Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 xA Intermittent Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Default 2006 xA Intermittent Blower Motor

Yes, I realize there are older threads about this, but here's my experience with my wife's intermittent blower motor.

Based on here and internet videos, I ordered the inexpensive resistor. But, I tried every sort of contortion and mirror and light, and could not see it. Yeah, it's up there behind the glove box, near the firewall, someplace, but it seems pretty obvious the a "guy designed that placement", as my wife would say.

Out of frustration, I removed the glove box door, and pulled out the in-cabin air filter. It appeared it has not been replaced since the factory assembly line, and mouse/mice had a nice nest there. So I got a new filter, figuring maybe a bit of that mouse nest was keeping the blower blade from moving.

But, about every 20th test, the blower does not work, still.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-06-2021 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 07-06-2021, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wouldn't be the first time a mouse chewed on wire(s). Visually inspect the wire harness for breaks in insulation. Another possibility, a component has eclipsed its temperature range. This could be a faulty electronic component or a dirty bearing that overheats and mimics an intermittent motor.

It's also possible that mouse nest-debris is hidden from view. I know what you mean about the cramped space and lack of maneuverability. Might have to disassemble the fan assembly from the dash.

Lots of people experience mouse/car problems. Do you know any kids who install their own electronics? Maybe they've encountered this before. Might also consider asking a stereo/ car alarm installer to take a look. Sometimes people offer info for free, particularly if it doesn't affect their profits.

Last but not least, a Toyota dealership might give free estimates.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:14 PM

We normally Winter in Florida, and leave the xA and an Eclipse in the garage up North. The first Spring back after doing that, when I turned on the Eclipse blower the first time, it popped the fuse. There was a huge nest of fabric and yarn and stuff crammed in the fan cage.

We did not do that last Winter because all the ICU beds in our Florida County were full. But, we also did not drive much up North, either.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the "temperature" ambiguity. I was speaking primarily of operating temps, not ambient.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't replace perfectly working parts with brand-new perfectly working parts, nothing will change.
Need to test and measure parts to arrive at numbers and compare those numbers with standards in manual to determine if part is actually bad.
Did you measure resistance of old vs. new resistors? What are their numbers?.

Intermittent issues like this is most likely wiring. You can take a series measurements tracing flow of electricity and their numbers will tell you where issue is:

1. battery voltage = ?
2. voltage going into blower-fuse = ?
3. voltage going out of blower-fuse = ?
4. voltage going into fan-speed switch = ?
5. voltage going out of fan-speed switch at each position = ?
6. voltage going into resistor at each fan-speed switch position = ?
7. voltage going out of resistor at each fan-speed switch position = ?
8. voltage going into blower motor at each fan-speed switch position = ?

Somewhere in this chain, you'll find an incorrect number. Which points to previous component or wiring in-between as being defective.
A lot of times, it's not even wiring, but connectors at each end. A little light sanding of terminals and treating with OxGard often restores 100% functionality.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-15-2021 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We tried a lot of things when the xB got into intermittent blower mode. Turned out to be the blower motor itself. (no mice)
Took it apart (destructively) to see what had gone wrong and the best I could tell was that the commutator ring gaps had filled with carbon from the brushes.

Diagnosis - when the fan won't start running, reach in thru the cabin filter hole with a stick or something and give the fan rotor a push.
If it fires up, all the other stuff is fine and you just have to replace the motor/fan.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-15-2021 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-15-2021, 12:13 PM

thanks