2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Maintenance at 30,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Maintenance at 30,000 miles

I looked in the owner's manual, and there really isn't any maintenance at 30,000 miles other than oil and filter change.

My 2006 Scion xA goes out of warranty at the end of the week. I'm taking it in to have a few things fixed (a couple of cracked trim pieces, a missing cover over the windshield wiper bolt), and wanted to get any needed service done. I change my own oil and filter every 5000 miles and have recently (w/in 5000 miles changed to a K&N air filter). I don't think I need any of the standard service as I believe I have done all that. At some point, I guess I need to change the spark plugs.

Is there anything I should have done? I can't see paying for a 30,000 mile service if they aren't going to change the oil, filter, air filter, and rotate the tires (I rotate them myself too). The service guy mentioned a fuel injector cleaning should be done at 30,000 miles, but the owner's manual doesn't mention anything about that. FYI...I have 27,500 miles on the car, but fairly close to 30,000.

Any information is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fuel injection service can be more important than some think. At 30k miles, I don't necessarily think it's that important if you use good gas (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html).

Fuel injectors get dirty and over (lots of) time will not spray the right amount of fuel. It's important to clean them from time to time and the best way to do this is to run straight fuel system cleaner through the fuel rail. The dealer has an apparatus to run the car directly off the fuel system cleaner for 15 or 20 mnutes. It's a lot more effective than just dumping a pint of cleaner in the tank. The dealer typically charges, what, $80-$120 for a fuel system service.

Alternatively, don't service the injectors for 15 years and then send them off to Witchhunter to test them and see what the variance is. It's surprising how bad they can get, especially if you use cheap gas.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I went into Toyota last Thursday to get my radio replaced under warranty (mine expires Feb. 8th) and my 30,000 mi. service. They recommended the fuel injector cleaning service as well - for $200! I declined so I could do some research.

I found that this is often times unnecessary or even a flat out scam. There have been reports of auto shops charging for the service & never actually doing anything. Though, I like to think a genuine Toyota dealership wouldn't pull anything like that. Also, studies have shown that cars that use higher quality gas often never need to get this service done. But, of course, it can't hurt. I work right next door to a Chevron station, so I tend to mostly use their Techron-infused gas - and still the mechanic recommended it. Maybe they recommend the cleaning to everyone - or maybe I really need it?

I ask the service rep who helped me set up my radio replacement and 30k service & he said I probably wouldn't have to worry very seriously about it for another 15k, so it can't be THAT urgent I guess. I got a coupon from a Shell station for a $45 injector cleaning service. Much better than $200.. maybe I'll just do that.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have a manual or auto tranny ?

If auto, I believe the service interval for draining your tranny oil is 25-30K miles. The cost is usually $120

If manual, all you need is 2 quarts of 75-90 gear oil = about $10. There are two nuts to remove(one lower bolt for initially dumping the old 2-quarts out, and a upper bolt for injecting the new gear oil).

*Tire rotations every 4-5K miles.. recommended... make that rubber last!
*Spark plugs: factory platinums last.. I believe 25-30K miles. I recommend getting a Irridium plug = 80-100K mile service life + better gas milage.

Also, in terms of engine oil I recommend to everyone to go synthetic. For $18 (5-quart jug at Walmart = Walmart brand = Quaker State Syn. in Western states, = Valvoline Synthetic in Eastern + Mid-West states).

Regular dino oil is a joke anymore. Its best to only run that 3-4K miles, and it makes the engine less efficient. I have witnessed it w/ the xA first hand. Regular oil will make your engine work harder , Synthetic is the ticket = smoother operation, plus you can go 5-6K miles between oil changes w/Synthetic.. no problems. Spend the extra $5-8 per oil change.. go synthetic.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just saw this:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...l+transmission
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

around 35k i had my brake pads replaced and my rotors turned, but that may just be my driving habits. i have heard of others complaining about the brakes going early though.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm at 23k on a 06' Xa rs 3.0 and all the maintenance i've done is moved too valvoline synthetic,replaced the plugs with NGK G power plugs, drop in k&n filter.
Car runs great.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced the brake pads @ about 35k, and was told I need to have my brake disks tightened? Didn't do that...haven't had any issues as of thus far (currently @ 43k).