Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

WTF?! Brake Pads Are Fickle Too?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WTF?! Brake Pads Are Fickle Too?!

Ok so starting about a week, no more than a week and a half ago, my brakes started squeaking and there was a bit more pedal travel than usual. So it's time to change brake pads right? Well I had to hold it till yesterday cause I had to get paid. Then just a few days before getting paid, I started hearing a grinding sound. You know, that sound that you get when you need new pads? Like, worn pad grinding against the rotor? So I'm like whatever, I just ordered in some Endless Vito Nuevos (should be coming in by end of the week) so keep the driving light, brake earlier, and avoid togues. But today as I was driving the squealing had decreased about 87% (I kid you not) and that grinding sound is non-existant, well probably not "non" but I can't hear it over my exhaust/intake like I did before while slowing down.... WTF?? I'm gonna go take my car out again to see if I'll get the same results or if I'm back to square one, but my question is...even though this situation is going on, the fact of the matter is that my brakes were squealing and I felt/heard grinding pad/rotor and even though things are ALMOST back to normal and might stay that way...should I still cahnge pads?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thats a simple check. Just take off the tire check the pads and see if you have any damage on the rotor. If there is still meat on the pad and there i no visible damage on the rotor you are good to go, and the problem might have been a llittle bit of cristalization, from the cold hot cold hot change.

If you remove the tire and you dont have any apds left, guess what, good thing you bought those pads because your going to need them. If you do have some damage on the rotor just have it trued and resurfaced... shoudlnt be that expensive and shouldnt be that much of a problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just checked out my rotors no deep groove lines or warpage at all, the pads well....i think it's barely there to being replace me pads...sooo yeah
Old 12-07-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

i went through the same thing...at about 23000 miles...im expecting to do it again real soon seing that ive only got 800 more miles till my warranty runs out
Old 12-18-2005, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member

That noise/feeling is due to the material content in the pads.

At some points in the pads they have more "metallic" content .Which causes the noise ,grind feeling.
If they have plenty of pad left and the rotors look fine.I would not worry about them.
Toyota may or maynot warrenty the pads based on noise..Some times they do it to take of the customers though.But it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, my pads were WORN, and I mean WORN, I'd say two more days of driving and I would no longer have any pad left!! It's all because of togue though s I'm not suprised...but I got endless pads....hotness
Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

maybe your pads were worn so bad because you drive so friggin fast everywhere you go!! i like tried catching up to you on the 215n one night.....you like flew by me and i was doing about 80 and then i tried catching up not even possible!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehehe, that was you? you shouldve flashed the brights!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, i'm at 13k.. just had the brakes in the rear replaced with endless pads... oddily worn down pretty hard core. Tech didn't understand it as well, but i'm the first person to really have it.. and i mainly use the engine for braking... *shrugs*
Old 12-24-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

lol!! you know you would have been like whta the h is this girl flashing her lights for!! besides you were so fast you prolly wouldnt have noticed anyway!! ;)