Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Auto x setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to be that competitive as to look into pax index, I'm pretty sure you'll get the best 'pax index time' staying in H-stock and getting r-comp tires.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I agree with you (HS PAX is .791), it would mean not only could I not upgrade my car anymore, but de-modding it (intake, short shifter, springs & motor mount). I want to be as competitive as possible, but still be able to play with my car. ST was good except for tire width (with so much room in the wheel wells, seemed silly to stay on 225 tires), giving me plenty to play with (springs, sways, tower braces, intake, exhaust, header, short shifter, etc).

Bottom line, I bought the car specifically so I could tinker with it, so stock is out, leaving me in at least Street Tuning. Then it just became a matter of finding my happy place where I can play and still be competitive. Right now, I'm not competitive in my car. My PAX score placed me 20 of 29 and when I let guys who are consistently top 5 in PAX do a run in my car, they were slower than I was. Given they don't know my car and I do, I'm sure they'd pick up time if they did a few laps, but it gives me a good idea that my lack of skill is only part of the problem.

UPDATE: Clearly I'm learning as I go along... BBK and LSD in fact are allowed in STX. Definitely the right class for me.

Last edited by MightyP; 08-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
What MightyP Learned in Round 2 of AutoX:

1. The stock Yokohamas are most definitely low-profile passenger tires. I went up as high as 46 PSI in my front tires and still ate up the sidewalls. If I don't already have new tires for my next race, I will be running 40 PSI up front and 47 PSI in back. Had my rears at 47 PSI and the back end felt like it followed pretty well.
Do not adjust your tire pressures based on how the tires seem to be wearing for you. Looks are very deceiving! Only adjust your tire pressure based on how the car feels/performs. You are also making monstrous tire pressure changes going from 40 – 46. You are going from one extreme to the next. There is no way of knowing what you have done to the handling that way. You should only make no more than 1-PSI change at a time. Once you get it into the ball park, you will find yourself only making 0.2-PSI changes…trust me on that one.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned
SL Member

I got this tire inflator and took it to work to calibrate it. This gauge is accurate to 0.01-PSI! And it reads to 0.1-PSI accuracy. For only $70, this is a must tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-3018-Digital-Inflator/dp/B002PUTC0M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1313491139&sr=8-8"><span style=http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-3018-Digital-Inflator/dp/B002PUTC0M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1313491139&sr=8-8" /> http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-3018-Digital-Inflator/dp/B002PUTC0M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1313491139&sr=8-8">http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-3018-Digital-Inflator/dp/B002PUTC0M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1313491139&sr=8-8

For some reason this link is going nuts...

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 08-16-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: For some reason this link is going nuts...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good info on the tire gauge.

And I understand what you're saying about minor changes, but remember, I'm at the very amateur side of racing and what you're suggesting has some practical problems for me.

1. The courses are different for every event, so I only get 8 laps to learn the course and make adjustments. A more experienced driver can walk a course and go full out the first time through, I'm not that experienced yet.
2. I haven't taken the time to verify this, but I'm guessing my tire pressure changes by at least 1 PSI during the lap. My tires go from warm to the touch to too hot to touch after only 1 lap. How do I determine the ideal pressure?
3. I have 4 laps in quick succession, a break and 4 more laps. I can only realistically change my tire pressure once during an event. At 2 events a month, by the time I start to zero in on the ideal tire pressure, that ideal will change due to weather changes.

Bottom line, I agree that your way is the better way, but I don't think I can reasonably apply it with my current skills and abilities. 35 PSI up front felt sloppy the first time. This last time, 46 PSI didn't feel as sloppy, but didn't dig in as well. In both cases, the tires felt sloppy and in both cases, the tires didn't grip as well as I hoped, so now I'm splitting the difference to try and get the best out of my tires.

Thanks again for the info
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

And I understand what you're saying about minor changes, but remember, I'm at the very amateur side of racing and what you're suggesting has some practical problems for me.

You are selling yourself short…that is just an excuse. Experience only gives you the fines not to repeat your mistakes.

1. The courses are different for every event, so I only get 8 laps to learn the course and make adjustments. A more experienced driver can walk a course and go full out the first time through, I'm not that experienced yet.

Not true! You think way too highly of an “experienced” driver. Walking the course is only to look for imperfections in the road that will get you into trouble…or to look for features to help you go faster than the others. With time you will learn what to look for.

2. I haven't taken the time to verify this, but I'm guessing my tire pressure changes by at least 1 PSI during the lap. My tires go from warm to the touch to too hot to touch after only 1 lap. How do I determine the ideal pressure?

Yes…physics 101…with temperature, the pressure will rise…and very linearly! The trick is to do the same think every time. Know what your cold pressure is – then keep an air temperature log and if possible a track temperature log too. That way, when you get to the track, you get the air temperature and the track temperature to select your tire pressures. You are ready to go when you get there!

All the “experienced” drive knows is his staring points and therefore only spends his time dialing in his settings and doesn’t have to start from scratch every time he shows up at the track.

3. I have 4 laps in quick succession, a break and 4 more laps. I can only realistically change my tire pressure once during an event. At 2 events a month, by the time I start to zero in on the ideal tire pressure, that ideal will change due to weather changes.

See above comment…and tire pressure is NOT the cure all. This is just the cheapest and first thing to learn while racing. Keep a very good log.

Bottom line, I agree that your way is the better way, but I don't think I can reasonably apply it with my current skills and abilities. 35 PSI up front felt sloppy the first time. This last time, 46 PSI didn't feel as sloppy, but didn't dig in as well. In both cases, the tires felt sloppy and in both cases, the tires didn't grip as well as I hoped, so now I'm splitting the difference to try and get the best out of my tires.

Good! You are learning your car…once you get to the point that tire pressure will not get you the performance change you need, time to try something different – sway bars, springs, chassis bracing, etc.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, fair enough. And I really am trying to learn.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, fair enough. And I really am trying to learn.
Number one thing to do. Fix the nut behind the wheel. The rest will come from seat time and talking to other guys. What works for some, doesn't work for others, remember that.

Use the car, use the track. Smooth is fast!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is anyone besides 1stOne and me actually AutoXing? I'd love to hear how the car is doing for you! And I might have an offer.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've done 5 autocross events and 2 HDPE's so far on a stock car except exhaust/intake. Tire pressures are the only 'setting up' i've done so far