Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

interchangable parts?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default interchangable parts?????

man the more i think about it the more i would like to dig deep into the 1nz-fe and see what this baby is capable of. i do have questions concerning this engine and other toyota engines. **please i am serious about building up this engine so only people with experience/knowledge reply**

can you interchange parts from the scion engine with others i.e. mr2, vitz, celica (like you can with the "B" series honda engines)? heads, tb, cams, pistons, etc.

my thought on this (bare with me i have searched this topic in this forum and others but have not been sucessfull) is that if you can bore the stock block say to 1.8L, change internals, lighten here and there, port and polish head and this engine may be able to produce some good numbers.

so, if anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

when i can sell my b18b and my b16a2 motors sittin here im gonna try and find me a bare block to bore to 1.6 with low compression pistons.....then boost....
Old 03-07-2004, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i found a complete engine for $400 with 3000 miles on it. if i can get the info i need i will go ahead and buy it. werd not having my xb yet and already planning on a extra engine for it. but any info guys would be great.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I drove my friend's celica gts earlier tonight.... If anything, I'm gonna plop a 2zz in my xA... =P It's all about the Lift...
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ok i take it there are no interchangeable parts? so how much hp would i achieve with a port and polish, high compression pistons, springs, cams? also where can you get the ecu remapped for the xb?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

your very best engines that maintain reliability can get in the neighborhood of around 100+ horsepower per liter. You usaully have to have a over square enginer to do this (the pistons are large, and the stroke is short) but you lose torque with this type of setup. Plus a shop that can do a good job porting , and polishing the cylinder heads is not going to be cheap, plus to open an engine up is very labor intensive. your best bet would be a low boost turbo or super charger. around 7psi will get you like around 50% more crankshaft horsepower.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am able to do most of the work myself. i figure get the head work done first, ship it where ever i need to b/c i dont trust anyone from my area or myself. then get pistons, rods etc. i think the stock crank will be able to handle the hp. what do you guys think. as i said earlier i know nothing about toyota engines but i can perform most of my own engine work b/c i have found a spare engine. my problem is that i can't find a good example to go by in order to get good n/a hp from the 1nz engine. there just doesn't seem like anyone is interested in building this engine for power. i admitt it is a bit weak but why throw away a brand new engine to do a engine swap. turbo would be the way i would go if someone would come out with one and it have higher hp/trq gains.

help me out guys
bryan
Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To my knowlege there is no one that has built a true high performance 1nz-fe engine here in the states so there is no example to go by. A true high performance head porting will cost several thousand dollars because it has not been done and initial development costs big $$ due to the time involved. A simple port clean up will cost several hundred $$ at a decent shop, if you can find one.

Very little performance development has been done to this engine and the aftermarket intakes and headers quite frankly suck. $150 for an intake that gives maybe a 3hp gain? $200-$250 for a header that gives 5hp? The aftermarket has missed the mark big-time for this engine!!

I think 125-130hp is possible with out taking the engine apart (it won't pass smog if a visual insp. is required). This would require an intake that works, a really good header, a slightly larger throttle body, an air/fuel calibrator for the MAF and maybe some slightly larger injectors. NONE of this has been developed yet....

To get to 150hp N/A it would take a custom intake, more compression, serious head porting development and cams. Again, none of this has been developed yet....

Turbos? Not available yet, several are in the works but not released yet.

Supercharger? Not yet but I hear it will be soon. There are a few in use now but not available to the general public.

ken
Old 03-09-2004, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so do you think i could get some low compression pistons, build up the internals and get someone to custom fab. me a turbo kit for under $4000 + internals? can i retain the stock crank? how much would you think the stock crank can handle? i guess it's turbo instead of n/a. ohwell.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think anyone has a clue how much HP the crank/rods can take. I heard a few months ago that one of the companies working on a turbo kit delayed releasing it because they blew an engine or two.... just rumors though. You could probably get a one off turbo set up for $4000 but finding a shop that could do it might be difficult.

ken