Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cluster Lights Flashing Key Beep double

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Cluster Lights Flashing Key Beep double

Hello, I know this has been covered before, heck I have read many of the older posts, yet none seem to exactly fit my scenario, so a little guidance would be appreciated.

I own a 2004 Scion xB, manual, original owner, it has 38K miles.
Since new it has been my show car, among the many extreme modifications, it had a custom build dash which contained a custom gauge cluster from Dakota digital.
Fast forward to today and I am restoring it for daily use. I sourced a donor xB to swap the entire interior, dash included. That is now complete. I did however, screw up, a detail missed. The cluster that is in the car currently is from an automatic, as I mentioned before my car is manual. At first I thought is was funny that when I shifted into reverse the R would light up. I had just planned to get a custom gauge face and cover up my shame.
However, now when I insert my key into the ignition, instead of getting the one beep at a time telling me the key is inserted, I get two beep in succession then a pause, rinse and repeat.
Furthermore the entire dash cluster flashes, this includes, the ODO and clock and all the dummy lights. In addition the actual gauges do not work. At first I thought it was a weak battery as it would go away after a while. Well a new battery and a battery mender later, the problem persists.
Next I went the route of replacing the ECU, because my mechanic was also getting wonky readings from the OBD port. Install that programmed it to the specs of the shop that sold it to me and nothing has changed. The vehicle has multiple grounding points so it is not that, I don't think.
Could it be the gauge cluster itself? Anyone know if indeed one should not run an automatic cluster in a manual car? Yeah I know, after all the details work I did to restore this bad boy, I get hung p on a the dumbest mistake I could make.

On a separate note, the a/c is not blowing cold, I had it checked for leaks, None. I had the gas changed, I was told the compressor is not engaging, yet I can see the rpm's drop when i engage the a/c button. Sounds like a compressor problem, but it has never been used as the a/c was never connected during its modified stages. I had read/heard that these compressors are not driven by your typical clutch, so I am hoping all this is related to this cluster.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've installed an automatic cluster into a manual xB (for whatever reason) and it didn't work out.

Problem was something about the wire harness being different........brake pedal switch, Park/Neutral/clutch safety switches. Tried different harness pieces, still no good. Had to install cluster from a manual car.

Didn't have the beep, beep sound with either cluster.......maybe your beep beep problem is related to the driver's door pin switch in some way. Does the dome light stay on all the time unless the lever on the light housing is in the OFF position?

As for the A/C not blowing cold, there are many reasons for this. I'll skip past the obvious stuff and suggest performing a continuity test on the a/c compressor clutch coil.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Wish I had an answer for the door pin switch problem, with the custom roof, that was removed. Once I close the door though it goes away. This is just the beep for the reminder that I left the key in the ignition. For a time, the cluster did work, albeit, I do not drive it much so the times where it worked I considered it a win and just a dumbass oversight. Regardless, I am going to source a cluster and then hope this mess straightens itself out.

Otherwise the truck runs and drives as it should, this blinking cluster is maddening, because I went out of my way not to alter the electrical system in order to avoid these very same issues. You're right though, once the cluster problem is resolved, I will systematically attack the a/c problem.