Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

A/C Problem..Freon Leak caused by another Hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A/C Problem..Freon Leak caused by another Hose

First off, i'm not sure i'm in the right forum..but this is the closest forum i could find to what my problem is.

So here it is:

My A/C hadn't been working lately so I tried to refill it and and found a leak. Below are pictures which will help in conveying what my problem is.

The Hose going from the condenser to the compressor has slowly chafed away a hole in one of my A/C lines as you can see in the pictures.

Now my question is have any other Xb owners experienced this problem and/or is there a cheap solution to this and obviously this is a manufacturer defect because I wasn't responsible for how the hose was laid out.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Otherwise just order a new hose assembly and make sure the new one doesn't rub on anything again. Also make sure to change out the reciever drier cause it get contaminated whenever the system is open to the atmosphere.
I'm gonna check and make sure mine isn't trying to do this. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well..i just rolled over 92k on my box....needless to say its surpassed its warranted miles...but this is clearly a design flaw as i mentioned above and shouldn't have anything to do with mileage..its just poor design.

So would it still be covered in the warranty?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'd try following up with your dealer. This truely is a flaw and should not have anything to do with warranty. Can't hurt to try and see if they will do anything for ya.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I'd try following up with your dealer. This truely is a flaw and should not have anything to do with warranty. Can't hurt to try and see if they will do anything for ya.
Yea..well first off I tried replacing the black hose you see..its the condenser to the compressor hose because thats what Jiffy lube told me when they were diagnosing the problem for me. So once i replaced it..i found the real leak and after looking at it from under the car I saw where the leak was. And that hose you see looks like _____ to replace has its a SINGLE aluminum hard line all the way from the other side of the condenser to all the way inside the car...and its a single line without any breaks to replace.

But here's another kicker..the ac in my car stopped working early last year..and i'm sure this was the same problem. And when i took it in to be looked at the _______ technician lied to me and told me that it was a stone chip in the line and it wasn't covered in the warranty so I took his word for it and continued on with it because I really NEVER use the A/C. I could possibly count one one hand the number of times I've turned the A/C on and it was for other people....like girls or whatever. But none the less... a BIG F**K YOU to Toyota for lying to me in the first place.

I seriously wanna argue with the local dealer about this but I know better not to let their hands touch my car because thats just asking for more trouble down the road. So I'm gonna try to get it welded shut if its possible if not then someone else is doing the work and Toyota is paying for this.

A big F***KING thumbs down to Toyota for not only a design flaw but for lying to me in the first place.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Atleast you have documented paper that there was a problem before the warranty was over. First I'd get documented proof from a certified A/C shop explaining in detail what happened with the line chaffing thru. Document it with the pics and see what happens. They may step up and correct this injustice. Explain that it was mis diagnosed originally and see what happens. Just avoid dealing with the guilty dealership during this process. Good luck!