed of an f350 that didn't see you coming.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
Playing video games does not prepare you for extreme situations. Think of games as an academic exercise; when you drive your "road course style practice locations" you don't push your car nearly as hard as you do in the game because if you fail you end up in a wall. So you have very limited experience handling a car at and past the limits and don't know exactly how it(and you) will react. Even go karts teach you how to handle a car(even though they handle completely different) in a safe maner.

If you speed keep your speed close to that of traffic. You end up being the one who pops out of nowhere and it will be 100% your fault if you end up in the bed of an f350 that didn't see you coming.
Nope video games do not prepare for that. But it was a great fundamental start to going to the real street when I was 15. It taught me how to handle the car from a physics standpoint.

As for MY experience and testing the limits.. I don't know how you would assume how much I've pushed my car or the other 7 that I've had. Trust me.. I have more driving experience than work experience. The fact I have not participated in any events boils down to irrelevant circumstances. If you pay my way into an event I'm sure I'd give you a run for your money.

In the video game the car is prep'd or upgraded so yeah I would push it further.
As for my less prepared cars I have found their limits and crossed them (for most of them at least). I know very well how I react to loss of traction in a number of scenarios.

If you read one my earlier posts; I acknowledge the risk of passing other cars as well as the risk for entering traffic. Which I color coded as Yellow risk to speeding (not going above 10mph over).
I never suggested being a moron, approaching an area where traffic could enter, faster than they can see/judge oncoming traffic. You'd really have to be hauling @$$ to rear end someone who you saw coming. Which is key.. understanding how long it would take to stop and not stretching that distance past visibility or a potential obstacle.

As long as you're not doing 20mph over(which becomes provable) and the other driver violates your right of way they are at fault. Unless you hit em square in the back and then its arbitration time.

After all this discussion.. I fear I employ a thought process in everyday driving that may be well more in depth than others'. Perhaps that's the real advantage... Intellectual foresight and a blessing on top.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I say is that if I speed on local roads is the more red lights I get.

If I go the speed limit or slightly over then I usually get all green lights
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For anyone interested in physics...technically speeding will extend your life (a very small amount). The faster you travel the slower time passes for that individual. This is an extremely small amount unless your talking unrealistic speeds (hundreds of thousands of mph).

For example, a person who lives the majority of their life in the penthouse of a skyscraper will age marginally slower than someone at sea level because of the spin of the earth. Much like the tread on a tire moves faster than one of your lugnuts...same rpms but farther distance.

Kind of a geek statement but the effect scales...so even if your moving at 100mph instead of 65mph...your technically aging slower than the turd in the slow lane doing 45 in a 65...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Erager09
For anyone interested in physics...technically speeding will extend your life (a very small amount). The faster you travel the slower time passes for that individual. This is an extremely small amount unless your talking unrealistic speeds (hundreds of thousands of mph).

For example, a person who lives the majority of their life in the penthouse of a skyscraper will age marginally slower than someone at sea level because of the spin of the earth. Much like the tread on a tire moves faster than one of your lugnuts...same rpms but farther distance.

Kind of a geek statement but the effect scales...so even if your moving at 100mph instead of 65mph...your technically aging slower than the turd in the slow lane doing 45 in a 65...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
So like 5mins of your total life saved?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dm1336
So like 5mins of your total life saved?

haha more like 5 seconds.

as for everything else:

1.that was very UNREALISTIC perfect scenario.

2.It was more of an Econ lesson about opportunity cost

3. If I didnt get pulled over in 7 years all that means that there is one in a million/500,000 chance.......since over a million ppl drive then obvi somebody will always get pulled over.....

4. Most accidents happen cuz ppl are DISTRACTED and not paying attention!
Autobahn in Germany has less crashes as compared to any major US highway.
Most European cars dont have 100 cup holders in the car as to prevent ppl from eating while driving......

5.When you speed, it actually increases the amount of adrenaline in your blood and makes you more alert/focus, the ____ part is that your body gets used to it pretty fast hahah and you have to drive faster to get the same adrenaline rush

while talking about Econ, I just went to a Scion meet with WellesleyScion, carben100, and fun173
but I got stuck in traffic for 30 min on the way there. As a result I came up with this:

sitting in Traffic has one of the highest opportunity costs to a person and to a society

BTW where are you guys coming up with $300 tickets? In NH 10 over 50 is a $100 ticket...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Georgia, where I happen to live (which sucks BTW), they came out with a "Super Speeder" Law last year. And I quote:

The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 12stormtroopertc
In Georgia, where I happen to live (which sucks BTW), they came out with a "Super Speeder" Law last year. And I quote:

The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.
Georgia is one location that is a big no no for speeding. Passed through many-a-time and there is nearly always many cops posted up on the highway. They would've got me if I wasn't intentially staying 2nd place to another speeder. Who needs a radar detector when u got a decoy LOL

Originally Posted by Scion202
BTW where are you guys coming up with $300 tickets? In NH 10 over 50 is a $100 ticket...

FL is $140 for 10 over
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the cops in Ga are ridiculous. I though they were bad in Fl, but Ga has them beat for sure. Now I've only got two speeding tickets since I've lived here (4 yrs) but I don't doubt that now that I have my Scion tc back I might encounter some more. I'm checking into the k40 systems right now to see what my options are.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
Insurance increase.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to say that playing gran turismo, forza, etc... from a young age helps. The first time I drove a car, my uncle asked me if I knew how to drive. I said sure, and then he hands me the keys to his 4 speed diesel truck. I was nervous, but decided to still drive it because I didn't want to be a _____.

Long story short, I already had the sense of "direction", and I knew how to drive stick "theoretically". But as we all know practice makes perfect
Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm Ontario 50km/h over the speed limit is an automatic car impound for a week! 7 day license suspension.
If convicted its between $2k - $10k fine, up to 6 months in jail, up to 2yr license suspension.

But the cops here are so cheap... They are always checking your speeds when you are going down a hill! Obviously your speed will be increasing as you go down, but you are speeding so 10 over gets a ticket, 15 over on the highways is a ticket.

And I have been playing Need for Speed games well before I got behind the wheel. That kinda helped me understand limits to cars
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance increase.
Around here (Florida), if you go to court after a speeding ticket and plea "no contest" and have a decent record; they wipe the points clean and you only pay court cost.. sometimes little less than original ticket cost.. without points: no insurance increase
Old 11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thealexhernandez
I have to say that playing gran turismo, forza, etc... from a young age helps. The first time I drove a car, my uncle asked me if I knew how to drive. I said sure, and then he hands me the keys to his 4 speed diesel truck. I was nervous, but decided to still drive it because I didn't want to be a _____.

Long story short, I already had the sense of "direction", and I knew how to drive stick "theoretically". But as we all know practice makes perfect

I know this thread is not a discussion about this but I wanted to chime in anyways. I started racing go-karts at age 7 all the way up to age 13 and that taught me a ton about car control, counter steering and good driving habits in general. I have to agree though that playing the games can help. I love to slide and drift cars around in GTA and when i used to play Turismo i would do it all the time. Three years after the last time i was in a Go kart, I took my first car, A Subaru SVX out into a snow filled parking lot. I turned the wheel, gave it some gas and had it going sideways sliding around with ease. There was no learning curve and i just knew how to do it. I truly believe those games helped me learn about the physics of cars and counter steering them.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fun173
I know this thread is not a discussion about this but I wanted to chime in anyways. I started racing go-karts at age 7 all the way up to age 13 and that taught me a ton about car control, counter steering and good driving habits in general. I have to agree though that playing the games can help. I love to slide and drift cars around in GTA and when i used to play Turismo i would do it all the time. Three years after the last time i was in a Go kart, I took my first car, A Subaru SVX out into a snow filled parking lot. I turned the wheel, gave it some gas and had it going sideways sliding around with ease. There was no learning curve and i just knew how to do it. I truly believe those games helped me learn about the physics of cars and counter steering them.
I think karting had more to do with it than games. At the end of the day you need to develop the instincts required. Just like driving manual, video games teach you how to shift but you need to develop muscle memory to operate a clutch well. You need to feel out the reaction without thinking about it. Likewise, when you start skidding you need to be able to provide the correct inputs(gas, brake, steering) without thinking about it. The only way to develop these instincts is to practice, practice, practice in a safe, controlled environment where there are no consequences for an off. Autox and even karting(real race karts, not amusement park bull ____) provide this for cheap and are extremely fun.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think karting had more to do with it than games. At the end of the day you need to develop the instincts required. Just like driving manual, video games teach you how to shift but you need to develop muscle memory to operate a clutch well. You need to feel out the reaction without thinking about it. Likewise, when you start skidding you need to be able to provide the correct inputs(gas, brake, steering) without thinking about it. The only way to develop these instincts is to practice, practice, practice in a safe, controlled environment where there are no consequences for an off. Autox and even karting(real race karts, not amusement park bull ____) provide this for cheap and are extremely fun.
I agree with you 100%. The karting definitely left a bigger impact than the games. And it was not the fun put put karts at the fairs lol, it was indoor slow karts at F1 Boston then outdoor, "buy your own" race karts that went 60+. I think your spot on when you say video games teach you how but they don't allow for real practice because in real life there are much bigger variables. I guess for me, it was a combination of both but mostly karts.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 PM

i've been pulled over in my tc going 17 over once, 27 over twice and just recently 35 over.

total speeding tickets: 0

fresh.