Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Once and for all, 80 MPH at 4000 RPM is this Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 03:43 AM
SL Member

By the way, manual trans first gen here, and I’ve gotten my high mileage box up to 100 on the freeway going up hill. The power band for these 1.5’s in the lower gears are in the 2k to 3500 RPM range, 4th and 5th gear are in the 3800 and up RPM range. The design flaw with the transmissions, both auto and manual, is the gearing. First and second is pretty short, third leaves something to be desired, and the final two heats on the manual require to be in the upper RPM range to maintain freeway speeds. Don’t know about the automatics, as I assume they are a 4 speed with an overdrive.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:45 AM
SL Member

Went back and saw the post about the gearing ratios. Yes, a manual transmission hitting 4K at 80mph is completely normal, and an auto hitting 80 at 3250 is normal due to the different gearing ratios.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the gearing for the manual Scion xA ? I hear but I have no proof that the US market has a final drive of 3.7 whereas Japan gets 4.3. I would love to know the answer along with some support.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where did you source the gear ratio and final drive numbers from ? I'm trying to verify the final drive on a 2006 North American Scion xA manual, five speed.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:03 AM
SL Member

theres a couple ratios, xa's got one, xb's got a different one and yaris got another, ive also read the XD's got another one as well, so...youve got 4 options for ratios, my understanding is the north american XB1 has the tallest(take off) gearing and the gen1 yaris/echo has the lowest(freeway rpm)
Old 06-24-2023, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I am looking for authenticated proof in the form of official manufactures literature like a repair manual, sales brochure, etc. and hopefully online or maybe as an email attachment. Do you know where I can find this information ? I have not located anything like it on this Scion website.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:31 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by FabScion
Thanks, I am looking for authenticated proof in the form of official manufactures literature like a repair manual, sales brochure, etc. and hopefully online or maybe as an email attachment. Do you know where I can find this information ? I have not located anything like it on this Scion website.
reality is these numbers arnt posted listed or otherwise disclosed by the MFG..this aint the 50/60/70s anymore, if these were TRUCKS you might have a hope at getting that info

at best you might find some bogus review of one stating the final drive, but even that is often BS
at best...you can pull up the part numbers on toyota parts and look them over...the thing is the XB was geared lower to overcome its shape and weight, while the echo was geared higher to bring up its economy as it didnt need to fight its shape or weight with the same engine/trans combo

the info you are asking for is only going to come from us guys who have been inside the units....
Old 06-26-2023, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you, I found a Scion Life member who will email me some literature.

I think the lack of technical literature might be indicative of the brand, Toyota / Scion. I am also a MINI enthusiast with a 2005 Cooper S and its a little easier to find technical information.

I purchased a Scion xA transmission to use in my 2005 Echo because I believed the xA uses a 4.3 FD and its a simple plug and play in the Echo. However, some people in the Echo community stood up and said no, the xA does not have a 4.3 FD. Therefore, I started researching and couldn't find anything concrete

I began researching and its almost impossible to find manufacturer's literature. I spoke with Scion Life administrators and was surprised there is no repository of official Scion material. I did like you said and looked up xA and xB part numbers and they are the same but there was no indication they used the same FD. I downloaded the xA shop manual and there was no gear ratio of FD information.

Of course the Echo enthusiasts couldn't produce any vetted support for their claims but neither could I. In the end I concluded I must disassemble the xA transmission and take measurements which might not be a bad idea for learning how to do it and checking the health of the unit..
Old 07-02-2023, 02:58 PM
SL Member

I think the lack of technical literature might be indicative of the brand, Toyota / Scion. I am also a MINI enthusiast with a 2005 Cooper S and its a little easier to find technical information.

I purchased a Scion xA transmission to use in my 2005 Echo because I believed the xA uses a 4.3 FD and its a simple plug and play in the Echo. However, some people in the Echo community stood up and said no, the xA does not have a 4.3 FD. Therefore, I started researching and couldn't find anything concrete

I began researching and its almost impossible to find manufacturer's literature. I spoke with Scion Life administrators and was surprised there is no repository of official Scion material. I did like you said and looked up xA and xB part numbers and they are the same but there was no indication they used the same FD. I downloaded the xA shop manual and there was no gear ratio of FD information.

Of course the Echo enthusiasts couldn't produce any vetted support for their claims but neither could I. In the end I concluded I must disassemble the xA transmission and take measurements which might not be a bad idea for learning how to do it and checking the health of the unit..
If you want better freeway gearing, you can do the Corolla 5th gear swap. Lowers the RPM’s to around 3500 at 80mph. But I can guarantee 4K is normal for a manual first Gen xB at 80
Old 07-07-2023, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you,

Scion xA transmission in my Echo creates 3000 RPM at 60 mph sounds good to me for a five speed manual.

My 2005 MINI Cooper S with six speed manual is 3000 RPM at 60 mph.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was hoping the Scion xA had a 3.9 fd, but indeed, even in a Motor Trend comparison I read recently, the xA was running 4,100rpm at 80mph. They described it as "hummingbird." All the simulations on gearing I've ever tried, it's be closer to 3,700rpm if it was 3.9, so in my eyes, it's a slam dunk confirmation xA and xB share the 4.3.

As for autos, our 2003 Echo automatic runs around 3k at 80 (my manual Echo at 3,300rpm ish at 80) so I think all of us are the same for the auto.