Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Top 10 cars for women (about.com)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Top 10 cars for women (about.com)

I'm not intending for this thread to start a "xA's not a chick car!" war. Just thought the list was interesting. The Jetta's on there but so is the Civic. So say what you will.

http://cars.about.com/od/helpforcarb...cars_women.htm

1) Scion xA
The Toyota-built Scion xA is well-equipped, fun to drive, economic and incredibly practical, with lots of interior space packed into a small package. It'ss an ideal entry-level vehicle for the woman who's buying her first new car, and it's just as appealing for city-slickers -- xA drivers can squeeze their car into almost any parking space. And Toyota quality means it'll last forever. Tip: The automatic is zippy in town but the stick-shift is a better choice for highway driving.

2) Mazda 3
Mazda's new compact brings with it a combination of style, space, and driving pleasure not often found in this class. The 4-door costs less initially but we recommend the 5-door for all-round practicality, not to mention a little elbow room for a growing family.

3) Mazda Miata
The Miata is a great set of wheels for a woman who doesn't have a family, and an excellent second car for one who does. Few cars deliver the Miata's combination of fun in the sun and raw driving thrills. Though trunk room is tight, the Miata offers just enough room for a romantic weekend getaway for two. If you like to go fast, the Mazdaspeed edition is an outstanding performance value.

4) Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen's compact sedan offers up enough individuality for an independant woman, enough cachet for the up-and-coming executive, and enough room for a growing family. Though not the least expensive car in this segment, the Jetta offers four-star accomodations in a three-star world. Drivers wanted, indeed.

5) Ford Focus
The Ford Focus has a markedly different character than most Ford products sold in the US and Canada. That's because it was developed by Ford of Europe -- that's right, this is an honest-to-goodness European car. The tall cabin, upright driving position, roomy interior and trunk and smile-generating driving experience all come courtesy of the Focus' old-world roots, but with the humble Ford badge on the boot -- er, trunk -- you aren't paying for a fancy European name.

6) Honda CR-V
The CR-V is the thinking person's SUV. It's built on a car platform, so it offers a car-like ride and car-like handling, yet passenger and cargo room are superior to most similarly-sized SUVs. Best of all, the CR-V's light-weight construction means it can make do with a fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine, and still have enough power for merging onto the freeway with confidence.

7) Subaru Outback
I hesitate to call the Outback an SUV alternative, because it's far more competent than most SUVs both on road and off, plus it gets great fuel economy and offers plenty of load space. For women who drive where the weather gets nasty, a Subaru is the closest thing to a guarantee that they'll make it to their destination safely -- even when those big clunky SUVs get stuck. And while most SUVs drive like trucks, the Outback drives like a car -- and a darn fast one at that!

8 ) Mazda MPV
Some women love their minivans; others cringe at the thought of owning one, but the fact is that the minivan is far more practical than any SUV when it comes to interior volume vs. exterior size, not to mention ease of entry, exit and loading. The MPV is a great way to make the transition, as it's the most car-like and -- dare we say it? -- enjoyable minivan to drive. The perfect "starter" van until the family grows big enough to warrant a Honda Oddysey or a Toyota Sienna.

9) Honda Civic
Civics are everywhere, and with good reason: They're economical, easy to drive, and they run like a Swiss watch. With their blue-chip resale values and impeccable build quality, Civics are good investments both short- and long-term. Innovations like a totally flat passenger floor (no center "tunnel") make the Civic comfortable and practical. Hybrid and natural-gas powered versions are perfect for the cost- and environment-conscious. Without question, this is the compact-class leader.

10) Mercedes-Benz E-class
You've worked hard -- now enjoy it! The Mercedes E-class offers more prestige of the three-pointed star. The E is ideally sized -- big enough for the family to ride comfortably (without a chorus of "Mom, he hit me!" "But she hit me first!" from the back seat), but small enough for easy parking and urban handling. The E320CDI features a strong, quiet turbodiesel engine that delivers eight-cylinder power with four-cylinder economy. The E is the practical way to treat yourself right.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll just have to quietly hope any of my non and anti-Scion buddies find this.

Whatever. I love my car, it's fun to drive, and it gets me bonus points with the 'chicks'. Plus, it's good on gas (though I'm not sure about this last tank...).
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife likes Mini-Vans.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girlfriend thinks my car is cute. I tell her it matches the driver.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

"Tip: The automatic is zippy in town but the stick-shift is a better choice for highway driving."

Huh?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Funny,my wife just bought a new xA.We are now a two Scion family
Old 04-30-2006, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member

Funny you should mention this...we bought the xA for her, since my old (1962) Ranchero is still running strong, and looks better than ever with the new paint job and interior. However, I've found myself jockeying for position to use the xA more and more, to the point we may look into getting a 2nd xA or maybe an xB, especially since gas is now around $3.40 a gallon around here. Unfortunately the Ranchero only gets 21-22 mpg tops, and handles like you'd expect a 1962 car to handle...still, it looks cool and there aren't many around!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went from #1 to number #4.

... still in the list
Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but you are a girl.