Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hatch is 2290 llbs. sedan is2288 llbs. they probably slightly re-tuned it somehow stroke might have changed or they figured out some new timing setup. i'm not sure exactly how they squeezed out the extra little bit of power.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW the sedan only weighs in @ 2288 lbs. that's amazing. that's a good change lighter than the xA
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did a LOT of research into the Yaris before going with the xA and from what I gathered, the Yaris is basically a tweaked xA (and just 3 doors) with the latest work from the Toyota engineers. The major diffs were the lighter weight (i.e. cheaper interior, if you've not seen one yet), a change in the tranny gear ratio, and the steering is electrical, so it's not using engine power for steering.

I read somewhere that Scion owners would be envious of the new transmission and would be clamoring to figure out some way to swap transmissions. So far I haven't seen that.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the Yaris used lower gear ratios, too. That'd most likely translate into slower acceleration times.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

once i pay off my xA i think im gonna get the yaris, the 4 door. i think ill just get the power doors and windows, and i dont think i care for anything else, i can get all the other stuff my self for cheap and put it in myself.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

Originally Posted by no_xB_yet
When it arrives in the US in March 2006?

Should get a little better MPG.
Blasphemy!!!

Trade in the door stop for it's little brother with less power? Never!

Scion for Life.

What the heck does Yaris mean anyway? Scion means tree branch....or something close to that.......Yaris?

Probably means Leaf or Root.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

Originally Posted by rabelco
Originally Posted by no_xB_yet
When it arrives in the US in March 2006?

Should get a little better MPG.

What the heck does Yaris mean anyway? Scion means tree branch....or something close to that.......Yaris?

Probably means Leaf or Root.
Actually, scion means "decendant."

Yaris is the name of a Greek god of health.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya uh i dotn even fit in the yaris let alone take it on a tst drive xA here i come!!!! EEEEEEEEE
Old 05-21-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA-llent
I did a LOT of research into the Yaris before going with the xA and from what I gathered, the Yaris is basically a tweaked xA (and just 3 doors) with the latest work from the Toyota engineers. The major diffs were the lighter weight (i.e. cheaper interior, if you've not seen one yet), a change in the tranny gear ratio, and the steering is electrical, so it's not using engine power for steering.

I read somewhere that Scion owners would be envious of the new transmission and would be clamoring to figure out some way to swap transmissions. So far I haven't seen that.
Just wondering how many Liftbacks you "actually" saw in person, to make your decesion on buying an xA over it.
Just sounds odd, being as there are very few Liftbacks to even hit American soil yet.

Good choice either way, I was also looking at the xA for my replacement commuter, but thought id go for something a little different. First Toyota I have owned, and im being told Toyota/Scion will last me a very long time.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is a person in my apartment building that drove home in the blue Yaris liftback on Friday. Only one word can some it up: Cute.

You can see a bit of the xA in that car but it's atleast 1.5 feet shorter than an egg so it's quite small. I kinda like it, but I'm taken on my xA.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wondering how many Liftbacks you "actually" saw in person, to make your decesion on buying an xA over it.
Just sounds odd, being as there are very few Liftbacks to even hit American soil yet.
Just how many would I have to see? I saw one Yaris, and then I saw one xA. The choice was very easy from that point.
The Yaris has been at dealerships for over a month now in limited quantities. If you really want to see them, you can.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"honda fit isn't worth it. think of the placement of the gas tank under the front seats i think thats a horrible idea."

Why do you care where the gas tank is? Are you afraid it is going to blow up or something?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA-llent
Just how many would I have to see? I saw one Yaris, and then I saw one xA. The choice was very easy from that point.
The Yaris has been at dealerships for over a month now in limited quantities. If you really want to see them, you can.
Easy hombre, it was a question, not busting your ***** over your decison!

Dealing with dealerships all over the East coast, the only Yaris' that were "sitting on the lots" were the sedans, not Liftbacks. And the few and far between that DID pop up in regional searche's, were already SOLD.

I guess ill just have to hope I like my Yaris as much in person, as I do from pictures. If not, Scions come a dime a dozen around me, ill just have to convert.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member

In South Florida, they are charging an ADDITIONAL $3000 limited availability fee on the 3-door hatchback! So the one I saw with the $13.9K price is $16.9K OUCH!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jF_xA
In South Florida, they are charging an ADDITIONAL $3000 limited availability fee on the 3-door hatchback! So the one I saw with the $13.9K price is $16.9K OUCH!
they do that on every toyota in south florida. frankly, I'm shocked that people buy there.

12k out the door (as someone way up there mentioned) for a yaris is not going to happen. Not because dealers are greedy but because most people who go into business refuse to re-sell a widget for less than what they paid for it. There's about 600 bucks mark up in these things. It's not a slow moving Aveo with a 1500 in dealer money and rebates + markup.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

16k?? Ouch is right!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry, that is NOT a 16k car........
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were going to get a liftback, I'd want a stripped-down version. No power anything — hell — don't even give me a stereo. I'll install my own, thanks. The only options I'd care for would be A/C, side airbags, and maybe ABS. However, the chances of me finding this combo — with a five-speed — would be next to nothing. Alll of the liftbacks I've seen around here have been automatics, too.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manual ones will be coming in a couple more months. The first ones I heard would be in June. And yes, the base Yaris has no stereo, just the speakers installed. A/C is standard. side air bags are extra, and ABS is also an option. If you just get a couple of options, the price is still low, but if you're like me, I like power stuff and the xA fits the bill. I just wish the xA had the same MPG as the Yaris.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know I could find the #'s if I looked, but I am too lazy today, what are the Yaris's mpg numbers?

Quick Reply: Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?