Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

xA Engine noise

Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Default xA Engine noise

Hey everyone, new here and looking for some info. My engine has done this since I bought it a month ago. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now it's starting to worry me.
I can only make the noise while driving, and its a decently loud ticking noise. It only happens under light acceleration at 3-3500 RPMs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you have to do to hear it? Are you hearing it while just driving down the road with the windows up? The classic ticking noise of our engines, or most engines now-a-days is the injectors dumping fuel. That is normal. It's a pretty fast ticking noise. The reason I ask about windows up is because normally the injectors are that loud that you can hear them inside the car. Maybe they need a cleaning or something because I know they tick louder as time goes on. Also, another classic ticking noise that would make more sense for you because it is louder is your valve train. Also, since you said you just bought this xA, you don't know what was happening with the oil prior. Make sure the correct weighted oil is in it. Valve train ticks over times to begin with, cam lobes get worn to sheet, cam rides get worn to sheet, valve guides get worn to sheet, valve springs lose their life, and then nothing is running straight anymore causing a tick. Not a huge deal if you don't beat on your car, you'll get plenty more life out of it, but if you know heads, you could do it yourself a couple hundered dollars, especially an xA since they are now getting older and people have parts laying around for them. Also my last idea is a belt, they tick too.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM

<p>
Originally Posted by criminaltc
What do you have to do to hear it? Are you hearing it while just driving down the road with the windows up? The classic ticking noise of our engines, or most engines now-a-days is the injectors dumping fuel. That is normal. It's a pretty fast ticking noise. The reason I ask about windows up is because normally the injectors are that loud that you can hear them inside the car. Maybe they need a cleaning or something because I know they tick louder as time goes on. Also, another classic ticking noise that would make more sense for you because it is louder is your valve train. Also, since you said you just bought this xA, you don't know what was happening with the oil prior. Make sure the correct weighted oil is in it. Valve train ticks over times to begin with, cam lobes get worn to sheet, cam rides get worn to sheet, valve guides get worn to sheet, valve springs lose their life, and then nothing is running straight anymore causing a tick. Not a huge deal if you don't beat on your car, you'll get plenty more life out of it, but if you know heads, you could do it yourself a couple hundered dollars, especially an xA since they are now getting older and people have parts laying around for them. Also my last idea is a belt, they tick too.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>i can't hear it with the windows up, but I know I had a Nissan truck make the same exact noise after I ran it low on oil. It made that noise for about 2 months, then one day it got louder and louder as my engine lost more and more power throughout the day. Eventually it ended up dying on me. We replaced the timing chain and it never ran good again. Couldn't get it over 30mph. When we got it started back up, sounded like it had rod knock. To make the noise, I'll put it in any gear but first, and get it to bout 3000 rpms and barely press the gas. And it'll go away the higher the rpms go.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that would make sense if it goes away the faster your engine is turning. The lower the RPM's, the looser you engine is running allowing more room for noise. The faster it's turning, the tighter it is, and that pertains to you having some worn head parts. I don't think it's your block, there isn't a whole lot of ticking going on in the block, that's all in the head. I don't know though what else you are looking for. Also, why are you adding <p> 's and stuff to your posts? What are you trying to do or make it look like?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 AM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems that it needs a major tune up. Spark plugs, oil change, PCV, and cleaning of the throttle.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's a major tune up? that just sounds like basic maintenance to me (a minor tune up)
Old 11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you want the dealer major tune up where they tell you they check everything and charge $500. Go for it if that makes you feel better. Do I really have to break all down jct?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i diy every thing on my car... and yes break it down for me
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol. I agree. That sounds like a basic tune-up. I've never heard of a Major tune-up. Unless you're talking about some "Major Service" Like Timing belt, Water Pump, etc. (I know our cars don't have timing belts)

Melition, how many miles does your car have? I've heard High-Mileage cars with ticking lifters.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If the ticking is only heard while driving and not when you have hood up and in park I dont think it is the engine. Sound like something in the drive train or tires, maybe a nail in the tire??
BTW, on very cold days my car makes a ticking noise on acceleration, till the engine warms up, usually only if I accelerate hard but not WOT thru the gears (I have MT)
Guess this is due to the closed loop settings on the injectors, but sounds fine withing 5 min. of driving...