Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pulled over for illegal exhaust....Got some questions

Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Pulled over for illegal exhaust....Got some questions

Originally Posted by salteen
I really can't catch a break here lately...the man has it out for me.

But anyways, this weekend on the way up to the Shenendoahs for some camping, I got pulled over by your typical bored state trooper profiling the bright green box cruising (at the speed limit) down his mountain roads. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "illegal exhaust" because my muffler is not "stock, or stock-like"

Then I proceeded to ask him if he works 2nd shift at the local Scion dealership because he has such a great knowledge of cars and what is stock and what isn't

I know the law and agree that aftermarket exhausts are illegal in VA and I'm not trying to argue that BUT I have a DC Sports axle-back exhaust which comes as standard equipment on the xB RS2...yes I know that it doesn't come standard on MY model but do you guys think that I have a good argument? Could I somehow get a letter from Toyota/Scion stating this information and do you think that would help me if I was to fight it? And another question, is there any way that I can fight this locally without driving 2 hours to the Augusta County courthouse?

On a side note...he didn't know what to put for "Model" on the ticket so he tried his best to draw his interpretation of the bB emblem. There's a dot and possibly an R and a weird design that looks like a U. It was a mess of a drawing and I really couldn't tell what it says.
dang that sucks man... and just to think.. that used to be my exhaust....

on a side note i was running a turbo back exhaust, straight pipes, no cat, and no resonator... so freakin loud, and i never got pulled over once... hope everything work out for ya
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's not your fault at all... Not only is it stock-like it is actually sold by dealers. If you fight this you would definitely win... Whether it's worth it to you is a question I can't answer..
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I would have just mailed in copies of all your evidence and explained that you should have not gotten the ticket in the first place and that you should not have to loose a days wages coming to court to prove yourself right. If I were you I'd let the media know about what happened to you and give them all the evidence and they may air it and get you some justice.
The whole thing stinks so bad because even if you win in court your wallet looses anyhow. I think that crap should be criminal and considered legal extortion.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xbguy1
Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
^ Wow... where in Wisc?
way up north don't really remember where.
I get up to Eagle River once a year... this last time, one of my friends got stopped by a ER cop; all he was doing was standing at the end of the driveway on his phone. That was too funny. The police have nothing to do up there.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fusionscion
dang that sucks man... and just to think.. that used to be my exhaust....

hope everything work out for ya
I forgot all about that, it's all your fault man! lol
thanks for the support.

As far as fighting it goes, I look at it this way:

I'm wasting a full 8 hours of leave.
I'm going to have to spend 4 hours of my day driving up and back from hickville.
Gas is pretty expensive nowadays so that tacks on at least $40 to the whole thing (2 tanks of gas)
I'm still going to have to pay the $35 court fee regardless of if it gets thrown out or not.

So I'm really wasting a full day of work and 4 hours of my time to go pay a $50 fine...it's REALLY not worth it and I have no personal point to prove, I'm never going to see that fool that pulled me over ever again so I could care less. I've already sent the court a letter and when I received a call from them it was basically to laugh at me and tell me what they will do if I don't show up in court. The Augusta Co. court system is a peice of work.

I've submitted a written complaint to the state police department as well as a voicemail complaint on their complaint hotline stating that I feel that I was profiled because I drive a vehicle that stands out and I was trailed by the officer for 10 minutes before being pulled over...blah blah blah.

Augusta Co. Courts: 1 - Jason: 0

It's all good...when the local police come around asking for donations I can honestyly tell them that I have donated plenty already.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Guess thats all you can do. I miss the old days when you got an exhaust ticket it was a fix it ticket. My buddy and I both got the same ticket because they couldn't get us for anything else. They were for exhaust not going past the rear axle. His Dad was a cop and so is mine. His dad wrote mine off and mine did his. It was pretty funny at the time 20 plus years ago.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by salteen
I'm still going to have to pay the $35 court fee regardless of if it gets thrown out or not.

How does that work? If they throw it out, then you will not have to pay anything, no?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I"m glad you got things taken care of. I got a young buck of a cop who pulled me over in MD the other night. Got me for tint and was trying to give me a ticket for my Strup exhaust. In MD the basic law is that as long as you have a CAT and muffler you're good. . . straight from the state trooper who comes to my shop.

Cops don't have anything better to do then dunk donuts and screw with people doing nothing wrong. I know there's been two shootings around my work and the cases continually go "unsolved". Anyway, you're not a loser when it comes to paying off a ticket that obviously was given to you by a dumb@. You're just doing what I did, not wasting what little time you have to do the right thing. About not fighting it, more then likely you would have gotten to court and fool probably wouldn't have even shown up. lol. I was in Stafford near NSH this weekend, funny enough I saw about a billion tC's and no xB's everytime I go up there I'm always on th look out for you. lol Enough of the half@ threadjack. lol
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call the hotline again and scream racism......you were profiled.....and anyways, that word has been so overused, no one remembers what it really means...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yeah, Tuner Profiled that's the ticket. "Get it" arr arrr
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just like to add my 2cents about rebadging ur car.

If a cop writes u a ticket and can't get the name of the car right due the fact that u have another name on the car then I'm sorry to say but he/she is a complete dumba$$. U can get out of a ticket for that and want to know why, well when the moran asks u for ur reggie guess what it tells him the make, model, vin#, and color of the car. Or if he has a scanner he can scan ur window sticker and it will tell him the same thing(not sure if this one is applicable in all states). So there is NO excuse on there part to get it wrong.

Another thing if that cop who pulled over the guy for rebadging his rsx as a integra then I guess everyone on this forum should be fined as well. On my reggie it says I drive a toyota yet the badges on my car say I drive a scion. So does that mean I should get a ticket?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh... the beauty of TRD. It *IS* stock, factory certified to not exceed 95 decibels...

And you can claim it came that way from the dealer, even if you install it yourself...

As for the ticket, just pay it, if there are no points involved... You'll get no justice at the local courthouse, bet on that...