Notices

Overly Ambitious Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Default Overly Ambitious Fit?

Hey guys!

Ive been all over up and down the forum and havent found feedback on this type of setup... I have it staged to ship and before i fork over my dollars i want to know your feedback

XXR 535 18*10.25 +20
Nitto 265/35ZR-18 (Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance)

I am on Eibach Sport Kit lowering springs (1"-1.25") and currently on stock rims and factory tyres.

I dont really want to be 'stanced' and do not really want to roll my fenders, but looking to MAXIMIZE contact to reduce understeer...

*note: lower profile tyre reduces chances of rubbing?

Thoughts?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Overly Ambitious Fit?-xxr535flatblack.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think most people only run 10 in the back, it may be hard to squeeze in to the front. If your worried about under steer then it sounds like you want a performance set up, in which case its actually better to stick to narrow wheels more appropriate to the size tire you plan to run as stretching a tire to get it to fit into the wheel well increase side wall flex and under steer.

If you're just trying to look "stanced" the go for it, you can probably fit them in. If you want to stop under steer pick a tire and size that you want to run and buy rims of a width that matches what the tire manufacturer recommends. In the case of the nitto of that size I'd go with a 9" wide wheel as it will be easier to fit, you'll be able to drive it harder without rubbing or destroying a fender plus it will be lighter. If you want to go really extreme and plan on auto-xing or something then you should even run a skinnier tire in the back to help reduce under steer though it will look weird and super sunk compared to the front.

Lower profile tires will be smaller and reduce the chance of rubbing, however they will also increase the amount of wheel gap you have and throw off your speedometer.

Edit: Actually if reducing under steer is your main goal the most practical solution would be to upgrade the rear sway bar. TRD, eibach and I think progress are all great choices for the tC.

Last edited by Scorch3; 12-17-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea with this setup you will be poking and rubbing bad in the front, and the rear you would be poking a little and rubbing. 10.25 is actually a little to wide in the rear for your setup and way to wide in the front unless you were cambered. To make this work you would have to roll and pull your front fenders and roll you rear fenders and add camber.

Im running
Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you guys think that 18x9 with around +30 offset would work better?
scionchicop had 9.5 width on his first wheels and they were about even with the fenders:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203901
Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, i do have the eibach front and rear sway bars on there and they help. The kicker is that i have the dezod turbo that is going on in the next little bit and want to have the shoes to keep me in the turns...

ideally, i didnt want to stretch the tyre, what width of wheel fits a 265/(35-40) best in your opinion?

Youre right about the performance suggestion... the only thing i care about looks wise is that i have the flush look of the thread you pointed me to. and thought wider wheels and tyres would look better no matter what.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if the only thing you car about is looks, then why the turbo
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KidJustin
if the only thing you car about is looks, then why the turbo
Sorry, that verbage was bad... the only thing 'look-wise' that i care about is the flush-ness of the wheel to fender.

It is all about performance, the look comes second.