Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Supercharger need Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Snooters
Originally Posted by Egglick
My shop teacher always told us that it didn't matter a whole lot what type of oil you use, so long as you change it regularly (every 3k miles).
changing your oil every 3k miles is a marketing myth. after break in, every 10K is fine. your car isn't going to last longer if you change it every 3K miles. most of you won't believe me, because i know the 3K miles is ingrained in your heads.
Modern engines can tolerate much longer intervals. I agree that the 3,000 mile requirement is mostly a mixture of marketers trying to get you to spend as much as possible on oil changes and old-thinking. Most manufacturers today recommend 5,000 mile oil changes with a typical driving style. Even that's conservative. Cars with automated oil change lights like BMWs can often go far beyond 5,000 miles before indicated a change is needed.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mgithens
the secret to long spurts between oil changes isn't pretending to know about oil, it is in filtration... having the cleanest oil in your car is the ultimate setup... you are not gonna get this with a standard $8 spin on filter, so we are forced to change out oil more often... the original Model As and Ts that Ford was making almost 100 years ago had no filtration system on them, but he learned that oil pumps and cylinder walls benefit greatly from having the clean oil, so he came to realize that a filter of some type would help... well fast forward a few decades and every single car is found having a filter on it... now fast forward through the years up until now and the tolerances between parts and quality of engines has progressed to the point where trash in the oil is reduced, engines are maintained better temperaturewise and so now the oil is not seeing the harsh conditions that it did from cars of the past...
You're still assuming that modern engines breakdown as quickly as older ones. This means less particulates in the oil given a mileage. As for the filter, many will argue that changing it too often is not beneficial as it needs a specific amount of debris in it to function optimally.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member

If the TRD supercharger is anything like the one in the pictures I've seen it will be a roots type blower.

To address your question about oil for the SC, it depends on a lot of things. Some SC have sealed bearings and need no oil lubrication, others have external oiling methods that can be either a stand alone system, or a oiling system that is used in conjuction with the car's own oiling system. The later scenario is pretty rare. If the SC option is the latter type, then I would go synthetic, otherwise your car should be fine with normal oil. The only worry I would have about using synthetic oil in a SC engine would be the break-in period for the vehicle. During the break-in period your valve seats and and cylinder walls will be under serious stress, and the thinner sythetic oil might be troublesome for the rings to set up properly.

Finally, the colling off question... SC do not need a cooling off period like turbos do, because they do not deal with as high temps as turbos and they do not spin as fast so you do not have to worry about the impeller blades on the SC warping because you didn't properly cool them down.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Snooters
Originally Posted by Egglick
My shop teacher always told us that it didn't matter a whole lot what type of oil you use, so long as you change it regularly (every 3k miles).
changing your oil every 3k miles is a marketing myth. after break in, every 10K is fine. your car isn't going to last longer if you change it every 3K miles. most of you won't believe me, because i know the 3K miles is ingrained in your heads.
Scion (toyota) recommends every 5k since they built the car they should know. Jiffy lube started the every 3k mind set. Of course changing oil every 3k sure doesn't hurt your car in anyway and since the cost is minimal not such a bad idea you do get a slight benefit from it. unlike your air filter which actually works better after it gets a little dirty then when it is brand new. according to the pennizoil reps.