Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]
View Poll Results: Max Miles/Gal you've seen? xA ONLY PLEASE!
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

What's the max miles/gal you've seen on your xA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What's the max miles/gal you've seen on your xA?

If you've done over say 34, could you also comment if you have,

1. base xA or RS 1.0 xA?

2. larger aftermarket wheels

or anything else that might be relevant like how many miles are on the engine...

I'm almost convinced that Scion has screwed us and has done misleading advertizing of the xA.

Mine is listed as 32 city, 38 highway, but my max on the highway is 32.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I voted 38 just because the best I have gotten was just over 42 mpg. My median mpg is around 34-35.

edited to say:

Base scion, no add ons but the floor mats. :D
Old 10-31-2004, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just realized that it didn't include "38+" as the last vote selection...

Bastar... uh, that's great that you get such wonderful milage. ; )
(yes I'm jealous..)
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First 204 miles 35.5. Mixed.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LeeD

(yes I'm jealous..)
I am very aware of my gas milege. I take my time accelerating from a stop. I coast most of the way down my street when I come home.

These are just a couple suggestions that I try to keep in mind when I drive.

Oh and I check the tire pressure whenever I fill up.

When I got 42 I was trying to see what kind of gas milege I could get. I drove 5 miles below the speed limit, and when no one was behind me I would coast for a bit.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Black Cherry xA

(yes I'm jealous..)
I am very aware of my gas milege. I take my time accelerating from a stop. I coast most of the way down my street when I come home.

When I got 42 I was trying to see what kind of gas milege I could get. I drove 5 miles below the speed limit, and when no one was behind me I would coast for a bit.
No fair! You cheated! ; )

I got 32, all highway at 55, when actually going out of my way, just to see what the absolute high milage I could sqeeze out of this car. Tire pressure was 50psi on an RS 1.0.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

No fair! You cheated! ; )

I got 32, all highway at 55, when actually going out of my way, just to see what the absolute high milage I could sqeeze out of this car. Tire pressure was 50psi on an RS 1.0.
Just so non-RS1.0 owners don't try to pump 50psi into their stockies, the RS1.0 xA has 17" Enkei wheels...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been getting 36-40 without even trying. And so far that's been on regular unleaded (86 octane). I am now burning a tank of premium (91 octane) to see how high I can go.

When I drive highways at 65-75 MPH, I get at least 36 MPG, sometimes 37.

When I drive mountain roads at 35-55, I get 39-40 MPG.

My xA is totally stock except for window tint. I have the auto trans.

I should add that I live at 9,000 feet elevation and drive anywhere between 4,000 and 9,000 feet, though usually 7,000 feet and higher. Not sure whether the thin air helps, but I have been very happy with my MPG.

I willl update you all when I reach the end of my current 91-octane tank. I'm hoping for 45!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What's the max milage you've seen on your xA?

I'm almost convinced that Scion has screwed us and has done misleading advertizing of the xA.
i would agree with you IF (and only if) scion were the ones doing the testing to get the advertized mileage. but the posted mpg come from a 3rd party who tests all the cars across the board... so it is more of a reference point to compare vehicles than a actual point of advertisement.... though we (yes, i am included) use this info to make a buying decision in hopes of achieving the posted milage. Sometimes you get it, and sometimes you don't... and rarely, you get BETTER than posted.

I was hoping to get 40 mpg w/ this car... and i still may -- this engine is very fresh (only 1200 miles on it!) Plus with tires/wheels different than tests... you never know how much that will impact fuel efficiency.

Thanks for running this poll... i will be interested to see how it comes out. I just hope you don't get to worked up on this "Scion lied to us" kick... remember... they are the ones who have made it possible for you to smile every time you open your garage door.

peace.
~jonathan
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I bought my xA, the salesman warned me to heed the owner's manual, which says to vary your speed for the first 1,000 miles. It says not to drive at any one speed, fast or slow, for any length of time.

I thought this break-in period for new cars was a thing of the past, but the salesman said no. He said if you don't break the engine in this way, it will mess up your MPG for the life of the car.

Anyone else ever heard this? Is it true or BS? Did any of you who are getting lower MPG than you expected neglect to break in the engine? Just wondering.

I varied my speed quite a bit for the first 1,000 miles and am getting great MPG. Beginner's luck or proper break-in procedure?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My other car, I put well over a 100,000 miles on (the Z).

For this, I planned on keeping for just as long, or longer, and took no risks when babying this car, being a mechanical engineer, know how important it is to properly break/seat in new parts...

One other idea, that I think is negatively effecting the low milage folks is the alignment. Too much toe or caster could effect it. Too much camber I would actually think would HELP it, because you'd have less contact patch with the road, hence less rolling resistance.

Has anybody done an alignment on their cars since they got it. I heard for somebody else that some of the new cars's alignments need to get redone. That's the next thing on my list to improve my milage!
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if this would be something covered under warrenty?!? I haven't checked that out... would I feel something -- shaking or roughness -- if things were a bit out of line?

~j
Old 11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwinters78
i wonder if this would be something covered under warrenty?!? I haven't checked that out... would I feel something -- shaking or roughness -- if things were a bit out of line?

~j
Too much toe in, you probably wouldn't feel at all, but you'd get lots of tire scrub.
Too much toe out, you'd definately feel. It would make the car follow grooves in the road and make it twichy.

Too much caster, you would feel in the steering wheel. You'd feel more resistance when trying to move the steering from 12'oclock.
Little caster, You'd feel very little, or no resistance from 12'oclock. In my car, I feel this, but that's a good thing for milage. Also, I don't believe it's even adjustable in the xA.

If the alignment doesn't match, left side to right side, you'd feel the car pull to a side when you let go of the steering wheel.

If you don't feel it pull to a side, it doesn't nessisarilly(sp) mean that your alignments fine.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well... i just filled up a 1/2 tank -- it was $1.79 today, and i couldn't pass it up. After driving about 85% city and 15% hwy i got a new high for my xA RS 1.0 -- 34 mpg!! I would like to say i really took it easy, but honestly... i just drove normal with a little extra coasting here and there. C'mon engine!!! I'd love to see this keep going up... but i'd also be very hapy with 34 in the city.

should i vote again? or can i delete my previous one?
~jonathan
Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH -- and i nearly forgot:

those of you with higher mpg (well... anyone for that matter) - i'd be interested to know how many miles you have on your vehicle. Those of you getting 36+ mpg, is your engine fully broken in? those of us getting 35- mpg, is our car really just too young still? Having a 4 mpg jump in efficiency while temps are dropping has really got me curious...

~j
Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 35 is my top, 32 is my average

Boston location (sea level or up to 300 ft above max)
Highway driving 88% of the time
87 Octane (nobody in the US can sell 86 Octane, it's all 87 or above)
35 MPG early on BEFORE I bought 17-inch wheels and a set of BF Goodrich G Force Sports.
With the 17-inchers, I've been getting anything from 29 to 33 with an average of 31.

Break-in was normal
Automatic
Regular xA
I got Lojack and an remote starter and floor mats. No other mods.

I'll post again once I go back to the 15-inch wheels for the winter.*****

****I've heard that cold air (hence the number of people buying CAI) helps mileage and performance, so I expect to get 35+++ once it gets cold out.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default my xA RS gas-mileage

Best I have seen on my xA RS is 32 miles/gallon.
I have almost 2000 miles on it.
Manual.

CAI helps gas-mileage??? If that's the case, I am going to get one~!!!!
I definitely want a lot higher gas-mileage than 32.

I do 90% high way at 70+mph, so the engine is always revving at higher than 3500 rpm, more like ~4k.

Eat you later.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 35 is my top, 32 is my average

Originally Posted by sotied
Boston location (sea level or up to 300 ft above max)
87 Octane (nobody in the US can sell 86 Octane, it's all 87 or above)
Uh, the pumps I was using clearly said 86 on a little yellow sticker next to the price. Are they rounding down or just plain wrong :?:
Old 11-02-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwinters78
should i vote again? or can i delete my previous one?
~jonathan
If you can do either, go ahead. Obviously, if you can delete the previous, that'd be the best because it would sway things improperly. I have no control over the poll.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

34mpg, after filling up today :D

Quick Reply: What's the max miles/gal you've seen on your xA?