Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2zz in-depth

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member

ok now i have a question after reading all of this why are you people saying the 2zz is a dog untill lift? um lets stop and think here you are talking about putting a 180hp engine into a car that come with a 108hp engine I really dont hink it is going to be a dog at lower rpms in this car at all... heck my 2005 5spd box stock can pull a 2004 civc si all they way through 2nd gear then he passed me. and no he is not a bad driver. You just need to learn how to drive the car you have stock to really see the performance. Its not just about "flooring" it and going there is a lot more to driveing than that.....well i am off the subject now..... i really think the Swap would be the best Performance upgrade out performing both the S/C and the Turbo hands down and i am saying that with the 2zz being stock. as far as the tranys are concerned why dont you guys go to a junk yard and messaround with then to see what can fit what and as far as cutting "frames" you do what you have to do to get the power you want.if you dont want to cut some parts then you really dont want to do a swap. any who just to spike this up a bit i am and have been pondering this idea in my head for about a year when i got my first of 2 boxes and now i am really thinking about taking on the project with the help of some sponsers of mine. i hope things do go well but again i am still *thinking* about it and talking with people. nothing is planed or in stone yet. ( I am being honest here)
Old 03-04-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

It's not that it totally blows, but that you may achieve better results, more efficiently (less time and money) by using a 1ZZ motor, with some tweaks.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krugta
ok now i have a question after reading all of this why are you people saying the 2zz is a dog untill lift? um lets stop and think here you are talking about putting a 180hp engine into a car that come with a 108hp engine I really dont hink it is going to be a dog at lower rpms in this car at all... heck my 2005 5spd box stock can pull a 2004 civc si all they way through 2nd gear then he passed me. and no he is not a bad driver. You just need to learn how to drive the car you have stock to really see the performance. Its not just about "flooring" it and going there is a lot more to driveing than that.....well i am off the subject now..... i really think the Swap would be the best Performance upgrade out performing both the S/C and the Turbo hands down and i am saying that with the 2zz being stock. as far as the tranys are concerned why dont you guys go to a junk yard and messaround with then to see what can fit what and as far as cutting "frames" you do what you have to do to get the power you want.if you dont want to cut some parts then you really dont want to do a swap. any who just to spike this up a bit i am and have been pondering this idea in my head for about a year when i got my first of 2 boxes and now i am really thinking about taking on the project with the help of some sponsers of mine. i hope things do go well but again i am still *thinking* about it and talking with people. nothing is planed or in stone yet. ( I am being honest here)
yes, the 180hp 2ZZ is way more powerful than what we have now. but when comparing the 1zz to it, the 1zz is more responsive bottom end. it may be the combination of gearing, but the 2zz needs the vvti to put that power down. and that is why they say it is a "dog" until lift. but again i say that i would much rather go with the 2zz over the 1zz. much more potential in the long run. thats why you see fully built 2zz's over the 1zz.

yes, the swap is the best alternative for power in my opinion also, just have to keep in consideration the lack of engines from 2004 and newer that we can find. also, u can use the 1zz engine if you want, but i think...hey, just go all out and put the 6spd in.

good luck with the swap if you go through with it, let me know how it went.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 2ZZ-GE in a lighter body like the xA won't be a dog compared to the Celica. If the 2ZZ-GE was really that bad, you'd hear the same complaints coming from Lotus Elise owners.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLADDER_MASTER
A 2ZZ-GE in a lighter body like the xA won't be a dog compared to the Celica. If the 2ZZ-GE was really that bad, you'd hear the same complaints coming from Lotus Elise owners.
true, but the elise is around 400lbs lighter than the scions, weighing in at under 2000lbs compared to the 2400 that the xa & xb weigh
Old 03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

and Lotus tweaked the motor and tranny. It's not a regular 2ZZ
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unlmtdndeavor
true, but the elise is around 400lbs lighter than the scions, weighing in at under 2000lbs compared to the 2400 that the xa & xb weigh
Hmm, I thought the Scion's were a bit lighter than that. Learned something new.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Nothing a PowerFC can't fix. And I don't think they messed with the tranny.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unlmtdndeavor
Hmm, I thought the Scion's were a bit lighter than that. Learned something new.
yea, i weighed it at the track with me in it, a 10lb nitrous bottle, and 15's on it, 2550 i think. put your car on a diet...then put the 2zz...whooo
Old 03-04-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Nothing a PowerFC can't fix. And I don't think they messed with the tranny.
I'm almost certain it's a reworked tranny. . . but I'm not perfect, so I could be wrong.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how much is this bad boy engine?

How much cutting would I have to do again?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBsactoguy
So how much is this bad boy engine?

How much cutting would I have to do again?
2zz with tranny goes for around $3-$4k depending where you get it. cutting is still estimated as it has not been done in the scion. 2zz 6spd looks to be 4-6" of cutting
Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... all of that for 80 more hp... someone please hurry with the mod HAHA...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hehe Reviving this post..

Was wondering what engine was the 2zz from and the 1zz. Im guessing celica?

I'm thinking about the 1zz engine for a start with auto tranny, is that possible??
Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

2zz is celicas gts , lotus , corolla and matrix xrs

1zz is from corolla , mr2 , celica gt

the 1zz tranny is a bit smaller so a bit more feasible swap

the 2zz is such a high inference motor if you overrev your easily gonna need to replace bent valves and possibly pistons.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
If it can fit an echo it most def can fit an xB , where's the damned motor mount kits? People will sell tons of those.
What do you mean tons? I don't think they would sell that many.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Janus
Originally Posted by hotbox05
If it can fit an echo it most def can fit an xB , where's the damned motor mount kits? People will sell tons of those.
What do you mean tons? I don't think they would sell that many.
"ton" or "tons" is a commonly used expression in northern america, more specifically the united states. it refers to a "sh!tload" or "schload" of quantity of a said object/material.

durrrrr!!!!

and besides, you never know- they might actually sell 2000lbs worth. have you seen how many flipping threads there are on 2zz swaps? lol

-jon
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was seriously considering one, but hacking my frame all up to ____, just doesn't sound like a good idea
Old 07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see...Maybe a supercharger is the only clean way, but man would an engine like that be neat... I don't really care about the torque but yeah...