Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Add aftermarket Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 AM
LMO
5 Year Member

Default Add aftermarket Cruise Control?

Hello all. I'm a newbie. Had my Xa about a month. I really like Cruise Control and am thinking about adding one from Rostra. Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks!

LMO
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Always check out the parts section of the forum. There are usually some testimonials there on parts:

https://www.scionlife.com/parts/?sub=86
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know miniBangBus has that kit on his xB and he says he loves it..... PM him if you have any further questions..... Good Luck brodda!

-AleXb.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Add aftermarket Cruise Control?

Originally Posted by LMO
Hello all. I'm a newbie. Had my Xa about a month. I really like Cruise Control and am thinking about adding one from Rostra. Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks!

LMO
I have one with the RF control, it's great. I had it installed, I think it would be easy enough, I was just being lazy.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the Rostra Cruise Control myself. I wasn't that hard. I didn't have the RF controlled but the stalk. Overall, it works pretty good. Took me the better part of an afternoon to do it. Some of the wiring was a little hard to get to but overall, it is a well designed kit. Check the Allscion.com site about installation tips for the cruise control. Most people with common sense should be able to install it.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 PM
LMO
5 Year Member

Default Easy Install?

Was the Rostra CC installation pretty easy? Most I've done on a car is an oil change, change bulbs, etc. Do you need mechanical experience to install?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have an 06 xA with the Rostra cruise controll. It was installed by SE Toyota Distributors before being shipped to my dealer. Most of my daily commute is interstate driving at 65mph. It works great, and I'm glad I have it.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:51 PM
LMO
5 Year Member

My Toyota/Scion dealers here (Hawaii) won't install it. That's why I'm asking...
Was the Rostra CC installation pretty easy? Most I've done on a car is an oil change, change bulbs, etc. Do you need mechanical experience to install?
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMO, Not really. You can look at the instruction manual and see if you can do it. If you can install a stereo, you should be able to do it. There is no special tool that is needed. Just basic screwdrivers, sockets, and pliers (As far as I can remember - I forget things in my old age).
Old 12-24-2007, 08:46 AM

I haven't seen anyone mention anything other than the Rastra CC...

Does anyone have or know anything about any others?

Have I just happened to see posts by people with Rastra's or is this pretty much the one?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:25 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i think there was one more.... but the Rostra would be the one that dealerships along with pretty much everyone else would use and recommend anyway.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LMO
My Toyota/Scion dealers here (Hawaii) won't install it. That's why I'm asking...
Was the Rostra CC installation pretty easy? Most I've done on a car is an oil change, change bulbs, etc. Do you need mechanical experience to install?...
I am not a mechanic, but have restored motorcycles by doing all the the disassembly and assembly. I also installed foglights on my xB, which gave a taste of what installing the CC would be like. I bought the CC from Rostra, downloaded the PDF instructions, copied and pasted and printed all the tips from SL, and did a dry run of the installation.

I decided NOT to do it myself, but took it to a local experienced installer who did it with two guys in 45 minutes for $150. The reasons I did not try it myself: (1) too tall and stiff to spend the time required up under the dash, and (2) cannot turn my bifocals upside down to see connections that are 4" from my nose always looking upward under the dash.

People will tell you installing the CC is a piece of cake. My advice is to do what I did:
1. Get the info on a local installer recommended by AllScion before you buy the CC from them.
2. Check out the installer yourself -- the first one they gave me was on the BBB blacklist.
3. Read up on the installation before you buy.
4. Do a dry run after you buy, laying it all out, tracing the routings, sighting all the connection points.
5. Decide who is going to install, before you get your car messed up and can't finish it.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned
SL Member

There are some that you dont have to take apart your steering column!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

I paid a little extra for the RF version. Did the install myself and have never had a problem with it.