Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Raceland installation fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Default Raceland installation fail

So I bought raceland coilovers for my tc about 4 months ago and about 2 weeks ago I started hearing a grinding/popping sound coming from the front passenger side. I checked it out to see if everything was tight and not broken and everything seemed to have checked out. I took it to the dealership to get it checked and they told me that I somehow managed to turn a part down there a whole 180 degrees and there was nothing they could do about it. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this so I'm not surprised I screwed this up. Did anyone else screw up like I did? I'm thinking about taking my car to pep boys to see if they can fix it. I don't want to risk screwing it up even more!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Putting pictures up so everyone can see the part you're talking about would help a lot.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics...last place i would take it to is the dealership,they aint gonna help you,cause its aftermarket parts,and they can tell you anything they want...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks guys, I will be posting pics later today. I'm not really sure what part they were talking about but I'll take a lot of pics and hopefully one of you guys can recognize the issue. I agree, I shouldn't have taken it to the dealership they didn't help at all. The guy there was being a douche and sorta scolding me for installing aftermarket parts and to top it off there was a $60 inspection fee

Last edited by TheDarkGnome; 07-17-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Default These are the best I could get with my phone...

Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the noise occuring when your driving normal ,or turning or if you hit a pothole,and how loud is it......
Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by my06tc
is the noise occuring when your driving normal ,or turning or if you hit a pothole,and how loud is it......
Only when turning, but if I'm turning while the car is stationary you don't here it.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheDarkGnome
Only when turning, but if I'm turning while the car is stationary you don't here it.
ok,bounce on the side of the car where its making the noise,and see if it makes it,if not,then check your axle boot,to see if there is any tear within the boost,make grease is leaking out,but i notice in the pic,that you still have the stock rubber dust boot installed,can you move that up and down,that shouldnt be in there,looks like it might be stuck in the top spring in the second pic
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your problem is that you bought Racelands...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SkillFreeJake
Your problem is that you bought Racelands...
^x2 I returned mine for a 15% restock fee, but I was just outside the 1 month return time. Good luck
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a weird knocking/popping noise from my front left side that happens only sometimes when i turn. I have sportlines on my car..... I hope i didnt mess anything up either.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM

So now it's gotten worse and I can hear the same noise on drivers side too!
You can also hear the noise when turning while stationary now.
I think ima just take it to pep boys, kinda don't want to but I think I've done enough damage with my own two hands lol.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really tired of hearing people bashing these coilovers. Yes I understand they are very cheap in price, yes I understand they are not built for racing. People get so wrapped up in getting the "premium" products no matter the cost. Give these companies a chance to do well! Regular people like me don't have thousands of dollars to invest into their ride, but we should still have the option.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is the people that are having problems with these coilovers are the ones that are installing them without a professional, not reading the directions carefully, and not taking the overall dynamics of suspension into consideration. I have been running RL coilovers for over a month now and my only problem is a slight popping noise on the right drivers side every once in awhile. I have already identified the problem and know how to fix it, I just haven't had the time to fix it!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm on racelands with no problems at all
Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EthanAJS
I'm really tired of hearing people bashing these coilovers. Yes I understand they are very cheap in price, yes I understand they are not built for racing. People get so wrapped up in getting the "premium" products no matter the cost. Give these companies a chance to do well! Regular people like me don't have thousands of dollars to invest into their ride, but we should still have the option.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is the people that are having problems with these coilovers are the ones that are installing them without a professional, not reading the directions carefully, and not taking the overall dynamics of suspension into consideration. I have been running RL coilovers for over a month now and my only problem is a slight popping noise on the right drivers side every once in awhile. I have already identified the problem and know how to fix it, I just haven't had the time to fix it!
WHAT?!? Yours came with instructions??? Lucky