Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Interest on Intake Manifold for the 1st gen xB and xA

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
SL Member

The runners and plenum are different from the factory intake in oder to produce the desired power gains. Once you have the design finalize in terms of power rpoduction, all that is necessary is to fit it in the chassis.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Here is what the 120hp comes from. This is quoted from another forum "Yaris Intake Manifold"
"graph previously where we made 120 wheel hp using a version of the intake, CAI, no exhaust (just a down pipe) and the stock ex man."
"Your typical CAI, axle back and this intake will be closer to 115 wheel hp. "

Also the Yaris does have a different angle on the intake manifold.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 PM
SL Member

I'm not sure what this means-I posted the 120-hp dyno graph for the 1NZFE Yaris motor. Is there a question about it?

Originally Posted by cee_dub2003
Here is what the 120hp comes from. This is quoted from another forum "Yaris Intake Manifold"
"graph previously where we made 120 wheel hp using a version of the intake, CAI, no exhaust (just a down pipe) and the stock ex man."

Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

These questions were asked earlier in the post!
What upgrades does the test car have?
The numbers look great, but you did mention the test car wasn’t stock.

So I answered them !

Any questions?

Originally Posted by dynatek
I'm not sure what this means-I posted the 120-hp dyno graph for the 1NZFE Yaris motor. Is there a question about it?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM
SL Member

Aren't you the guy who is suppose to be supplying power numbers on the Weapon R intake? Odd that you would ask to come by to see my prototype intake?

The power numbers supplied for the Yaris intake came from a 2008 S Hatch. As should be the case, the intake was tested in all stock configuration as well as with a variety of different mods. The suplied dyno graph illustrates the results of the test run when the motor was equipped with an AEM CAI and TRD axle back (baseline) then the same combination with the new intake design. Gains are similar from a percentage stand point whether the CAI or axle back are present.

These questions were asked earlier in the post!
What upgrades does the test car have?
The numbers look great, but you did mention the test car wasn’t stock.

So I answered them !

Any questions?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I guess we will just wait and see for the results here as well.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 AM
SL Member

Is that a yes or no to the direct question about Weapon R affiliation and the request to come see our prototype? I'm sure the community is interested in the answer.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, I have seen a stock xB anywhere between 87 and 97whp. With CAI, exhaust, header maybe add 10-15hp so it's at 97-112hp (depending and low to high range).

$700 gets you an intake that ends at 115 whp (maybe) with these mods anyway?

Maybe I misread something but is this somwhat accurate? I would like to see the base dyno(stock xb) vs a modded xB (CAI, header, exhaust) vs that plus adding the intake. That would show how much it adds total and what the $700 actually buys.

I am only asking-when I read the xD jumped to 145 whp I was stoked. I own an xB though so that's the facts I am looking for.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 AM
SL Member

As indicated elsewhere-this test was run on a Yaris and not early Xb. Having run literally hundreds of dyno tests (direct back to back) on the Yaris, I can say that you will never find a 1NZFE (Yaris or Xb) that makes 115 wheel hp with CAI, ex and header. The gains offered by the intake illustrated on the graph are from ONLY the intake change-thus the gains came solely from the intake design. The intake alone will add more power to the Yaris motor than the combination of the CAI, Ex and header. I know because I tested them on the dyno for the book I am writing on B-segmenet cars.

Originally Posted by greybox
So, I have seen a stock xB anywhere between 87 and 97whp. With CAI, exhaust, header maybe add 10-15hp so it's at 97-112hp (depending and low to high range).

$700 gets you an intake that ends at 115 whp (maybe) with these mods anyway?

Maybe I misread something but is this somwhat accurate? I would like to see the base dyno(stock xb) vs a modded xB (CAI, header, exhaust) vs that plus adding the intake. That would show how much it adds total and what the $700 actually buys.

I am only asking-when I read the xD jumped to 145 whp I was stoked. I own an xB though so that's the facts I am looking for.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

For those of us wanting an intake, whats up and where are the pics?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's cool-I was trying to decode that because I saw somewhere I think it said it had some other mods. So it looks like a 15 hp gain roughly? (sorry I can't reference the dyno chart-my work computer blocks all personal storage inputs)

Right now I have a ram air mod w/ a K&N, header, axle back exhaust and it's quick enough for most driving but I want some more for highway merging, uphill accelerating, that kind of thing. I was always thinking somewhere down the road I would get a s-charger or turbo but 15hp from this intake without sacrificing all the reliability that the forced induction seems to take away-that would be just right.

The price makes a huge difference too over FI.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Is that a yes or no to the direct question about Weapon R affiliation and the request to come see our prototype? I'm sure the community is interested in the answer.

To answer your question yes....I personally have been in the Scion Community for 4-5 years. Almost since it started. Been through and seen a alot of aftermarket power parts on the Scion XB and to see a manifold make so much power is really hard to believe. (in my opinion)Also threads like this that don't have pictures of any type is really hard to see happen. other threads have at least been up front with the community and posted pictures posted info good or bad. I commend you Richard on what you have and will continue to do for the aftermarket industry as a whole. Hats off to you.

All i have seen on Scionlife is a whole lot of information about these manifolds without seeing one.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
SL Member

Please note so there is no misunderstanding, the power graph posted was from a yaris and not early Xb-I can say that we have not run an early Xb on my chassis dyno. As for the Yaris prototype, it doesn't make sesne to show a photo of the intake that does not represent a finished product. Kind of like a photo of a show car during the bondo/primer phase. I have never and will never ask for any desposits of any kind nor accept payment for any intakes until I have posted the results and photos of the finished product. My only question to the community (Yarsi, early Xb and Xd) is basically this-is there interest in an intake manifold that offers these gains, bolts on with all vacum and associated lines and fittings and runs with no CELs? If so, I will take a chance on the expense fo the production run and offer them for sale. I sent you PM regarding us working together-check it out.

To answer your question yes....I personally have been in the Scion Community for 4-5 years. Almost since it started. Been through and seen a alot of aftermarket power parts on the Scion XB and to see a manifold make so much power is really hard to believe. (in my opinion)Also threads like this that don't have pictures of any type is really hard to see happen. other threads have at least been up front with the community and posted pictures posted info good or bad. I commend you Richard on what you have and will continue to do for the aftermarket industry as a whole. Hats off to you.

All i have seen on Scionlife is a whole lot of information about these manifolds without seeing one.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there video to back up the dyno sheet? or at least pictures showing this part installed?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Not to add fuel to the fire but getting over 110 Hp is possible with just I/H/E. I know its possible, I have done it. I put down 112 hp and 113 fl/lbs with that, and my rims, synthetic fluids and prius spark plugs.

That being said, There is intrest from the Scion community, but don't hold your breath, the intrest you will get is from a small group. IMHO, Most of scionlife's members are into show and not go. When I say this I mean actual track racing, or atleast drag racing. The only people I can mention off the top of my head are Jsosa, and myself, We do ALOT roadracing (there are others, I just don't rember them all).

Alhtough I think $700 is a bit steep considering intake manifolds for most Honda applications are considerably cheaper, you got to remember that this is a one of a kind product since Elelbrock, Blox, and Skunk2 refuse to make one for the 1NZ-FE, I know because I called them repeatedly trying to make convince them to R&D on my xB.

Regarding those doubts that an upgraded manifold will make considerable power. I dare anyone to take off their manifolds and look inside the plenum, It's baffeld, you cant see across the other side of the inside of the plenum. So I think an intake manifold will make the biggest diference over I/H/E would, without going boost, or a tune.

What I would really like to see is the Scion community get over the bickering and ____ talking and the community as a whole become more competitive in the performance category like the Honda Fit has. The Fit gets way more performance parts than any xA/xB/xD does, and that dissapoints me because there isnt much of a difference for the Fit, So what makes them different? The owners and how they "tune" their cars.

I really hope an Intake manifold will become readily available to the general public sometime soon.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking at the Yaris Dyno, Most of the gain comes after 5K rpm.. is this right ??

I for one don't rev that high on my box. so for some one like me, whats the plus side ?? if any...

Thanks.
Keith.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 PM
SL Member

I would very much like to see a dyno sheet of that run, seems a little overly optimistic to think that the 1NZFE can produce 112 hp with the mods described, but even more so that the torque figure wil be that high relative to the hp number. Please share the dyno graph with us!

Originally Posted by bB384
Not to add fuel to the fire but getting over 110 Hp is possible with just I/H/E. I know its possible, I have done it. I put down 112 hp and 113 fl/lbs with that, and my rims, synthetic fluids and prius spark plugs.

That being said, There is intrest from the Scion community, but don't hold your breath, the intrest you will get is from a small group. IMHO, Most of scionlife's members are into show and not go. When I say this I mean actual track racing, or atleast drag racing. The only people I can mention off the top of my head are Jsosa, and myself, We do ALOT roadracing (there are others, I just don't rember them all).

Alhtough I think $700 is a bit steep considering intake manifolds for most Honda applications are considerably cheaper, you got to remember that this is a one of a kind product since Elelbrock, Blox, and Skunk2 refuse to make one for the 1NZ-FE, I know because I called them repeatedly trying to make convince them to R&D on my xB.

Regarding those doubts that an upgraded manifold will make considerable power. I dare anyone to take off their manifolds and look inside the plenum, It's baffeld, you cant see across the other side of the inside of the plenum. So I think an intake manifold will make the biggest diference over I/H/E would, without going boost, or a tune.

What I would really like to see is the Scion community get over the bickering and poop talking and the community as a whole become more competitive in the performance category like the Honda Fit has. The Fit gets way more performance parts than any xA/xB/xD does, and that dissapoints me because there isnt much of a difference for the Fit, So what makes them different? The owners and how they "tune" their cars.

I really hope an Intake manifold will become readily available to the general public sometime soon.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

I had a graph printed out, and since then lost it. I shouldn't have even mentioned it because I have no way of backing that claim. No one has believed me, and I understand. Either way I really don't care if people do, I know that with proper fitted spark plugs, synthetic fluids and I/H/E and 13 lbs. 16 inch rims, those numbers are possible. It's all a matter of choosing the propper modifications that compliment each other part, not just throwing parts on the car and claiming that it's tuned. Which is why I was asking about the plenum and runner size, on your prototype.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
SL Member

It is funny how the people who make outrageous claims always seem to lose their dyno sheets. To help illustrate reality to the forum, I will make you the following offer. I will pay to run your car on a chassis dyno-if your car makes the 112 hp and 113 lbs. ft. of torque (it must do both) in the condition described (CAI, hdr, ex, oil etc..) and no other changes, I will give you a free intake manifold. When it doesn't, you have to buy the manifold for the retail priceof $699 and post the true power numbers to the community. All you have to do is drive the car to Palmdale, CA for the dyno test-How about it? If it does what you say, you will have a genuine dyno graph to show to the other Scion members and a free intake.

Originally Posted by bB384
I had a graph printed out, and since then lost it. I shouldn't have even mentioned it because I have no way of backing that claim. No one has believed me, and I understand. Either way I really don't care if people do, I know that with proper fitted spark plugs, synthetic fluids and I/H/E and 13 lbs. 16 inch rims, those numbers are possible. It's all a matter of choosing the propper modifications that compliment each other part, not just throwing parts on the car and claiming that it's tuned. Which is why I was asking about the plenum and runner size, on your prototype.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go get your free manifold Kev!

Quick Reply: Interest on Intake Manifold for the 1st gen xB and xA