2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

xA Automatic -> Manual Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
Make sure you get good work and go for the cheapest. I will see if i can find anything around here. Couldn't you also pull the tranny from an echo? there are more of those around then a scion.
I would really appreciate your help. I'm glad that someone is taking me seriously.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xA Automatic -> Manual Tranny Swap

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
Does anyone have a Manual xA?

Do you want an Automatic?

I am willing to swap transmissions with anyone that has a Manual.

And we can split the cost of what it would take to install.

If someone is willing to do this, please let me know........
Ummm, why not just swap cars?
Old 11-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

So do you think the echo tranny would work with the xA? That would be your cheapest route if possible. Why not just build up your engine first, that might be cheaper, and then take that to a track for now.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I believe the Echo has different gear ratios, so if you do it, it wont have the peppiness (if thats a word) the normal xA's have.

Jason, It's probably cheaper and easier to take all the stuff off the car (luckly they are all bolts on and not perminate installs) and trade it in for a 5 spd. Then reinstall all the stuff back on the 5 spd. Im sure verone could work something out, plus a 5 spd is cheaper than a AT, you may just break even!

If you need help converting it back to stock let me know.

Its giong to cost you well over a grand or 2 to do the swap, especially for the 5spd to AT conversion.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DenZinz
I believe the Echo has different gear ratios, so if you do it, it wont have the peppiness (if thats a word) the normal xA's have.
The transmission ratios are the same, but the final drive ratios are different. Toyota didn't spend a nickel that they didn't have to!

Now, the Scion final drive ratios are different for the auto and manual, with the auto being taller than the manual. There is some opportunity here for swapping if you want taller manual gears or shorter auto gears.

George
Old 11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
Why not just build up your engine first, that might be cheaper, and then take that to a track for now.
What else can I add to the power of the xA?

I have the AEM CAI, and the Dual Exhaust. There is also talk of a sport tranny for the xA. I have also been told about a company called Level 10, which adds parts to automatics to make the more powerful.

Any thoughts?

Jason, It's probably cheaper and easier to take all the stuff off the car (luckly they are all bolts on and not perminate installs) and trade it in for a 5 spd. Then reinstall all the stuff back on the 5 spd. Im sure verone could work something out, plus a 5 spd is cheaper than a AT, you may just break even!

Its giong to cost you well over a grand or 2 to do the swap, especially for the 5spd to AT conversion.
Thanks, but remember I have the dual exhaust. I won't give that up. I don't mind spending a few grand on the swap, I should be able to afford it by the end of Feb.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

If you've got a few grand I'm sure someone could piece together a turbo kit for you and then you'll be the first one with that. People are having trouble with just nitrous so if you could pull that off, then you would definately have one amazing machine.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
Originally Posted by showpaojoe
Why not just build up your engine first, that might be cheaper, and then take that to a track for now.
What else can I add to the power of the xA?

I have the AEM CAI, and the Dual Exhaust. There is also talk of a sport tranny for the xA. I have also been told about a company called Level 10, which adds parts to automatics to make the more powerful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, but remember I have the dual exhaust. I won't give that up. I don't mind spending a few grand on the swap, I should be able to afford it by the end of Feb.

We should be able to unbolt the exhaust and bolt it on the new car...

Anyways... Ntrous would be give you the most bang for your buck, but then it goes back to the tranny issue again. I have no clue how it would handle it.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to keep it. I'll just add to it.

I'll build up the engine, and swap the tranny later.........

So do you guys have any ideas how to increase the power? :?
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

Chesire,

Trade in your car with me buddy.

Verone
Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member

If you are going to swap the tranny; have you considered a matrix tranny.
I don't know if it will fit, but if it does you'll be shifting six. either way it'll cost a butt load to do it :mrgreen:
Old 12-14-2003, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could find out if that would work, it sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for helping me with my decision. :D
Old 12-14-2003, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joedjin
If you are going to swap the tranny; have you considered a matrix tranny.
I don't know if it will fit, but if it does you'll be shifting six. either way it'll cost a butt load to do it :mrgreen:
are you talking about the base, xr or xrs?

the base and xr matrix uses the same tranny found in the corolla, celica gt and mr2. i believe it is the c-52.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here's my take on the Auto/Manual swap idea....

I'm new here, just bought a XA 2 weeks ago.... It's an auto too but I planned it that way!

If you really-REALLY want a manual trans, you will need some patience and a lot of mechanical skill....

The patience part comes from cruising the wrecking yards looking for a XA with a manual trans that got smacked hard enough to total it but didn't damage the trans (look for a rear-ender). Buy the entire car and take it home.

The mechanical skill part comes in when you swap everything from the manual car to your automatic car. A factory tech manual will come in VERY handy for this evolution.

Good luck if you tackle this project, it's bigger than you think.

How to get more power from a SCION???

The commercialy made headers I have seen are NO BETTER than the stock header-which is pretty good for a factory header. Defiantely not worth the $$ they want for them. I could design and build a header (that's what I do for fun) that would add about 15hp and 15lbft of torque but it would cost about $500 (uncoated) for just the header and then you would need a custom exhaust with good muffler and high flow cat to make it work, so close to $1100 total (coated). $73 per HP is not a good deal unless you are working on a sport bike!! Toyota would probably void your warranty when they saw it.

The Toyota claims their TRD muffler add 2 hp, sad I'd say! I don't know how much an intake system would add... maybe a couple.

No cams available, no aftermarket ECUs yet, no larger throttle bodies, no custom intake manifolds. Sometimes the leading edge of fashion sucks!!!

ken