Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Are Replacement Batteries all terrible or is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are Replacement Batteries all terrible or is it just me?

Are there truly new batteries available that are not reconditioned? I might get an Optima because...

I'm starting to think that all replacement batteries are terrible. I have less than 101k miles and the car has had at least 5 batteries, had a replacement in my 2005 xB it when I got it in 2009 and have put in 3 more and am ready for the next one

Somewhere in there I bought a 4 year battery from a club store, I got most of my money back after 18 months.

Next one was a 3 year from AC Delco Professional from at local auto supply store, failed after around 18 months and warranty terms were to exchanged for another one off the shelf. I think I asked the store about new vs reconditioned and they said all batteries in our size are reconditioned nowadays.

Now the warranty replacement has failed after less than a year.

I know Optima is expensive but I'm just about ready to get one rather than do another warranty service - it would be worth $200 if it ended up being less battery headaches. Not necessarily because of Optima's design but because I would hope that it's really a new battery.

Or is it just me? I've done lots of troubleshooting but it's still possible that I have some weird intermittent short? I can go for months or years without a problem. Alternator consistently says 14.1 volts or thereabouts.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-04-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: fixed date when I got car - it was 2009 not 2010
Old 06-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Given the fact you can go months or years between issues leads me to believe it's not a short...or, if it is, it's a very random one that would make troubleshooting almost impossible.

Alternator putting out 14.1V is right where it should be.

I'd venture to guess you've just had a run of crappy batteries. I've got an AutoZone Duralast Gold in my xB that's been in there a shade over five years with no issues so far. Relatively inexpensive and has treated me well so I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.

As far as an Optima battery, I think production of them shifted to Mexico a few years ago and lots of issues with them can be found on forums. They used to be one of the best batteries out there but I think the quality has slipped a little over the last five years or so. Just because it's $200 doesn't mean it's any better than an $80 battery...I know a few Lightning guys who have gotten 7 or 8 years out of the Motorcraft batteries in their trucks, so good batteries can be found.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Given the fact you can go months or years between issues leads me to believe it's not a short...or, if it is, it's a very random one that would make troubleshooting almost impossible.

Alternator putting out 14.1V is right where it should be.

I'd venture to guess you've just had a run of crappy batteries. I've got an AutoZone Duralast Gold in my xB that's been in there a shade over five years with no issues so far. Relatively inexpensive and has treated me well so I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.

As far as an Optima battery, I think production of them shifted to Mexico a few years ago and lots of issues with them can be found on forums. They used to be one of the best batteries out there but I think the quality has slipped a little over the last five years or so. Just because it's $200 doesn't mean it's any better than an $80 battery...I know a few Lightning guys who have gotten 7 or 8 years out of the Motorcraft batteries in their trucks, so good batteries can be found.
100% agree with this. Optimas are garbage now. I've had much better luck with Duralast Gold's as well. Essentially just try to find anything that is manufactured by Johnson Controls.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by drizzoh
100% agree with this. Optimas are garbage now. I've had much better luck with Duralast Gold's as well. Essentially just try to find anything that is manufactured by Johnson Controls.

Au Contraire.
Optima Batteries are Solid. They come with a 3 year Free Replacement Warranty.

FYI, they are made by Johnson Controls.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-232519/page5/

Old 07-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by MR_LUV

Au Contraire.
Optima Batteries are Solid. They come with a 3 year Free Replacement Warranty.

FYI, they are made by Johnson Controls.
And 'double au contraire'...Optimas are made by Johnson Controls but they did shift production to Mexico in the early 2000's.

Optima used to have one of the best warranties in the industry but now it is just a straight 36 month replacement warranty...your battery dies in month 37 and you're buying a new one at full price.

Duralast Gold has a full five year warranty with the first three years being full replacement and the remaining 24 months being prorated, which is a better warranty than is even on the 'Duralast Platinum'.

Some batteries still even have a seven year warranty. The Motorcraft I just bought for my Lightning has a free 3-year replacement and is prorated over the next four years. That tells me Ford has got some confidence in whoever it is making their batteries.

I'd still argue the Duralast Gold is equally as good as an Optima with a better warranty on top of it.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Some batteries still even have a seven year warranty. The Motorcraft I just bought for my Lightning has a free 3-year replacement and is prorated over the next four years. That tells me Ford has got some confidence in whoever it is making their batteries. I'd still argue the Duralast Gold is equally as good as an Optima with a better warranty on top of it.
And 'Triple au contraire'. Not that long ago, Costco sold a Kirkland 100-month battery! Free Replacement on 1st 3 years and Prorated Refund after that.
They realize that was too good of a deal so they drop it in 2014 and now sell Interstate Batteries.

Even though, the Duralast Gold had a better warranty and cost less less than my Optima REDTOP battery, it was just a 'ugly' standard black look battery.
My OEM Scion/Toyota Battery was rock solid after 3 years, I still ditch it for my Optima REDTOP to complete my 'Red Theme Look' I want under my hood.

"Luv is my Name", Modding is my Game!" https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-232519/page5/

As my own Cardinal Rule, I Replace my battery EVERY 3 YEARS even if it is still good. I don't want to gamble 'stretching' my battery to see how long it lasts.

For me, Money is No Object. I want Reliability and Peace of Mind. This method has worked fine for me for the last 50 years

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-09-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
And 'Triple au contraire'. Not that long ago, Costco sold a Kirkland 100-month battery! Free Replacement on 1st 3 years and Prorated Refund after that.
They realize that was too good of a deal so they drop it in 2014 and now sell Interstate Batteries.

Even though, the Duralast Gold had a better warranty and cost less less than my Optima REDTOP battery, it was just a 'ugly' standard black look battery.
My OEM Scion/Toyota Battery was rock solid after 3 years, I still ditch it for my Optima REDTOP to complete the 'Red Look' I want under my hood.

As my own Cardinal Rule, I Replace my battery EVERY 3 YEARS even if it is still good. I don't want to gamble 'stretching' my battery to see how long it lasts.

Money is No Object to me. I want Reliability and Peace of Mind. This method has worked fine for me for the last 50 years
I remember the Kirkland 100 month batteries and I think they're probably still stinging from it too as I'm sure they warrantied a ton of batteries. Putting a warranty on something like that, which most people completely ignore until the point it doesn't work anymore, had to cost them a fair chunk of change.

C'mon...the Duralast is such a 'pretty' battery with it's nice gold top. I'm like you and if my Lightning didn't have a battery tray located where the spare used to be I would have an Optima with a billet battery tray and hold down. I'd even consider an Optima blue top for the Box but a deep cycle marine battery probably isn't the best choice.

Replacing a battery every three years is a great idea but most people don't have the desire to be that 'maintenance intensive', nor are they going to be that proactive. I keep mine on a Battery Tender when it's not going to be driven for a few days and I do have an Antigravity XP-10 Micro Start jump start kit that I carry in the car with me.

Net-net, if you get three years of a battery these days consider it about average and anything beyond that should be viewed as a bonus.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM
SL Member

Never crossed mind to go with any of those new fangled AGM or a "maintenance free" batteries, in the old day I went with the Sears Diehard, but those days are long gone.
I go with Interstate with caps to keep an eye on it, never had an issue in 20 years ever, even here in Idaho with huge temperature swings, keep the distilled water level up always,
throw it on a charger once in a while overnight, stock alternators aren't always up to the task, low voltage sulfation is just a killer if neglected..
Based on being ex Navy Electrician (Nuclear Navy)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default O.T. (Off-Topic)

Originally Posted by Shadowbirdie
Never crossed mind to go with any of those new fangled AGM or a "maintenance free" batteries, in the old day I went with the Sears Diehard, but those days are long gone.
I go with Interstate with caps to keep an eye on it, never had an issue in 20 years ever, even here in Idaho with huge temperature swings, keep the distilled water level up always,
throw it on a charger once in a while overnight, stock alternators aren't always up to the task, low voltage sulfation is just a killer if neglected..
Based on being ex Navy Electrician (Nuclear Navy)
Shadowbirdie,

Welcome to SL!

Based on your Navy Service you are Qualified to be Awarded the Navy icon is you so desire:

Active duty military and Veteran profile icons now available!

Details are in the Link Above.

Thank you for your Service!

Administrator
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM
SL Member

Up to about 10 years ago I used to get 5+ years consistently out of all my standard batteries.
Now if I don't get an AGM I am lucky to get 4.
The AGM in my van is on 7 years and still going strong.
The car went through 2 standard batteries in that time and now it's on a AGM.