Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Greddy turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy turbo

Does anyone noe the size of the greddy turbo in the xb kit? 1.5 liters is really small to spool anythin up thats my opinion......im saving for a power enterprise supercharger kit but wondering on "the competition"....

If anyone looking for good price on the PE Supercharger pm.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it is small. go ask some honda guys. cuz alot of honda guys are turboing d15 with big ___ gains so...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
it is small. go ask some honda guys. cuz alot of honda guys are turboing d15 with big ___ gains so...
where are you getting your information from?? sure alot of honda guys are getting big gains but did you know the connecting rod for the xa/xb is no thicker than your ring finger?? i've ran a boosted d16 up to 9 lbs reliably (knowing through experience and through original construction of the block)... the recommend boost level for xa/xb is about 6lbs because of reliablity issues.

btw, a d15 has a higher survivability rate than the 1nz shot for shot from a 50shot nitrous system...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

isn't the turbo a T25 cage? or T20... ?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Greddy uses this:
Greddy/Trust TE035HL Turbo with built in wastegate

I copied and pasted it from this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35617
Old 11-23-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flat__tires
where are you getting your information from?? sure alot of honda guys are getting big gains but did you know the connecting rod for the xa/xb is no thicker than your ring finger?? i've ran a boosted d16 up to 9 lbs reliably (knowing through experience and through original construction of the block)... the recommend boost level for xa/xb is about 6lbs because of reliablity issues.

btw, a d15 has a higher survivability rate than the 1nz shot for shot from a 50shot nitrous system...
And you get your information from where?

I speak from experience, I boost 8lbs daily in my xB. I run 93 octane, and stock heat range Denso Iridiums. I have no knock, and it runs like you couldn't imagine.

Although, the countless hours I've spent perfecting it are racking up are getting pretty high, the car is reliable.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Honda engines are very stout and I know from experience that they can take TONS of abuse. Now I am new to Scions, but not new to Toyotas. Toyota engines can take tons of abuse as well. 90% of reliability comes down to proper or improper tuning. That one factor is what will keep your car running or leave you sitting with a blown motor. I'm not starting a flame contest here, but I think that if the tuning is right then running a turbo at 7 to 8 psi should be just fine.

Now about the turbo size, it would need to be fairly small. But there are ways around lag. HKS GT series technology and BB center sections help A LOT. Just my .02 though.

Zach
Old 11-24-2004, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdaniels
Originally Posted by flat__tires

And you get your information from where?

I speak from experience, I boost 8lbs daily in my xB. I run 93 octane, and stock heat range Denso Iridiums. I have no knock, and it runs like you couldn't imagine.

Although, the countless hours I've spent perfecting it are racking up are getting pretty high, the car is reliable.
I wouldn't doubt you know what you're doing... running 8lbs on 93 octane is definitely preferable than running 87 octane... i wouldn't doubt that the stock denso are holding out as well for running 8lbs on what i assume are stock internals,fuel pumps, injectors and using the stock timing and a stock ecu right? ... but have you seen the internals of a d15 motor and placed next to a 1nz motor internals? and hows about compression ratios?? a d15b has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 and the 1nz has a 10.5:1 ratio sure you could boost both motors but which is more preferable? i've ran boosted motors before... but i've been running hondas even longer... i got a scion hoping to apply what i knew to other cars... seeing as how i couldn't wait for the honda fit to come around... i thought having a scion do 12sec 1320s would make me ecstatic...
Old 11-24-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok one thing and only 1 more thing for me to say. the connecting rod on almost any and all engines is larger than almost anyones ring finger.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well thanks for the info guys.... yeah i know the whole honda engine reliable n stufff...been there done that....now its time for us to mess around with scions so it can too get good reputation as ie hondas..
Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by taej
Well thanks for the info guys.... yeah i know the whole honda engine reliable n stufff...been there done that....now its time for us to mess around with scions so it can too get good reputation as ie hondas..
well said... and box05... i said thicker not larger...

"to some, its not about size... but girth"
Old 11-24-2004, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Has anyone looked into the HKS GT series turbines yet? A GT25 or GT28 should work really well. They are fairly expensive, but in this case you ARE getting what you pay for.

Off topic but, taej, do you have tickets to the JGTC event the 18th and 19th of Dec?? My wife and I will be down there. Maybe we can meet up.

Zach
Old 11-24-2004, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think this can really be a useful thread.

Does anyone have the specs of the rods? Also, I assume the pistons are cast, can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I think that this thread will be very beneficial once we get more solid specs in it. I'm looking over compressor maps that would work for this engine. Can anyone get me solid numbers on what kind of cfm this engine puts out exhaust wise??

Zach
Old 11-27-2004, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's funny how people talk about how reliable Honda motors are compared to Toyota in relation to forced induction.. How many stock Honda motors came turbocharged? None unless you like to Jetski

I've also seen stock V6 Nissans that use a 100 shot regularly and reliably. Enough said.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah these things are definately not built like hondas. but thats ok.

most of you realize when you bought a scion that you werent going to make gobs of horsepower..so dont be upset when its tough to get much power out of them.

greddy has their turbo kit available for the xb and its pretty nice. and nicely priced as well. eventhough it runs a pretty conservative ~4lbs of boost it still gives the little 1.5L a nice kick in the pants compared to stock.

they do, however, require a bit of tuning.

if anyones interested in some more information or pics or anything feel free to shoot me an email. we have one of these systems on one of our shop vehicles and its not bad.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

4lbs of boost? thats weak ___. hmm. i guess ya just gotta up that some huh? hmm... i guess greddy is not in my future
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah well 4lbs might be a bit weak...but so are the factory internals of your engine

Also keep in mind, this kit is mainly designed to keep factory reliability and driveability. It's not going to be a monster. Just a nice little addition for that enthusiast who needs a bit more pick-me up without having to worry about whether or not hes going to grenade his engine.

-k