Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

from what i've heard more than just final drive is different. i may be wrong. either way thje gears/gear are/is different.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your not gonna get all the same factory eqiupment that is standard in the xa like power windows, mirrors, better stero system and so on
Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
so same powerplant different tranny? What tranny does it share>?
it shares the same gears as an echo from what i'm told. the scions/echo/yaris transmissions are the same the gears inside are what's different.
From my understanding, its just a different final drive thats the difference between the two.
From what I heard, the Echo has the C150 transmission (which is the same one found in the 1.3l Vitz in Japan). The xA/xB have the C154 (??) transmission that is found on the Vitz 1.5l (RS? FE?). The Kaaz, TRD, C-One, etc LSDs fit the C154, but not the C150.

Things that prevent me from wanting a Yaris... echo gear ratios, lame throttle/drive by wire, power locks/windows/etc is extra, and the interior. The interior looks cheap (at least from what I've seen from pictures of the Canadian counterpart...)
Old 11-27-2005, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

your mom looks cheap. j/k. u know i love u miko. lol.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

I wouldn't give up my xA.

I'm trying to talk my friend (who thinks that the xA is 'too sporty') into buying a Yaris.
I think it would be the perfect car to replace his totalled Saturn.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member

Ive been on some ride/drives with the yaris two door and 4 door(being a toyota tech has its perks).

The 4 door looks good esp with the flare kits.Nice room and quiet.
The 2 door is to ugly for me.Less room than the xa but more cargo room.
Gas mileage will be in the same range as the XA is now.Not a lot of difference in the drivetrain..The biggest difference is gonna be in the steering and suspension.The yaris has electrical power steering and 50% better suspension compaired to a echo chassis.

They will both start well under 13k..
Old 12-18-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just rmmeber being new to the states means problems for the first 2 years to get the bugs out

"hi-ho cheerio"
Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by p2filz
just rmmeber being new to the states means problems for the first 2 years to get the bugs out

"hi-ho cheerio"

Should not be any bugs.The yaris has been out for years in europe and japan.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Yup. . . it isn't really a new car, just an update of the Echo. . . which is the same thing that is underneath the skins of the xA, xB, Echo, and JDM Vitz, BB, IST, Platz, Euro Yaris, and SE Asian Vios, and a few others that I'm forgetting. I doubt we will see many problems, save for maybe the elctro-steering thing. . . but from recent tests, it seems to be a HUGE improvement? Freeing up HP? I dunno.

Longer wheelbases and a better stance sure is going to help the ride too.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely yaris over xA, however If i already had an xA, i wouldnt lose money on the trade.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for someone else not figuring out the search function.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default Why can they offer the 5 door in Canada and not let US impt?

I grew up only a few hours from the Canadian border...
I bought the xA because, honestly, it was the closest I could get to an Echo hatch here in the US... They sell the Echo Hatch or Yaris Hatch or whatever have you across the border in Canada but they aren't allowed to export it to the US, and you can't even go across the border and buy it and bring it back. (more on that later).

My other car is a 2000 Echo sedan, and it's been a great car, a few quirks, but nothing earth shattering, and great mileage, typically anywhere from 34-41, and that's with an automatic.

My 2005 xA will hit 13k tomorrow, and I'm seriously disappointed in the mileage; I'm getting about 28 on a regular basis, MAYBE breaking 30-31 on a long trip with more than an hour of highway driving; this is without long warmups or anything specific that would draw the mileage down. I was getting the same before the snow, so it's not specifically the weather that's causing the issue.

I plan on discussing this, the fact that it doesn't seem to turn right over even though the battery is new and there *shouldn't* be any issues, and that the transmission seems a bit sluggish at times between gears, with the dealer at the next service/oil change, but I'm not sure it will do any good...

Back to US-Canada: Apparently back when NAFTA came in, Toyota Canada and Toyota USA set up "non-compete" rules between themselves-- ToyCan won't fill out the US import paperwork for an individual unless a car has been OWNED in Canada and operated for at least a year... Dealers who violate this (it happened across the border from NYS, per a dealer up there; I called) get fined majorly and could well lose the franchise (I heard it was $750k CDN fine) .... There may or may not be similar rules between the US versions and the CDN versions of cars; not sure as I didn't specifically ask...

ToyUSA won't/can't get a car from ToyCan to sell, and last I talked to the local dealers, they say that there's "not enough demand" for an Echo Hatch to warrant producing it in the states...

My response to that is - fine - let ToyCan make the thing and let me buy it here!! I don't even care if it has to come through ToyotaUSA and a dealer, or even if I have to go up there to buy it and deal with the cross-border paperwork, so long as they are willing to fill out their section (has to be filled out by dealer &/or corporate).. but "corporate" won't even allow it, which is one of the silliest things I've ever heard of.

Of course, I emailed Toyota, and heard back exactly what I expected: nothing.

And now they "announce" the US Yaris... the 3 door... and the 4 door. No 4+hatch.
Never mind that it's only available in 5 door in every other country.

I love my Echo, and despite the crappy mileage compared to the posted/advertised, I like the xA, but the storage space with the seats up is just not enough.. that with the mileage has me keeping my eyes open for another center-console/speedometer hatch that will do the job since Toyota USA can't see it's way clear to make the 5 door Yaris available to those customers in the US that want it.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a lil disapointed of the yaris new body style i liked the yaris 2001 body way better but in 01 no 1 cared about lil cars so i would have never made it in the us so the Xa is better
Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rumor has it the liftback won't have a tach. Boooo!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the last generation Vitz/Yaris better,. I find the Honda Fit more appealing than the new Yaris.
Yup same here. Actually, when I was shopping for a car the car I wanted was the last model turbo Vitz. It would have worked out nicely as my daily driver.

But no, I wouldn't trade in the xA...yeah, I also owe too much!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

When a car has potential to look like this... I'll definitely consider it. Putting in half of the car's worth in mods, I'd be taking a huge hit if I trade in.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is that thing, the Toyota Vitz STi?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Why can they offer the 5 door in Canada and not let US i

Originally Posted by cvtroll
ToyCan won't fill out the US import paperwork for an individual unless a car has been OWNED in Canada and operated for at least a year... Dealers who violate this (it happened across the border from NYS, per a dealer up there; I called) get fined majorly and could well lose the franchise (I heard it was $750k CDN fine) .... There may or may not be similar rules between the US versions and the CDN versions of cars; not sure as I didn't specifically ask...
Actually it's six months. This directly from ToyCan.
I had contacted a dealer outside Vancouver, that at one point was exporting Echo hatches and Priuses. When the Yaris released up there I ran up to get a hands-on, and got the feeling that ToyCan was cracking down on them......wouldn't even discuss selling over the border. Essentially just got a wink when I asked if the car could be purchased by Can citizen and then exported. When I contacted them a month prior to this, they were all gung ho about exporting, was a real 180.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ____geek
When a car has potential to look like this... I'll definitely consider it. Putting in half of the car's worth in mods, I'd be taking a huge hit if I trade in.

That's the old-style Yaris, BTW.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt trade my xA in but i have to admit at first glance i was struck by "what is THAT!" but upon closer look i like the xA better

Quick Reply: Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?