Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

turbokit

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the only reason I am remotely interested is due to my elevation... I am at 5000 ft and drive every weekend to over 10,000ft... so there is no friggin air... all the Subarus and VWs have the benefit of forced induction, I don't want a monster... I am looking to just get back the 108hp... I am probably making about 90hp at the flywheel here at the house... and at 10,000 I am probable down to about 75hp... I will never blow my engine by giving it 7psi of boost, because that will put me at 19psi total pressure which is just 5psi of boost for you sea level folks... ambient pressure at sea level is 14.7... we are right at 12.2 or 12.3 here...

hotbox, you started with giving us the "newbi" label... that is where the tone started...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello,

jdaniels wrote: Hmm, the only person that broke anything was EL Prototypes. I, for one, have not broken anything yet @ 8psi. I've been doing this since July...

Wow, you have been lucky so far. We didnt have such the luck even with proper fueling and timing. Beleive me when I say that were not the only manufacture to pop one of these motors, just the only ones to step up and inform public.

ELP
Old 01-21-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am a second lucky booster....
i have 12psi since august. nothing to note (besides the clutch)...
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well mgithens , i apologize for callin people bewbi's , and dg i still dont believe you are boostin 12 , and if you were yer motor will be toast. , hmmmmm
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

Someone keeps saying "seal your heads." I'm not sure what the means.

Can someone clarify?

Also, seeing a 50+ HP increase at 7-8 # is about right. You're seeing 50% which is what you should expect.

You can run 8# in my Cobra and see a 50% increase. (260 to 400ish) That's assuming you use an S Trim blower and don't mess with the intake. One of the things I see are misrepresentation of the term "boost." It's not a measure of the amount of air being forced in but a measure of back pressure.

Example:
If you go to Mc Donalds and buy a big soda it comes with the cannon sized straw. With minimal effort you can suck the soda out of the cup.

Now, if you try to use one of those coffee sized swizzle sticks you get practically no soda even though you're using the same effort.

The measure is to be found in the effort. If you change the cup to a turbo or super charger and your mouth becomes the intake (for some of you homo's it is the intake.. just kidding) you can see what I mean.

So, my point is this:
Don't let "boost" be the be all, end all measure. If you're serious about making this work aim for all around efficiency. If you run a reasonably efficient intercooler (front or side mount at this power level) you'll see less boost but more power... It's all relative.

Hope this makes sense,
Alan
Old 01-21-2005, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by hotbox05
well mgithens , i apologize for callin people bewbi's , and dg i still dont believe you are boostin 12 , and if you were yer motor will be toast. , hmmmmm
well, it is boosting 12psi...(several witnesses) i guess i am lucky ....

you know it prolly is gonna pop one day...but then again it might not....
but, its ok...you are not the first to doubt it...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah it's impossible to boost higher psi from only installing a header , psi can only increase with a supercharger if you up the pulley to spin the sc faster or if you changhe the turbine inside. it is mechanically impossible to raise boost , power yes , hell the addition of the header helped power alot but... i'm not hating or flaming i am just stating the facts that i have read , experienced and asked about with many of my previous auto tech instructors. as long as your happy with the setp cool beans , i wish i was happy with my setup.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
LOL...sorry to burst your bubble but 25psi wont even get 500hp. My buddies 240sx runs 27psi and gets 462whp and thats 50hp more from the start with a complete build up. I don't see the stock block pushin that high for a few more years and even then I don't believe people will make the parts to fully redo the engine.

With that last comment making it seem like you're actually building a car like that...you totally sound like a buddy of mines who's duin a 2jz unibody xB.

Connecting rods will not stand 7psi? That's absolute bull____...they will hold that daily for years to come with proper tuning and fuel/timing upgrades.

"that and the fact you need new injectors w/ a higher flow, a new fuel pump, and tweaking of the ECU"
Totally agree...If you do a turbo and don't do that then you're a COMPLETE MORON and I would pay you to let me beat your dumbass into the ground.

Who ever wanted the AWD bB...my buddy has one for sale in cali for $7k with NO ENGINE.

This thread has turned to garbage.
sorry to bust YOUR bubble but i never said a turbo at 24 psi would hit 500whp...i said with all the mods i mentioned. new cams alone and an underdrive pulley kit will normally add about 30-50hp not to mention i forgot to throw the venom 400 perfomance module in there, that adds 56% of stock hp. plus the turbo, weight reduction, intake, exaust, blah blah blah you WILL have a 500whp car..now, im not saying your car wont completely fall apart once you hit 150-160mph...but i am saying, it can be done. but on a lighter note, one of my buddies is doing a 240 conversion to a sylvia, hes already got the right hand drive, and tail lights, he just needs the odds and ends now. my brother is also buying a skyline r-34 (imported) motor ($7k alone) and putting it in his TOYOTA TERCEL...that thing is going to scream like a fat kid in a candy shop.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

wow a r-34 motor will not fit a tercel , nor why would one do so? funny , must be nice to have enough money to toy around with ideas such as this
Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
wow a r-34 motor will not fit a tercel , nor why would one do so? funny , must be nice to have enough money to toy around with ideas such as this
this is the funniest thread ive ever read

DGhotlava
were you at the Palisades meet a while back. i did see a boosted lava but knowing me i dont remember anybodys name
Old 01-21-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Paul, you are correct, that was me...

hotbox05, you said you did not belive i was boosting 12 psi.
i just wanted to rebute that. there are people on this forum who have had rides in it, and can confirm the facts...

i know you are not hating or flaming (it takes more than this to get me going.). your advice is pretty solid and you seem to know what you are talking about.(unlike most others...)