Notices

Wheel theft!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Default Wheel theft!

I was reading a yahoo article about wheele theft and I am not sure if I should be concerned about something like this. You could spend $$$ on a complex wheel lock system, but they can just chisle them off.

Has anyone recently gotten there wheels snaged? Has anyone invested in wheel locks?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you live in a bad area? You just stated wheel locks will not stop thieves if they want the wheels, only slow them down. That being said I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is...
Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM

No I dont live in a bad area, just curious as to what others have done to protect a hefty investment in wheels. I know that if I were to drop a that much into a pair of shoes that I would want to protect my investment.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Other than an alarm with leveling sensors, there isn't much. You could only run the wheels during show season. Having a garage helps too. The point is if someone has the same lugs as you do (giving them access to the lock key), locks are pointless.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 PM

This is true, and why I will probably get the leveling sensors when I get my Viper 5901 installed.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if a thief really wants to steal them and take any risks necessary...its hard to find something to stop them, but because they are taking a bigger risk they are more likely to get caught.

which is why u just have to prepare to make things harder for them and hope that there are only the typical "get in, get out" thieves are around. If you make it hard for them then they are more likely to give up and find an easier target in fear that someone will see them and they will get caught

with that said, i've seen a lot of people get 2 sets of wheel locks and mix them up on each wheel. you can buy one set and a TRUSTED buddy can buy another...and then you guys just split them
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never had wheel locks or anything. If someone wants to take the wheels that bad...then take them. That's what I have insurance for.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
with that said, i've seen a lot of people get 2 sets of wheel locks and mix them up on each wheel. you can buy one set and a TRUSTED buddy can buy another...and then you guys just split them
I did this for about 6 months when I lived in a REALLY rough area. People screwed with my car and I even had a Viper alarm system. Stole my antenna, my valve stem caps, and wrote profanities on my car using their fingers through the build-up dust.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IF thief has a DEALER master key set which is distributed by MCGUARD it doesn't matter how many sets you put on the car. it still will be jacked.....
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know they can steal them anyways, but it still makes me feel better knowing they're there. I got the trd lug kit that are spline and include the lock plus they are tuner lugs which are thinner for when I change my rims...
Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've used McGard wheel locks since the early '70s on all my vehicles, including 4X4s, etc.

I've lived is some areas that were pretty bad, with wheels (and other parts) disappearing from vehicles around mine on a regular basis. I've had vandalism on my cars, I've had parts end up missing, but I've yet to lose even one wheel.

The cost of the locks is minimal, the difficulty they add is enough to deter the casual thief - or at least in many cases to make him look for an easier target.

That's about all you can do. Make your property a harder target than someone else's in the hope that the thief moves on and hits them instead of you.

YMMV...
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

the big thing people do around here to steal wheels even a leveling sensor probably wont stop it because theyll set blocks of wood under the rocker panels on all 4 sides then they flatten the wheels and take them off and the car barley moves
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

organized crime will steal anything.... but the most popular/wide spread is opportunistic/situational theft where they want to do as little effort as possible. so make it hard buy using locks/alarms
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

two words. tuner lugs! not like those dumbasses will have a gorilla key
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2 i have tuner lugs and havent had any problem with that...what i also do is when i park i turn my wheels all one way..that way even IF they take them off they cant take the wheel off and y would you only want to back wheels lol
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol noones going to steal your wheels man. well at least definitely not mine. if someone tries ill just shoot my shotgun out the window haha. my driveways right in my backyard and my bedrooms the room thats right above it.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

viper Smartstart. If the alarm gets triggered, then it alerts your smartphone via txt message. You then proceed to kill them by whatever means since you are now aware that someone is tampering with your ____.