Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

xA Fuel Gauge and other Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the car is at the dealership and had some parts ordered for it. Some $340 of parts were ordered in regards to the fuel system with the 2006 model, I'm the 5th so far that has been in regarding the issue. Set off 6 codes. I'll post a more detailed post on lunch.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

The Canister went bad along with the filter sub-assembly. Set codes P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, P2419 evap codes closed and open.

Car is safe to drive and the parts should be in sometime next week to finish the job.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

Hey I think the same thing happening to me..

Brought the 06 in twice already- second time finally decided to modify the charcoal canister until the new one comes in.

They told me its happening to the o6 models. 06's are using a different canister than the 05's and there is moisture buildup.

At least there "modification" is keeping the check engine light off in the meantime.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I agree. Pretty odd that they would change it to something that kills over after xxx amount of miles. I got 15400 now and was frankly surprised that the light popped on.

At least it will be fixed.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member

haha i dont even have 500 miles on mine yet and the first time it went on was at 300! Maybe its the weather here that made it die so early?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

good for u Drew I'm glad u got a new Scion.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I calculated a half tank of premium gas at 37.5MPG .I went 220 miles on a half tank .I just times that by 2 and I got 440 miles on that tank.U c that way I dont leave my tank empty and dry?I then divide 440 by 11.9 and get my results that way.I just ordered my tornado fuel saver by the way .I look forward to installing it and sharing pics with u all.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi y'all,
I just got 440 miles on my tank using shell premium gas .I drove my car till the gas tank got to the halfway mark . 220 then times that by 2 it added up to 440.then divided 440 by 11.9 and it added up to 36.97.I then rounded that off to 37.0 MPG .By the way I have ordered my tornado fuel saver and hope to recieve it next week ?I will then take pics of the fuel guage without it and with it (hopefully that mite help). Also the installation of it.I look forward to sharing my pics with all?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just recieved my Tornado Fuel Saver

Hi,
Anybody c the state of the union ?I'm getting from my last report 34 mpg.I got 2400+ on my odometer .I think I'm going to wait on installing it til I get my Oil change at 3,000 miles .I think I will let my Toyota dealership install it and hopefully take pictures during the process of installing it.It has a warranty afterall and is warranteed on all automobiles let's c?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello people. recording gas milage isn't a complicated task. everyone drives their car different and drives it to different places. you cannot get accurate milage on a stock car because the COMPUTER that controls the timing of the fuel injection and sparks (and other devices) hasn't updated it's look up graphs for the way you drive and in what conditions.

Look at getting an average milage over a length of time. more accurate milage may be gained about a month after youve been driving. at a gas pump (ideally the same one you fill up each time) top it off and record the odometer (trip) milage. take the trip milage and divide the number of gallons you just put in. this will give the milage since you last filled up. reset your trip gague and drive again. every ime you fill up follow the same procedure and you can find the average milage your car gets.

cars today are more computer controlled than mechanically controlled.
hope this clears some thoughts up
Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Y'all I changed my mind

After getting a disappointing 34mpg this round (and my odometer reads 1600+ now I made a mistake in my last post).I have decide to install my tornado fuel saver this weekend .I will send pics and details
Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Y'all I changed my mind

After getting a disappointing 34mpg this round (and my odometer reads 1600+ now I made a mistake in my last post).I have decide to install my tornado fuel saver this weekend .I will send pics and details
Old 02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

You didn't say if that was city or highway, but either way 34 is not bad. According to the long term test in Autoweek, their Prius average was 41 even though the city epa is 60. The Prius costs twice as much as an xA - do the math - you can buy a lot of gas for the difference.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hello

Xa daddy I believe that was 35% city and 65 % highway
Old 02-10-2006, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

Default MPG adjustments

I have found that the factory ODO is not accurate. At least on my 2006 xA. I have checked it with GPS ODO, GPS TripCounter, Mile Markers and External ODO. What I found is that the actual miles are slightly more than is reported. I need to multiply the actual ODO reading by 1.04. This yealds slightly better gas milage.

BTW at around 300 mile on the car Im getting 29.68 MPG. I susspect it will get better as I move to better gas and get used to the car. (It is an Automatic)
Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Y'all I just went ahead a installed my tornado fuel saver

I couldnt wait and it was easy to install .The process took 1 phillips head screwdriver and me and in 5 minutes I got it done .Hopefully soon,I will take a trip mostly doing 50 mph on the Natchez Trace Parkway ,here in Mississippi to Nashville TN.. I hope that that mite be the litmus test for the fuel saver.I have been getting around from 31 to 35 mpg without it.I hope it at least gives me 2mpg.I'll be sending pics soon of the installation and so on .Y'all will be able to c my advantage/disavantages thru this fuel saver on my Xa .
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my tire pressure

At 3000+ miles on my odometer .I just rechecked my tire pressure yet, again. I have 30psi in the 2 fronts and 27 psi in backs .With my tornado fuel saver I'm getting 36.1 mpg doing around 432.2 on a 11.9 tank mixing of course my driving between hwy and cty.My hwy is about 65% and my cty is about 35% .I'm going to get the Toyota dealership in my town to change the oil/filter and so on.I'm also going to c if I can get them to re-align the alignment to try and get rid of as much toe in as possible .
If that doesn't work I am going to ask my friend about the other fuel saver.I'm determined to get at least 39-42 mpg out of it.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've gotten 42mpg without a fuel saver and with an extra 100lbs in the car...maybe we tailgate too much? 36psi all around might help, too.

Oh, and in case anyone wants to question the math and assume that I "made up" the 42mpg, I filled the tank, reset the odo, drove, filled the tank again, divided miles travelled by gallons used...you get the picture. Division is a pretty simple math function.

We've never averaged below 33mpg.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool sik ,I'm happy for u .
Old 03-02-2006, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FASTER345
Hey geniuses, after getting a full tank, drive with a emergency one-gallon tank in your trunk (they're available everywhere) and just go 'til your car dies. Dump that emergency gallon in, drive to a station, buy a full tank, check your odometer then add that one extra gallon to your full tank total and do the math. There's your precious ACTUAL range, mileage, fuel tank size, etc. Cheers.
No, don't do this. It's bad for the car to run out of gas.

There's a much easier way:

1. Fill up your car.
2. Reset your trip meter.
3. Drive around until you feel like filling up again-doesn't even have to be close to empty.
4. Fill up the car again.
5. Divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons you put in the car the second time.
6. Viola! Actual mileage.

In any case, you are not going to get a full 11.9 gallons. This is true for any car. There will always be a little gas at the bottom of the tank you can't get to.

Quick Reply: xA Fuel Gauge and other Fuel Issues