Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
hmmm..correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't (300/11.9) equate out to 25.2 mpg???

how did you figure 34 mpg???
no i still had gas left in the tank when i fueled back up and no my gas light did not come on
Thank you for actually answering my original question before all the "numbers" started flying...

It seems "lalagimp" needs to read the context of the questions asked as well as the flow of the conversation before jumping in and verbally assaulting others just because the math started to intimidate her...
Look, I already read his question and answered what was going on before you even commented. I mentioned that he didn't get that mileage he expected because there was a reserve on the tank.

You were overcomplicating how simple his question was, not me.

OP wondered where his gas was... I mentioned the tank isn't empty... You start doing your own formulaic mess based on what you assumed he said his mileage was... that had nothing to do with it.

You should slow down before you start posting.
ACK already said this isn't math class. You're missing the point.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lalagimp
Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
hmmm..correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't (300/11.9) equate out to 25.2 mpg???

how did you figure 34 mpg???
no i still had gas left in the tank when i fueled back up and no my gas light did not come on
Thank you for actually answering my original question before all the "numbers" started flying...

It seems "lalagimp" needs to read the context of the questions asked as well as the flow of the conversation before jumping in and verbally assaulting others just because the math started to intimidate her...
Look, I already read his question and answered what was going on before you even commented. I mentioned that he didn't get that mileage he expected because there was a reserve on the tank.

You were overcomplicating how simple his question was, not me.

OP wondered where his gas was... I mentioned the tank isn't empty... You start doing your own formulaic mess based on what you assumed he said his mileage was... that had nothing to do with it.

You should slow down before you start posting.
ACK already said this isn't math class. You're missing the point.

although I clearly had no intended audience with you to begin with, here we are arguing a point which is in fact, pointless....

lalagimp - cease and desist , step away from the keyboard...
Old 10-15-2005, 03:38 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no need to stray away from the topic here keep it clean no fighting here all love no hate now

breath in with the love and out with the jive
Old 10-15-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're posting on a public board and not keeping it to PM's, last I checked anyone was allowed to comment.

Civility doesn't begin with telling people what to do, attempting to undermine their intelligence, or using emotes.
Nice try though.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

I also don't recommend driving all the gas out of your car...but, ya'll aren't putting gas in mine, you can do what you want!!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My experience has been that you may not get a true picture of your actual milage by calcualting based on one tank. We are dealing with such small number of gallons here that if you don't use the same pump both times you fill up the MPG you calculate may be incorrect. Try filling up and keeping track of the gallons used over the next 1000 miles or so. Try to fill up at the same pump you used the first time and do the calculation. Mine was varying from 30 to 40. After using this method I find I am averaging about 35. Based on that I should expect the engine to quit about 400 to to 425 miles into the tank. I will but gas way before. I guess the point is 11.9 is 11.9 no matter what the guage says.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i see I'm not the only mod watching this thread so please get it back on topic.........
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a low fuellight in the xA? Where?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Low fuel light = flashing gas pump symbol next to odometer.
My car has run out of fuel before. The world did not end. The sky did not fall. The car is fine. Or it's the best-running damaged car ever. Whichever you prefer.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you ran out of gas unintentionally then it was your own neglect. It's not good to do on any car and I can't see that someone would purposely go and do that. It's probably not going to give it damage the first time, but if anyone has the repeated habit of doing that it's not good on the car.

Besides... the theory you proposed was keeping gasoline in the car with you in a hatchback less than 4 feet from your body for any amount of time... The smell -should- be less then pleasant even if the container were sealed.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Y'all I just bought a new Scion Xa .During my first fill up I got 38.02 due to others driving it also .I plan to increase the mileage on this machine to at least 42mpg or , hopefully more.I believe this car can outsip a prius.(previous00' 5 spd. Honda Insight
owner).I gonna step up to the plate in the future first let me run 3 tanks.Then 1 trick then the next .Im gonna crawl but, I will b coming back here to inform u of the results.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First Fill up:
odo: 311 (got the car at 4 miles thank you)
Gas: 10.23 gal. (aprox.)
Total: 30.5 mpg (aprox.) (Automatic)

From what you have all been saying that leave me with about a 2 gal reserve (yes I was on E when I filled her) and the same milage as everybody else.

Ok, I'm going to keep track, but still it looks like I'm in line with everyone else on the board. I'm happy.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

on my 2nd tank of gas put 9.6 gallons to fill up to 2nd tank .my odometer read 365 miles .That 38.02 MPG unless my calculations r off ?I had 3 ppl ride in my Scion Xa with different driving habits .I think thats pretty good?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member

Mileage will vary depending on driving habits.

Ive gotten from 26mpg to 40mpg just by changing my driving habits(trd air filter/muffler helped some too).

AS far as running the car out of gas.Thats a bad thing,will the world come to a end no,but since fuel is what cools and lubricates the pump.Running it dry shortens its life span.

I fill up at when my light comes on which is about 340~350 miles ,it takes about 9.6 gallons to fill it up on average at that mark.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to run out of gas on my 1972 VW bug on purpose but,not now due to fuel injection .On my Honda Insight I did not even run out of gas (I was running on air or as 1 of my friends said,holy ghost gas,lol).I 'm glad u have gotten 26-40mpg on ur car .My driving habits r ,to say the least fanatical .I strive to sip gas My wife owned a 1996 Dodge grandcaravan b4 this ride I was getting 23MPG which is unheard of on that minivan .In short I called it ,"our cow",lol.Yes, I agree that mileage does depend on driving habits.I owned a 1968 mustang FB once with a lot of hp in my young years ,lol.I feel that the days of musclecars (1960's and on ) r numbered not unless there comes a new technology to inspire a new need.The days of Ford and GM once graceful r now in the twilite of there years due to change.Toyota as well as others have that power but,will they use it?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to run out of gas on my 1972 VW bug on purpose but,not now due to fuel injection .On my Honda Insight I did not even run out of gas (I was running on air or as 1 of my friends said,holy ghost gas,lol).I 'm glad u have gotten 26-40mpg on ur car .My driving habits r ,to say the least fanatical .I strive to sip gas My wife owned a 1996 Dodge grandcaravan b4 this ride I was getting 23MPG which is unheard of on that minivan .In short I called it ,"our cow",lol.Yes, I agree that mileage does depend on driving habits.I owned a 1968 mustang FB once with a lot of hp in my young years ,lol.I feel that the days of musclecars (1960's and on ) r numbered not unless there comes a new technology to inspire a new need.The days of Ford and GM once graceful r now in the twilite of there years due to change.Toyota as well as others have that power but,will they use it?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm back after my 2nd tank of gas filled up .I am kinda setback I should b filling up at 900miles on my odometer to achieve at this time 38 mpg ?Instead I'm getting 31mpg.I decide this third tank to put premium Dutch/Shell gas in it .I hope that will resolve that matter if I wanted a car that got 31mpg or,less I would of bought a Chevrolet or,Ford,lol.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wana get better gas milage.
S-L-O-W D-O-W-N (sorry, Shift got stuck)
31/38 is almost completly driving habits.
38 mph = Smooth, Flat, Empty road, driven at 45mph.
From my reading, ~31mph is normal for this car under normal driving. If you do better eather you live in flat state (I don't) or you like to drive slow (I don't).
OR you could join those nu-- people over in the matenance thread. They put some stuff in their tank that I never heard of. I think it is a bad idea because $16,000 > $30. But, I stopped talking to them. They think that my POV is just being an A.H.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default im getting better feel of the car

I hear ya Yoshi I have heard things some ppl put in cars u would think they werent talking about cars,lol.I am getting a better feeling though from my car getting from 35-38 mpg .I hope that changes a lot since I am going to add a tornado fuel saver first.I'm driving about 55 mph usually at best anyway since ,I am in no hurry.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell us how that goes.
I can't be helped, I have a lead foot.

Quick Reply: xA Fuel Gauge and other Fuel Issues