Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Less Weight = More Power. How to lose the lbs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I agree. I'd go even further: slapping parts on a Mustang or WRX is expected, and dare I say, somewhat passe and boring. Getting a solid power-to-weight ratio out of something like an xB, on the other hand, is way more badass. You have to WORK for it, and that makes it cool. Sport coupes are designed to go fast... making a breadvan go fast (handling as well as straight line performance) is so much cooler.

I drove a new Z06 last week, a Mosler to my high school reunion, and some other very quick cars over the years. I think I'd rather have a 180HP xB over ANY of them.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jones75254
Oh and Lizard, you make good points, but there is a reason we have THESE cars. We know there are many other cars out there we could purchase with more HP but its not about that. Its about getting the most out of THIS car, becuase we like the style and it is a fun hobby to get the most out of it. If we wanted a 13-14 second production vehicle we would just go out and buy a cheap 02-04 mustang GT, or 03-04 Evo or WRX. The amount of $ spent to get our cars faster would prob equal the amount of $ to purchase one of those cars, but thats not what its about. Anyone can go out and buy one of these cars, not do a thing to it, and have a fast car. Thats not really much fun though, making something out of nothing is the fun part IMO.
I understand, but sometimes, it gets to sounding like 180 hp is a big deal. Sure, if you like modding a car and want a feeling of accomplishment, ditch the bolt on supercharger and do a motor swap and build that.

THAT's building a car. Not bolting on an item

Trust me, I love my car. One of the reasons I got it was the fact it is such a cool looking machine and the features are beyond anyone's expectations. However, sometimes, in these power threads, it gets a little out of hand and reality gets put aside...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer_Rebellion
^^^ I agree. I'd go even further: slapping parts on a Mustang or WRX is expected, and dare I say, somewhat passe and boring. Getting a solid power-to-weight ratio out of something like an xB, on the other hand, is way more badass. You have to WORK for it, and that makes it cool. Sport coupes are designed to go fast... making a breadvan go fast (handling as well as straight line performance) is so much cooler.

I drove a new Z06 last week, a Mosler to my high school reunion, and some other very quick cars over the years. I think I'd rather have a 180HP xB over ANY of them.
These cars are cool, but no Z06. If you drove a Z06 the way it should be driven, you can't honestly say an XB (Even as modded and set-up suspension-wise as you can get) is better.

You need to take a ride with someone who can master the art of a V8 rear wheel drive car. I'm willing to take you a drive, but a family friend who has many professional race car races under his belt would change your mind... I'd be close, but two wheels is my specialty and I am not near as experienced as he is.

An XB set-up to the hilt is probably as fun as a modded out Mini Cooper (Original) running around in an Auto-X event. Awesome and fun, but take a Vette (Z06 or equiv.) around a track at speed and you'll see what I am talking about...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't drive my xB at the track, i use it to cart myself and my family around. Of course the Z06 is a better track car and all-around sports car, but that's not what my life requires. If my car can someday be as good as a Mini S but have 4 doors, well it doesn't get much better than that.

By the way, the guy I drove with in the Z06 is an editor and contributor at Grassroots Motorsports (THE Auto-X mag), and I have been in a car with him at the limit more than once, as well as a B-stock champion (Jetta was on 3 wheels the entire time, haha.)

I was impressed by the Z06 but I'd take an Elise or Exige over it any day, if I could justify a car like that.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is probably one of the most insightful, along with humbling threads I've ever read. I just now got into the whole performance modification thing, and already i wana quit becuase of the $$$:power ratio!!! lol..oh well its a new hobby for me.

I also agree with the fact that along with many others, I didnt by this car to blow away the STI in my neighbors garage. Rather i wanted something with its own personality to take off, something that i could look back on and admire (my hard earned money that is).

So with that said....i dont wana quit, rather i want the Badest Xa in Tampa Bay!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Yeah I decided that tomorrow I'm going to remove all my seats ( who
needs them). Then I'll remove the carpet and plastic along with all sound deadning and insallation. Stick with me I'm going for gold! Next I'm moving out by removing the doors, fenders, bumpers, hood, and hatch! What the hell is going on! Here is a better idea, people need to stop puting useless crap on thier cars. Make it look good, I have no problem with modding( I do it myself) I'm just sick of stupid crap ideas that do nothig but make a car less efficient.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would upgrade the drivetrain first before i do anything else, i think if u havent done ur drivetrain, whats the point of trying to reduce the weight of the car, we should transfer as much possible HP form the motor the the wheel first, after that is done, then worry about the weight reduction, the first tihng to do is the induction, and exhaust , it's to give as much better flow to the motor as we can to gian HP, second would be upgrading a lightweight flywheel, lightweight crank pulley and an agrrissive clutch, so that the car can transfer the most HP from the motor the the wheels, then weight reduction is the last thing to do.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer_Rebellion
I don't drive my xB at the track, i use it to cart myself and my family around. Of course the Z06 is a better track car and all-around sports car, but that's not what my life requires. If my car can someday be as good as a Mini S but have 4 doors, well it doesn't get much better than that.

By the way, the guy I drove with in the Z06 is an editor and contributor at Grassroots Motorsports (THE Auto-X mag), and I have been in a car with him at the limit more than once, as well as a B-stock champion (Jetta was on 3 wheels the entire time, haha.)

I was impressed by the Z06 but I'd take an Elise or Exige over it any day, if I could justify a car like that.
Again, I understand, but you were making it sound like (When we were talking performance - not everyday "normal" driving) the Z06 is a lesser car than a souped up XB. It isn't

I'm glad you too could experience a Z06 as it should be driven. To each their own, but certainly respect the types of cars when you compare.

A Mini S is a much more applicable car than a Z06 when comparing to a modded XB. Still not quite the same, but much closer...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by black_sand_box
Yeah I decided that tomorrow I'm going to remove all my seats ( who
needs them). Then I'll remove the carpet and plastic along with all sound deadning and insallation. Stick with me I'm going for gold! Next I'm moving out by removing the doors, fenders, bumpers, hood, and hatch! What the hell is going on! Here is a better idea, people need to stop puting useless crap on thier cars. Make it look good, I have no problem with modding( I do it myself) I'm just sick of stupid crap ideas that do nothig but make a car less efficient.
Here, here. I agree 100%. Too many of these cars get "Bling" treatment.

However, again I must say to each their own. There are certainly those who like the bling rather than the sing and from them, we do get some cool ideas that can cross over.

Of course, the funny ones are the guys with 3,000 pounds of stereo equipment in the back, but have a supercharger for car shows under the hood.

Guess they are going for a better way to equal out their weight front to back...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by USFxA
This is probably one of the most insightful, along with humbling threads I've ever read. I just now got into the whole performance modification thing, and already i wana quit becuase of the $$$:power ratio!!! lol..oh well its a new hobby for me.

I also agree with the fact that along with many others, I didnt by this car to blow away the STI in my neighbors garage. Rather i wanted something with its own personality to take off, something that i could look back on and admire (my hard earned money that is).

So with that said....i dont wana quit, rather i want the Badest Xa in Tampa Bay!!!
I agree and think this is the best post. This is what I conceed to when talking about these cars. I'm not about to sit here and brag over 160 hp from a bolt-on or a bottle. These cars are an extension of their owners. Customizing a car to show off your attitude is what it is all about. SOme like speed and performance, some like chrome and shiny stuff, others like stealth and keeping it looking stock, and others a combination of multiple ideas.

In the end, customizing a car is a great thing and a joy to many.

I just was crowing about these guys who puff their chests out and make it sound like an XB with 160-180 hp is a street killer. To each their own...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lizard, you are right bro, i wanted to ask you, have you ever witnessed a 160-180 hp Xb? I have witnessed a 150 hp (and thats dyno numbers, not the crank) Xb and let me tell you, that IS something to brag about. That thing ran high 13's low 14's. Considering what this car runs stock, that IS something to brag about IMO whether you are about speed, style or whatever. I also understand what u are saying, all views have their points, yes a vet is a freak machine, no doubt, but you have to give props to an Xb that puts up those #'s, no matter what car you have or like. With exception to the sti and evo, their are VERY few production vehicles that can hit those times.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

who needs ac and a roof over their head anyway?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just wanted to say this thread is awesome! I went this entire show season trying to have the biggest baddest rims, the most custom paint, and whatever the hell else I thought the judges wanted to see. SCREW THAT!!! Im totally done with caring about things like that. Everything that is showy has come off the car now. Everything on the car currently or that will be going on the car soon is geared towards performance and weight reduction. Another xB driving friend of mine has the same idea and together we are trying to work the balance between functional and faster. Its a much more mentally challening project than just ordering 18" rims with a drop to impress people. I wanna impress people now by driving past them and my car being as mean as I can make an xB. Lots of good ideas floating around in this thread... Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lizard, you are right bro, i wanted to ask you, have you ever witnessed a 160-180 hp Xb? I have witnessed a 150 hp (and thats dyno numbers, not the crank) Xb and let me tell you, that IS something to brag about. That thing ran high 13's low 14's. Considering what this car runs stock, that IS something to brag about IMO whether you are about speed, style or whatever. I also understand what u are saying, all views have their points, yes a vet is a freak machine, no doubt, but you have to give props to an Xb that puts up those #'s, no matter what car you have or like. With exception to the sti and evo, their are VERY few production vehicles that can hit those times.
^^^ Exactly.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

performance to a point is always the way to go. like said before, it's all about the balance between performance and functionality. personally, flashy cars are stupid unless they serve a purpose, such as purely a show car or purely a track car or whatnot.
just remember, you spend a good portion of your life inside a car...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lizard1
... Know how many stock machines roll off the assembly line that has at least that much power [160-180hp] and much, much more in under that price range? ...
Yeah, but how many of them are square?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...also in regards to the above post, how many current production cars off the line that are 160-180 hp run high 13's/low 14's.......none, the only ones i know of that were comparable in price range were the early/mid 90's MR2 turbos, and those were between 14.2-14.6. Im just simply trying to convey that 160-180 hp Xb is not comparable to other cars with the same hp due to size/weight/style. The MR2 is about the only one close.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ever raced a 170+ hp (at the wheel) road race bike? A 150-180 hp XB isn't impressive. It is probably where a cage should be in that class, but impressive is tough to say about any car from my experience.

Plus, any stock liter bike with even untrained riders can pull faster 1/4 mile times than that. Drag racing is pointless - my mom does it everytime the light goes from red to green...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

...also in regards to the above post, how many current production cars off the line that are 160-180 hp run high 13's/low 14's.......none, the only ones i know of that were comparable in price range were the early/mid 90's MR2 turbos, and those were between 14.2-14.6. Im just simply trying to convey that 160-180 hp Xb is not comparable to other cars with the same hp due to size/weight/style. The MR2 is about the only one close.
The point you are missing is that the performance mods needed to create such a feat is more than a $300 bolt on exhaust. Take ANY car like a Celica, Mini, WRX, Mustang, GTi, etc and do that same dollar amount of mods and see where those cars end up.

The deal is simple. To each their own. I understand the love of modding these machines - I can't seem to stay off these sites looking for the best performance mod I can find. I've done the intake, the wheels, the suspension, and am doing a custom CAT back system, but I also am not sitting here and discussing that an XB is a better machine than a Z06. Or, I'm not sitting here trying to convince others that a 160 hp XB is a site to see or witness.

Sure, grabbing a supercharger off the shelf and bolting it on is cool and when finished, you'll have a car with hp that should feel more "normal" in terms of sporty, but this isn't rocket science and it certainly isn't like finding the Holy Grail.

Simply put, these machines are an extension of each of us owners and what we feel is important to us and reflexs our ideals automotively. Just watch the chest puffing and the crowing out loud...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Back to effective weight reduction.

I put on new Enkei RPF1s today. 15 X 7 Aluminum wheel weighs 9#. Stock steelie weights 17.5#. Saves 8.5# per corner--34# total. Using a common coversion, for discussion only, that one pound of rotating weight saved equals about three pounds of chassis weight, my wheel change is the equivalent of removing about 102# of vehicle weight.

For the wheel only, it calculates to a 51% reduction of moment of inertia.

Quick Reply: Less Weight = More Power. How to lose the lbs.