Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Replace Aftermarket RKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Replace Aftermarket RKE

We recently purchased a 2005 xA which has an aftermarket (non-Toyota) RKE system, but the previous owner lost both remotes. Since the car is with my daughter at college I am unable to check to see who makes this in order to get new remotes, but I was wondering if it might be easier to just buy a new unit.

It seems like a system like this: http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Keyle...ess-Entry-Unit
would be fairly easy to install and cost about the same as replacement remotes.

Assuming that my logic is good, how difficult is this project? I consider myself about a 2 on a 1-5 scale for auto DIY projects.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you bought this at a real dealership, then you messed up. Once the dealership takes ownership of a vehicle, everything with that vehicle is now their problem including aftermarket stuff. Before I bought it, I would have said that if I'm going to buy this car from you guys, I need you to fix the keyless entry situation. And they would have. Well.. first they would have said, well.. we might be able to, let me check. Or I don't think we can. No, wrong. They can and they will. So you messed up there. So what you do now, seeing as how you are a 2 outta 5, call an car audio/car alarm place and tell them your situation. Ask if they can program the existing one or if you need a whole new head unit. If they just have a reprogram it then you're looking at $50 with fabs probably. If they have to install a new unit, you're probably only looking at $200 with the unit. Honestly, that xA is almost 8 years old, I'd open it and lock it with my key everytime...
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM

FWIW, the xA was purchased from a private seller, not a dealership. I will look into finding a local car audio place to see if they can reprogram the existing unit and provide new key fobs since that sounds like the cheapest and easiest option.

I was wondering, however, what the car being 8 years old has to do with anything and why you would suggest using the key?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably just plain ignorance and some young kid not taking pride in their machine with upkeep aside from oil changes.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by taman86
Probably just plain ignorance and some young kid not taking pride in their machine with upkeep aside from oil changes.
First off, thanks for that remark. Second, this guy is a clown. Why would you ever ever ever come on here when you have a problem that you know about. A real person with pride in their vehicle would bite the bullet and get it done the right way, not come on here. So since he didn't seem too thrilled to spend the money, I figured he'd save a dollar and have a headache everyday. My 8 year old comment was more a slap in the face. I take care of my sh*t and I never have a problem spending money. I'm not that "just-zip-tip-it" guy. Thanks again, that was very inappropriate and unnecessary. And makes me very angry when if you knew me, you'd know how I am with my stuff. And I'm not a kid nor ignorant.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
First off, thanks for that remark. Second, this guy is a clown. Why would you ever ever ever come on here when you have a problem that you know about. A real person with pride in their vehicle would bite the bullet and get it done the right way, not come on here. So since he didn't seem too thrilled to spend the money, I figured he'd save a dollar and have a headache everyday. My 8 year old comment was more a slap in the face. I take care of my sh*t and I never have a problem spending money. I'm not that "just-zip-tip-it" guy. Thanks again, that was very inappropriate and unnecessary. And makes me very angry when if you knew me, you'd know how I am with my stuff. And I'm not a kid nor ignorant.
Dude, I am TOTALLY lost with your comment. What is the "right" way? All I wanted to know was if it would be easier (and possibly less expensive) to simply swap about the RKE unit with a new one. Spending money is not the issue, but I want to spend my money intelligently. Apart from the missing key fobs the car is immaculate and I expect that it will be in our family for a while.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great for you. I was talking to the guy that insulted me.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

pretty sure RKE was still optional in the 05 xA, but standard on the 05 xB. I'd go to the local car audio shop and see what they want to install a new RKE system. It really shouldnt be that much more for them to do a remote start system as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does RKE Stand for?

I personally don't like having generic alarms in my cars. I don't spend crazy money on them, but I get known brands. I currently have a Viper alarm on my XA. It was $150 with installation. It usually sells online for about $65 shipped if you want to install it yourself.

It's the Viper 350 Plus. It has keyless entry, and the doors lock automatically when you turn on the car, and unlock when you turn it off. It has a sensor for every door and an adjustable shock sensor for the windows. 1t has a 1,500ft range and a few other options.

It's a basic, economical alarm and has good reviews.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

RKE is Remote Keyless Entry.