Notices

Which Tires Are Better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Which Tires Are Better?

Just seeing if there is a preference amongst everybody here...that could help me make my decision.

Yokohama Avid S34F VS. Bridgestone RE97AS Potenza

Im in need of new tires (all 4), but the stock (Yokohama) are the most expensive. Running about $220 everywhere i'm looking. A friend of mine who works in a body shop suggested the Bridgestones and swears by them and they are about $160 everywhere. Slight difference in price...I want to go with the cheapest option...but also thinking of quality. The stock ones have done me no wrong. I just hit 50,000 miles on my 2013 tC.

In my previous car (2009 tC), I made the mistake and cheaped out on the tires...forgot what brand but they were from Pep Boys and they were about $120 a tire. Times were hard back then lol. But about 6 months later I had to replace 2 of them to pass inspection. And I don't want to end up going that route again.

Whats you recommendations, if any? Thanks Guys!

Last edited by rocefresh; 03-06-2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ordered 4 Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring - 215 /50 R17 95V XL BSW
from discount tire direct.
having them put on @ toyota dealer w/ road force balancing & alignment.
I had been running yoko avid's and they gripped real well over the past 3 years but have started to really wear down after about 30k miles.

will repost after I get a chance to test drive!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Running Nitto Neogens, and despite being a "summer only" tire, they got me through 18"s of snow one night.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stenger - I love the ride quality of Yokohama Avid's. Would you say your ride quality stayed the same or increased in the stiffness?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Update

Thank you for everyone who responded.

I actually decided to go with the OEM Yokohama Avids. Never had any issue the first 50k....and not looking to have any issues the next 50k. Pricey but it's worth not having to worry if I made the right choice after a few thousand miles.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocefresh
Thank you for everyone who responded.

I actually decided to go with the OEM Yokohama Avids. Never had any issue the first 50k....and not looking to have any issues the next 50k. Pricey but it's worth not having to worry if I made the right choice after a few thousand miles.
Good decision. The rules in buying parts for your car are "good, fast, cheap - you can only pick two". So good decision going with great performing pricey tires. I would do the same.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2012TC
Stenger - I love the ride quality of Yokohama Avid's. Would you say your ride quality stayed the same or increased in the stiffness?
Can't answer honestly. I went down 1 size on the tire so I have a harsher ride from that alone.

But they are pretty grippy tires when they get a little heat in them.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default Toyo Proxes A20

My 2012 tC came with Proxes A20, fantastic tires. Relatively quiet, smooth, good in wet snow and dry traction, long treadlife, i'm rolling up on 46k and still have a good amount of tread left.

But my question is what set next? @ $300 a pop on tirerack.com and a bit more everywhere else, I don't think I want to put that much behind tires.

I'm eyeing some Yokohoma Advan's http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....C&autoModClar=

Anyone buy these before and give some feedback? I've driven a new car with Yoko Envigor's and they were super loud as the reviews on tirerack reflect as well. My other choice besides these are Conti Extreme Contact DWS, but these Yokos are a bit cheaper and if they are good I might end up giving them a shot.

I used to have rims on my old Camry and they had Hankook Ventus V4 tires, 225/40R18. Tires themselves were pretty cheap, and they had a bit of roar, and when they wore down were super noisy. They rode and drove great, but were very prone to bubbles, I don't think i hit potholes especially hard but I remember I had numerous sidewall bubbles from potholes.

The proxies i'm riding now, have never had a bubble even with hitting hard pot holes. Very impressive. I guess thats where that $300 price tag goes to.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sidewall composition does wonders for abusive roads. If you have too stiff of a side wall, harsh ride. To soft, well tire roll will suck butt in the hard corners. And if the material inside is cheap/loose then the belts tend to snap causing that bubble.

You can get good tires cheap. I think NeoGens are about $100-120 a tire, but they are an older design so that reflects the price. Gotta pay to play, or play old school.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

My next set of tires will be either These; Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Yoko Advans
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&tab=Reviews

or
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I have a local shop who quoted me prices for the Conti's and compared the of buying the Yoko's on Amazon prime for $139 w/free shipping. Its not a huge difference in price so I just have to pick one.

The conti's have great reviews, the Yokos dont have many on tirerack but the ones that are there are 9s...anyone buy these tires have any feedback?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member

Have the Conti DWS on my wife's tC. I bought them because this shop- 4WO|Shop for Tires gave me a nice discount and most of my friends recommended this tire. Already had 25k miles on them and I can say that traction on wet and dry roads is excellent though never tried them in the snow.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by m1keteam
Have the Conti DWS on my wife's tC. I bought them because this shop- 4WO|Shop for Tires gave me a nice discount and most of my friends recommended this tire. Already had 25k miles on them and I can say that traction on wet and dry roads is excellent though never tried them in the snow.

How about noise level? Had Conti ProContact's on my previous vehicle. They had good grip and quiet ride, but that was a smaller size. 195/65R16
Old 05-16-2015, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got my first flat today. Daughter was on her way for a MTO driving test and this happens on a major highway doing 100km/hr. Strange feeling these low profile tires do when they go flat. We were near our turn off when it happened and stopped at the first chance we had. At first I taught it was a loose wheel so I was double checking the wheel nuts when I noticed the tire had a flat. The short drive we did on the flat tire ruined the sidewall so we had to cancel the driving test and find a replacement tire. End up finding one at Kal Tire in town and I had to replace it no matter what kind it was. I was into a bind and could possibly make-up the driving test if there was a cancellation in the next couple of bookings. End up putting on 1 General G-Max As-03 and back to the MTO for a possible booking which didn't happened. So now what do I do, bought one tire so may as well buy three more and be done with the tires and be ready for the summer trip planned this summer. All new brakes and tires, I sure hope the TC will be ready for the long haul. I'll update later on the tire choice......
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's recommended you replace at least 2 tires at a time. I'd go back and get another and just have the two new ones on the front.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VitaminE
It's recommended you replace at least 2 tires at a time. I'd go back and get another and just have the two new ones on the front.
Just ordered three more to do the complete swap. Hope it works out!