Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Springs or Coils? Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Springs or Coils? Undecided

Can't decide whether to get lowering springs or coil-overs. I know I want a drop but I want a conservative drop due to my car being a daily driver and I also use it for work. However I like the idea of fully adjustable suspension that can be tuned any time I feel like it. I don't know if I will ever get into any autoX or do any track days but the thought has crossed my mind as I have done some track days on my bike. Again this is my DD so I am not sure that would be a good idea. So those of you that have either coils or springs or that have had both what would be your thoughts and can you make any suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

couple questions

how old is your current suspension (are the struts soon to need replaced)
how low are you wanting to go?
do you want a gentle or stiff ride?
what is your budget?
what is your ultimate goal of your suspension?
is it your daily or are you going to be doing auto-x/tracking?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

I have the car for a year this month and I have 27k miles on it. There is nothing wrong with the current suspension however I want better handling. As far as the drop 1.5 inch would probably be my max. I do mostly hiway driving however my job requires me to do a lot of residential driving as well. When it comes to Hard vs. stiff I think I am leaning more towards stiff I want to be able to corner and not be all over the road. The tC has a lot of body roll. Of course my intention is to add sways and the the strut brace however I need to make a decision on the coils or springs first. It is my DD however id like to be able to hit a track day every now and then or do some autoX. And as for budget I am working with about $1000 which can get me a decent set of coils or springs. If I go coils i was looking at BC Racing. Lastly my ultimate goal is just to have a clean and well tuned tC that can perform well on the the street as well as the track. I think I answered all the questions.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

coils
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea it sounds like coils would be good especially if you drop about 1.5 and you decide you want more, plus controlling the tension of it. and sway bar will definitely show you a big change more than the strut bar (IMO it did and i've just got the trd on the street setting)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member

Coils cost more, sadly, but are definitely the way to go since you can control so many features. Plus they're better for your car, or so I've been told.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBubbaBossX
Coils cost more, sadly, but are definitely the way to go since you can control so many features. Plus they're better for your car, or so I've been told.
if you do an aggressive spring drop like the s-techs eventually you'll need to struts as well (which cost a lot more than springs). in the long run there's not too much price dfiference between the set ups depending on which brand/style coilover and if you buy new/used