good news, crossing fingers for you
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any update?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car is running. I'm getting a complete retune. The last tune was on an unhealthy engine and rather than backtracking through the maps, Eric at WR is starting from scratch.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEyeQueue
Car is running. I'm getting a complete retune. The last tune was on an unhealthy engine and rather than backtracking through the maps, Eric at WR is starting from scratch.

That's good news... I hope everything will be fine... Still going for 500 or you just want the car to run?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was in contact with Eric today. The car is running great. Drivability is near factory. They are going to change the break-in oil and then put it back on the dyno for some WOT pulls. He says this is the first time he's been happy with how everything has been working. Super thorough.

As for the goal of 500, it's still there. I just have to bide my time to find either some money to get a return fuel system fabricated, or until someone develops one. As of right now, that's what would hold back the 500 whp. Not to mention it would probably be a good idea to change everything else in the car to hold that much power (transmission, etc.).
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the read the entire thread and you inspire me, haha!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Old thread, but not dead.

So, in case there are people still wondering about this build:

Last fall this was the car on the rollers getting its final tune. This is after a 3rd rebuild. It was running well. Better than it ever had been.

Name:  image-2.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  94.8 KB

About a week later this happened. Apparently, the cylinders were bored too thin. The iron liners had separated and are out of round from the top deck which caused combustion to escape behind the liners and into the aluminum decking. You can see from top pic that the other cylinders have carbon tracing on and behind the liner. At least, that's what they think.

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  59.1 KB

So.... This is short block #4. It's a fully sleeved block with iron to the top of the deck. The head has been sent out and is being milled flat, and drilled for 1/2 inch studs. Also, it's getting a valve job while its being worked on (valves/springs/retainers/etc).

Name:  image1-2.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  89.9 KB

So, there it is. I'm not dead, nor have I given up.

Also, from some reason I can't edit the name of this thread from "ZeroEyeQueue-Update 7/23/2012 MAF Setup to Speed Density".

Last edited by ZeroEyeQueue; 05-23-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man this seams like a lot of crap for 400 whp. I thought it was possible with a simple dezod block without boaring and a bunch of boost.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely. However, Dezod's short block wasn't around back when I started the build. At the time, WR was the only company that had internals, and the EMS2 available.

I haven't seen my car @ 100% in over 2 years. There are a couple people with a built bottom end that have exceeded the 400 whp mark. I made 415 whp myself on the last block, but, as you can tell, I've had a long string of bad luck with my build.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So y not just get a dezod block now and save anymore headaches. Seams crazy to trust a company that's let you down 3 times now.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because at this point it's a headache with no matter who I send it to.

In the end, it's money. Starting all over with Dezod will cost me way more in the long run. The Dezod block is 3k (which I'd have to pull my core and send it to them), which doesn't include sleeves, head work, shipping the block to and from, a new tune, setup and calibration for a prototype AEM EMS2, labor for installation, and delivery of the car. All of that I already paid for once with WR, so I won't be getting charged for anything they had to do more than once. Some of the labor that I was charged for was already credited by WR.

I'd go Dezod, if I knew that the only thing I'd have to pay for is the 3k for the block.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should send it to dezod for you n have it done right lol. That sux tho man would've saved u a lot of trouble had they had their stuff out when you started all this. I'd of given up a long time ago.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read nearly every page of this thread and it has definitely given me insight as to what I should do for good numbers. Thanks for everything that you have contributed to the community.

As for me, I am picking up a turbo kit in the future months, and eventually the dezod shortblock (without your experience, I probably would have done the same thing).

Edit: So after continuous reading, I still am not sure how much the stock transmission can hold.

Last edited by Heartskate; 05-29-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate the kind words. Good luck with your build! I've had bad luck with this build, but don't let that discourage you. All builds run into issues, but it's good to have an idea what may lie ahead. There's always a solution, just some are more costly than others.

Well, to answer the transmission question, WR told me that their transmission started having issues well into the 400's. When my car was running, my trans was holding up @364 WHP, and @410 WHP after one of the rebuilds. So, hopefully, that's some indication of how well it will hold up. However, there are a couple F/I builds out there that have already replaced or are currently repairing their transmissions. I'd ask Dezod how much power their short block customers are pushing and if they've seen any issues.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEyeQueue
I appreciate the kind words. Good luck with your build! I've had bad luck with this build, but don't let that discourage you. All builds run into issues, but it's good to have an idea what may lie ahead. There's always a solution, just some are more costly than others.

Well, to answer the transmission question, WR told me that their transmission started having issues well into the 400's. When my car was running, my trans was holding up @364 WHP, and @410 WHP after one of the rebuilds. So, hopefully, that's some indication of how well it will hold up. However, there are a couple F/I builds out there that have already replaced or are currently repairing their transmissions. I'd ask Dezod how much power their short block customers are pushing and if they've seen any issues.
I would love to hear the answer to that question regarding Dezod's shortblock.