Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

What don't you like about your xA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

The driver door rattles where the window buttons are.
The trunk rattles.
Not much power up a hill.
Paint chipped off right away, and is turning orange and it's only 6 months old.
Gas tank pops like it's full even though it's empty. It's taken me way too much time to fill up sometimes.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, weird, replys. i have no problems with my xA. though i had a bug before so the power difference doesnt bother me. turning isnt as good as my bug. but its still fun. driving in the rain and the snow i have no problems. not enough weight though. i was losing traction at one occasion. 70 miles an hour at 3500 rpm...... thats how the car gets its 35mpg. why complain? yeah its high rpms but its hardly using any gas at that. armrest would be VERY nice. and a free complete fabulous body kit with black cheryy paint to it :D
Old 02-15-2005, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by nds_CARnivore
Mileage blows @ 80 plus, needs 6th desperatly.

interior lighting needs help, I put in the $8.00 Autozone lights.... much better.

80 MPH is illegal most everywhere I know of.... Why the rush? Slow it down and you'll get great mileage... I try to never get my baby above 60... even on 200+ mile trips... just kick back, take it easy, and listen to the tunes man....
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA RS 0240
Originally Posted by nds_CARnivore
Mileage blows @ 80 plus, needs 6th desperatly.

interior lighting needs help, I put in the $8.00 Autozone lights.... much better.

80 MPH is illegal most everywhere I know of.... Why the rush? Slow it down and you'll get great mileage... I try to never get my baby above 60... even on 200+ mile trips... just kick back, take it easy, and listen to the tunes man....
I know, right.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PandaIst
no factory cruise control
Amen! I-95 is a little too long to have to actually keep my foot on the pedal all the way.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by time2design
Originally Posted by waynephinney
What RPM's does it run at when going 70-75 instead of the 85-90 all you are talking about?

My Tercel runs 4,000 at 75 because of it only being a 4 speed.
And apparently so does the xA even in the fifth gear. When I test drove one and took it on the highway, I instinctively wanted to upshift from fifth gear twice. Heh. It feels like it's working a bit too hard up there but I'll be mostly driving it in the city.

I've noticed a lot of Japanese makes tend to have this issue. My old Honda CR-V (2000) roared at cruising speed. There's something about the way they make these smaller engines that results in a lot more revving than one would expect on the highway.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by time2design
What RPM's does it run at when going 70-75 instead of the 85-90 all you are talking about?

My Tercel runs 4,000 at 75 because of it only being a 4 speed.
And apparently so does the xA even in the fifth gear. When I test drove one and took it on the highway, I instinctively wanted to upshift from fifth gear twice. Heh. It feels like it's working a bit too hard up there but I'll be mostly driving it in the city.
Damn... that's one of the major reasons that I want a 5 speed.

I'll have to keep thinking. I really like a lot of what the xA has to offer, but I'm gonna keep looking around to see if I can find something in my price range that's a little better. My biggest gripe? The speedometer being IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DASH!!! IT DOESN'T GO THERE!!!!
Ah, but you don't have to worry about the steering wheel blocking your view of the dash, do you? I've decided I like this arrangement, better than the old-school setup.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

O.K., here goes.. I've had my 2005 for a little over two weeks now & I absolutley love it. I sold my totally impractical (10 mpg) 13 second 67 vw bug to buy one. My wish is that TRD would offer a supercharger or turbo for it, but I guess I'll have to buy the Blitz instead. The "whine" I have is that the rear wiper won't "stand off" in order to make cleaning the back glass easier. Other than that, I just hate the constant worrying of someone putting a ding in my new baby!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I could change anything with the snap of my fingers I'd have a 6th gear, armrest, and cupholders for all three rear passengers intergrated into that armrest somehow... (Gues this is the only thing I miss from my Echo...)

However I can't just snap my fingers and have all this so I am happy with the car the way it is...

However the armrest thing might just be posible!

:D
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member

most toyota horns are wimpy...unfortunatly
Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member

My pet peeve with my xA is that you can't fold down the rear seats without removing the headrests if the front seats are all the way back
Old 02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just pull the front seat recline lever in order to alllow the rear seats to fold all the way down, then put the front seat backs to where they were... The rear headrest are somewhat Extra Large!

I think I saw a thread somewhere that sowed a smaller headrest being used for the other 2005 xA models that came after the production of the RS 1.

P.S.
One more thing I just noticed that I don't like...

The washer fluid won't spray when it is very cold in the morning. I don't know if it is the fluid that I used or if there is a problem. I'll go search for a thread about this now...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My '05 has the smaller rear headrests, so I can drop the backseats without moving the front seats or removing the headrests. Also, I park in my garage so my car has never gotten so cold that the washers didn't work. Maybe a different fluid might help. I've seen some that are supposed to resist freezing better than others.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Huge freakin' rear headrests...they are too big..haha
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my rear seats folded down fine on my 05 with the headrests in, but i took them out anyway because I was getting too annoyed with them blocking my view checking my close blind spots trying to change lanes: people in CT drive like maniacs, and you gotta force your way into a lane most of the time during rush hour

ive had the wiper fluid problem too, passenger side sprayed fine but driver's side (you know, the important side) wouldn't go. I blamed it on the **** stuff the dealer put in my car when i bought the car in Dec, flushed most of the old stuff out and put some -20deg wiper fluid in, running the fluid for a bit after that seemed to mix up the old and new stuff nicely and pushed out the freeze, havent have a problem after that.

i agree there's a bit too much road noise on the highway, but like someone said if you just turn up the radio it's no problem heh

otherwise love it, i dont know why someone complained about needing lumbar support, maybe the 04 didnt have it but there's definitely a noticable lumbar support in the 05 seating. gets up to speed just fine getting on the highway (manual, cant say for auto), and have had no problem in snow or rain (non-RS, too, so no stability/traction control in my baby). In fact, I seemed to have a much better time of driving in these Northeastern blizzards than a LOT of other people were out on the roads.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I keep my two side rear headrests in plastic bags under the front seats. The center rear headrest will never be needed but is stored with the spare tire. I really do not expect to use any of the rear headrests but thought the police might be curious some day.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

my only complaints are that it's a bit noisy and bumpy ride. Also the interior light doesn't come on automatically when you open the door , other than thats it's the best car ever!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Something is wrong with your car if the lights dont come on automaticly with the switch set to door.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member

oooh- you can set the switch to door? LOL I guess I'll have to try that.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by scionic_girl
oooh- you can set the switch to door? LOL I guess I'll have to try that.
Yeah...most dome lights are like that...there's Off, On, and Door for the front and the rear light. Yours are probably just on Off (I think that's the middle switch)

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your xA?