Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2005 xA vs. 2008 Yaris Engine Transmission Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2005 xA vs. 2008 Yaris Engine Transmission Swap questions

The problem; just threw a rod in my 2005 xA 1.5L with 143K on the ticker.
The solution; 2008 Yaris 1.5L with under 10K on its ticker...

So I've been reading up on the forum everything I can and believe that I have all the answers but just wanna make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

So here goes:

1. I should transfer all the sensors over from the xA motor onto the Yaris motor so the xA ECU can still communicate.

2. I remove all the accessories from the xA motor and let them hang in the engine bay awaiting to be remounted on the Yaris motor.

3. The xA intake and exhaust manifold must also be transferred onto the Yaris motor.

4. Question - Will a 2008 Yaris manual transmission replace my 2005 xA transmission without any modification?

5. Question - If I am able to seemlessly swap in a Yaris tranny, will I need to do anything to recalibrate the speedometer to compensate for the different gear ratio?

Now, I know the ramifications of installing a Yaris transmission instead of my xA transmission. I know that the final drive ratio will be different and cause the car to lose some "pep" off the line. I am ok with losing this "pep" in exchange for the ability travel at highway speeds and crusie at a lower RPM. (80 MPH @ 4K not fun)

Secondly, if the Yaris transmission is not a direct bolt in swap, what differential/gears do I need to get my hands on to change the "peppy" final drive ratio in my xA manual transmission? (Yaris or Echo final drive ratio diff/gear??)

Any help or advice from anyone with first hand/direct knowledge with what I am about to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jose
Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I've done a lot of custom fab swaps for myself and clients in my time, but a Yaris plant to an xA isn't one of them. If everything you have listed matches up I'd say you have a good chance for success. I think the next biggest hurdle in this particular swap will be looking at what exactly would be needed in fabrication in the engine bay for the engine and trans mounts. Most swaps usually are not direct bolt on and go.
Just curious... what's the reason for not finding a low mileage xA replacement? Like I said, I've done a number of swaps in my day, if you have a good deal of experience under your belt then I say rock on... but if you dont, just start the project knowing that there's usually a lot more work in doing a swap vs. a direct replacement motor/trans from the same model of vehicle. If/when you run into issues you dont know how to get around... I know there's plenty of people here on SL with experience in doing swaps that can help ya out, so GL with the project and keep us posted through the process... will be cool to see.

Last edited by Mouse; 09-01-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response. My reason for the Yaris motor was it has very low mileage, it was in a local bone yard, and I was under the understanding that the Yaris engine is a direct fit for an xA. I hope that's the case.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else that could chime in? Any Service Techs that ccould offer their point of view?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bueler?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They both use the same 1.5L 1NZFE. I believe the transmissions are slightly different though, not sure what is required (if anything) to swap over. Best thing is to compare the two side by side before installing.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your speedometer shouldn't be effected since it probably reads off the xA's ABS wheel speed sensors, it has nothing to do with the gears in the tranmission.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
your speedometer shouldn't be effected since it probably reads off the xA's ABS wheel speed sensors, it has nothing to do with the gears in the tranmission.

There will be a speed sensor in the transmission to signal the speedo. The ABS sensors only tell the ABS module what they're up to
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got some first hand info about the trans swap on yarisworld.com (thank you Morgan). Looks like the two transmissions are the same except for having different mounting locations for the dogbone... So, it appears as though for now I must carry on with just the motor swap. I'll be reading up on swapping tranny internals for a later date...

Thanks to everyone that chimed in. If anybody has done a differential gear swap or upgrade (LSD) here's you chance to shine with your brilliant know how and 411...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

you can also use a motor from a chevy aveo, its a 1nz toyota, just have to swap out electrics
Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
you can also use a motor from a chevy aveo, its a 1nz toyota, just have to swap out electrics
The aveo uses a 1.6L Daewoo engine
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I had already picked up a 2008 Yaris 1.5L (1NZFE) for the motor swap.

I'm halfway through with it so far.

Here's what I found to be interchangeable.

Crank Sensor
Cam Sensor
Cam Oil Control Valve
Oil Pickup Tube/Screen
Oil Pan

Had to reuse the following off the xA motor
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Water Temp Sensor
Knock Sensor
Crash Sensor
Oil Pressure Sensor

As for my transmission decision, I decided against swapping in Yaris final drive differential gear set. I'm changing the seals on the original 5spd and reusing that for now. Eventually I'll look into the 6spd swap I've been reading so much about...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by JMD83
Thanks for all the responses.
As for my transmission decision, I decided against swapping in Yaris final drive differential gear set. I'm changing the seals on the original 5spd and reusing that for now. Eventually I'll look into the 6spd swap I've been reading so much about...
where did u hear about the 6spd swap? is there a link or somethin, im super curious! i heard talk about it but never seen or read anything. not quite in my budget right now but if i decide on keepin my xA for the long haul i might invest.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i would also like to hear and read up on this 6 speed swap, oh how nice that would be.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**Update**

After bolting the motor/trans back in place I found out that I also have to reuse the crank pulley from the xA motor. Apparently the 2008 Yaris motor i bought doesn't have an inner groove on the crank pulley for the power steering belt so the xA pulley must be swapped over. Doesn't look like that big of an ordeal to tackle even with the motor installed.

More on the xA 6 speed in a bit. I must reexamine the threads that I've been studying and post what makes sense to me.

In the meantime try searching with the terms "6 speed" then filter through for xA xB threads.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default six speed (6spd, 6 speed) trans into xA or xB info I found...

Here's the list of links that I found that gave me the best info about this modification;

The most concise answer to the manual six speed swap (C160) is quoted here;
Originally Posted by bB384
Find/get a C160 from a AE111 Levin which comes with a mechanical LSD
- Remove your old bell-housing and attach it to your C160
- Notch almost 2 inches off your framerail to allow clearance for the C160 since its a longer thansmission case
- Get Corolla S axel seals

After you do what I listed, everything matches up, including your axels and clutch.
Good luck finding one, and yes this the only one you can use on a 1NZ-FE

This information is tested and is legit, since Wraith personally told me this what needs to be done, and its what he did to his car.
This quote comes from the following thread;

6 speed M trans
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...highlight=c160

The rest of these threads are what I have used to gather the knowledge base for what needs to be done and why;

C150N to C160N ??? possibilties ????

Matrix/Celica 6speed tranny in xa/xb?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ht=c160&page=2

the perfect 6th gear?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ht=c160&page=2

xb 5th gear.....

xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/xb-transmission-gear-swap-question-46386/

thinkin about a trany swap, need some help!

considering transmission swap

and scroll to the bottom of this page for Toyota C-series trans info. Manual trans xA and xB should all have the C50 from the factory. Keep this in mind while reading the threads. Most have the xA & xB manual trans incorectly listed (I think) as the C150. The factory literature may have been the one to incorectly list it as the C150, but check your door tag (?) and it should read C50.

rollaclub manual gearbox C Series ratios
http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.p...Manual_Gearbox

Stay tuned, I am trying to do math and figure out what exactly the RPM difference will be @ 80MPH if I in fact do stick a 6spd in my Lil Red car (xA)...
Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok motor swap update. MUST USE a Yaris fuel hose from the fuel rail to the firewall fuel line.

or

You can swap over xA fuel rail and injectors along with xA fuel hose between fuel rail and the firewall fuel line.

This and a trans mount are what stand between me and completion. Oh and a ball joint.

More info to follow as I come across it.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

sweet idea but finding the parts wontnt be an easy project. i think ill stick to my bolt ons and gettin a f/i set up. i just bought a used 04 5spd with 44k miles for 6k yesterday! i couldnt pass it up, this is gunna be my new project car!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This project was more of a necessity than a performance enhancement. F/I would be a nice fun project enjoy!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

thanx, but if you dont mind me askin, whats the necessity behind havin a 6th gear? i know its geared a lil high but... seems like it would be a lotta work unless there was a performance reason involved.

Quick Reply: 2005 xA vs. 2008 Yaris Engine Transmission Swap questions