Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2005 xB Crank but No Start..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Default 2005 xB Crank but No Start..

Just wanted to contribute since I refer to this forum regularly.

I recently had an all of a sudden no start one day. It would crank over but not start. My immediate thought was fuel pump. I went to Autozone and got just the pump (not the whole cartridge since it was 1200 dollars). I changed it and reinstalled. Still no start. I drained the battery trying different things including using carb spray. Nothing. Then I begin second guessing myself and went and found a wiring diagram online and I started eliminating things.

i had power at my coils, power to the fuel pump...I could feel it running and hear it. So that eliminated my ignition switch. I checked resistance on my crankshaft position sensor...around 1300 ohms. I checked the camshaft position sensor...around 1900 ohms. I checked the camshaft actuator solenoid....around 7 ohms. I checked AC volts on the the crank and cam position sensors by switching my meter to AC, putting the leads on the pins and moving a socket back and forth in front of it to see if the voltage changed. Not sure what it should be, but there was movement. I checked the ohms on my injectors as well...I think around 7 ohms. All checked and no start. I pulled all plugs and coils and grounded to case to check for spark. All good. Checked gap...all good.

i reverted back to my original thought....fuel, air, and spark. I know I had air...I know I had spark....I thought I had fuel with the new pump.

As it turns out, i did NOT have fuel. The fuel pump was full of air and not moving fuel. I disconnected the firewall line and bumped the key. I got fuel to the front. Reconnected everything..........still no start. I added carb spray again. No help. I sat in the car and the fuel pump sounded different...not full of air....I knew it had fuel in it now. I unplugged the connector on the fuel pump as I was starting it and it fired up! I connected the fuel pump back and it died....ugh! I put more carb spray in and left the connector off of the fuel pump. When it started with the spray the second time, i pumped the gas pedal and it stayed going....i plugged the pump back in and had to pump the gas a couple times and it stayed running.

Looks like I had air in the fuel line. It is running good now.

I just wanted to document my experience to hopefully help someone else.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-13-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator